A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I am not really concerned about the light it was more what that other terminal was.. but I am gonna totally jump subject... I'll come back to that problem after I figure this out. And flatcat I am trying to verify if it will charge properly. Not running yet....

As I said I am prepping to start the motor for the first time in 12 years and after I just rebuild it and everything else around it. Still a shell but all the necessary systems are done... I left the distributor oil pump gear out so I could oil prime the motor till this day...

I don't know WTF is going on.... I can't get the oil pump to sit back where it needs to... I lined everything up but it just doesn't go. I have about a .200 gap. It the pump and shaft that was always in the motor but gear on the crank is new. Do they have different sizes? Like L16 vs l20? I remember I did compare them nothing jumped out at me as being wrong.. And wouldn't you know the only old part I can't find is that damn gear. Gave up going to sleep hoping for some wisdom from the datsun gods...

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How I understand it, you do not prime the oil pump with a shaft going thru the dist hole on these trucks, you just submerge the oil pump in oil and turn the shaft till it is full, then install on engine and you are good to go.

The L16/18 distributor drive shafts are shorter than the L20b drive shaft, I do not believe they are interchangeable, and I don't recall what engine you have now, I thought it was an L16, I will have to read the thread again.

The distributor is not on the engine yet, correct?

• Like 1

Flatcat... I mean more specific the gear on the crank that drives the dizzy and pump...

And Wayne i did that because there was a gap between when I build the motor and now... I would run the oil pump and turn the motor over buy had to keep areas lubed up. May not have been necessary it that's what I was doing... and yes it's an L16 oil pump and dizzy shaft were on the motor before the rebuild and no the dizzy is not in, that's what I was trying to accomplish bUT I couldn't seat the oil pump...

• Like 1

One type of gear drives the dizzy, another totally different type of gear turns the timing chain, but the dizzy drive shaft would not come close to going in if you had two timing chain gears on it.

I am not familiar with the L16 dizzy drive shaft, can it be put in backwards, it doesn't seem like it could be, but I have not looked closely at one before.

Will the pump go all the way in without the dizzy drive shaft being in there?

• Like 1

Isn't the oil pump shaft one piece?

If one is shorter than the other then something would be a miss.

L20B shaft in an L16, dizzy wouldnt seat.

L16 shaft in an L20B something isn't engaging, pump or dizzy.

Is the word hear that slides on to the crankshaft reversible? I think it is.

Too cold in my garage to go dig out the engine I have on a stand and play around swapping parts to discover...

• Like 1

Hey wayno yes pump fits fine...

And flatcat yes it's one piece.. this dizzy shaft, pump and timing cover were in there and working before I did the rebuild. I thibk it might be reversable but either way there is a large chamfer that faces one way or the other, i remeber stopping and making sure i put it on the right way.. I know the worm gear is on the crank correctly and I can feel it engage but there is an obvious clearance issue. Is there something in the cover I could be hitting? Is it a possible alignment issue with something?

• Like 1

I am not really concerned about the light it was more what that other terminal was.. but I am gonna totally jump subject... I'll come back to that problem after I figure this out. And flatcat I am trying to verify if it will charge properly. Not running yet....

As I said I am prepping to start the motor for the first time in 12 years and after I just rebuild it and everything else around it. Still a shell but all the necessary systems are done... I left the distributor oil pump gear out so I could oil prime the motor till this day...

I don't know WTF is going on.... I can't get the oil pump to sit back where it needs to... I lined everything up but it just doesn't go. I have about a .200 gap. It the pump and shaft that was always in the motor but gear on the crank is new. Do they have different sizes? Like L16 vs l20? I remember I did compare them nothing jumped out at me as being wrong.. And wouldn't you know the only old part I can't find is that damn gear. Gave up going to sleep hoping for some wisdom from the datsun gods...

I'm going to reply before reading all the others comments. Maybe you guys caught the problem.

You said you are using all the ingredients supplied from a running engine. Does that include the oil pump, distributor drive spindle and crank mounted distributor drive gear? It sounds like you maybe lost the drive gear...?

Let's assume you have all the right pieces. The only thing I can think that may be causing it to hang up is the oil slinger. You know, the big washer that goes behind the front cover crank seal. If this is put on backwards, it is possible that the spindle is hitting it. Other than that, if the spindle is properly inserted in the pump before you stick it in the front cover, there's not much else that can go wrong. Did the front cover get buggered where the spindle seats? Doubt it. Are you using shims on the drive spindle to decrease the gear deflection? Doesn't sound like it.

There is one possibility of incorrect pieces. The old style drive gear (on the crank) was larger in diameter than the new style. They were usually made out of brass and they looked physically different. They also required the correct corresponding drive spindle, which had a smaller driven gear.

If the oil pump has been replaced, check to see if there's a problem with the new pump. I use only OEM Nissan pumps and have never had a problem with them. I have seen problems with the aftermarket pumps and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find one with an improperly cast housing or incorrect shaft.

Also, the length of the bolts. There are two long ones and two short ones. This is pretty obvious.

When you bolt the pump up, and the bolts presumably become tight, is there play between the oil pump and the bolts? I mean, can you jiggle the pump up and down? Or does it tighten and bind somewhere inside the cover?

When in doubt, start over and use as many of the original pieces as possible. As a worst case scenario, you may need to remove the front cover and mock all the parts up in the cover and have a look. The problem may become glaringly obvious only then.

• Like 2

The problem with the charge light, I have seen this before. I once had to isolate the charge light with a relay. Sounds stupid, right? It was an easy fix. But that time was different as the custom dash I made for the car had LED indicator lights which added to the problem. I recall that we were also using an electric radiator fan and that may have been feeding back power in though the back door.

There's got to be a problem somewhere. Maybe a diode strategically placed could fix the problem.

• Like 1

Some food for thought thanks... and no distributor is not in yet.... the only thing new is that damn crank gear. Bolts not an issue .... the pump and spindle were in once before... the timing cover was fine .... the gear looked the same as the old too but who knows. Gonna try one more time tomorrow and see what happens. Hoping to not have to take the timing cover off...

• Like 1

You can likely look up the oil pump hole and see if the oil slinger is backwards, as it would be in the way if it can get in the way of the worm gear.

Also if the dist. drive shaft is only a 1/4 of an inch different from end to end, then it could be backwards, I always insert the distributor drive shaft in and get it oriented correctly(11:30ish), and use a small pair of vice grips to hold it in position so it don't drop, then I install the oil pump, the distributor comes last.

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of is if the dist. drive shaft for some reason is not aligning with the dist, drive shaft hole at the top, that would hold the oil pump from going all the way up, but you likely would have had the oil pump bolts finger tight and looked up there yourself to make sure that wasn't the issue.

• Like 1

So everything seems correct got working on it the morning.started off good but not sure... I installed the shaft and when I rotated the crank it drew itself up on the other gear...  but apparently it does stop drawing it up because all of a sudden I can't move the crank easily... if I rotate the crank back it moves it back down.... seems to me the tolerance on the gear is off.... slightly to big..... trying to find my old gear .

• Like 1