A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

521 body parts are measured in inches.  The grease (Zerk) fitting is probably just a standard one that will fit almost any American car built before 1980.

All body bolts on a 521 are SAE.  Brake lines too.  Engine, transmission use metric fasteners.

My kudos to you guys working on 521 trucks on the east coast.  It is much easier to get 521 used parts on the side of the USA closest to Japan.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So here's 2 other mods I have had to do.... first since the center bearing is hard to get I decided to see what the drive shaft shop could do.. they did a complete balance and over hall and i used a Volvo center bearing. ..

20160805_162451_zpsh1epnp7k.jpg

Came from a 98-00 Volvo v70/570

Part number 14850-50

20160805_162451_zpsh1epnp7k.jpg

It bolted to two holes that were already in the frame where the bearing original mounted... I still bolted the stock bracket around it just in case..

• Like 1

What I figured out is you can use a filter from a 95 Volvo 850...

The stock 521 s8 is 4.5 inches long

And s16 is a little shorter around 3.5

And what I went with was the Volvo one.

3 inches long i plan to use the Bosch 3321

Using an stps7328 because it was in stock and I am gonna change it after 500 miles anyhow....

20161027_172651_zpslohcu8sw.jpg

• Like 1

Please ignore oil all over everything issue, I finally figured out the oil sensor was leaking thru the vent hole in it.

I am kinda curious here, why did you cut your engine mounts, I believe that I put late model 620 motor mounts in my 521 work truck and I just mounted the engine, I didn't have to modify/cut anything, my oil filter clears fine.

DSCN4960_zpsdndwztgy.jpg

DSCN4957_zpsf2hssodo.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe i missed something some where. At first i was gonna use a 510 mount. It was close but not perfect .. cutting the bracket wasnt my first choice but i couldnt figure another way.. Honesty yours look short compared to what i received.. I tried bolting things on and just wasn't even close... couldn't find anyone's post on motor mounts. So this is what a did... at least now they are cheap and easy to replace..

• Like 1

As I recall I used late model 620 mounts but maybe they were early 620 mounts, it was kinda a pain to mount them as I did it with the engine and everything else in place, but I got them in there.

Yes yours look taller than mine as I have a couple of them mounts in my motor mount box, I also have a few of the shorter ones I am using right now, and they are slightly shorter.

You need to raise your engine more, use thicker pieces of metal than you are using to get the engine high enough to use a normal oil filter, the bigger the filter the better, to me it looks like you cut to much of the passenger side mount off.

• Like 1

I definitely didnt cut to much. the filter actually touched the mount... I kept the engine in a static location and modified one at a time so I know the engine wouldnt move and it stayed where it needs to be.. screw it. it's been cut and welded no going back.. at least I have a part number. .

• Like 1

No I bought these from rock auto and now they don't even list them... I crossed the Dea part number and amazon say it's for the 521 and the 720.. not correct for a 521 about half inch taller and i had to drill new bolt holes. they have them for the j motors and what they list for the l series seems wrong....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...