A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I accidently used dome pistons from wiseco, i think they were either 7 or 9cc domes on them, I have it written down somewhere. Flattop would have made the engine build easier since I had to use a .050 copper spacer on the spark plugs and clearance about 2cc from the heads combustion chamber to make them fit....

20141109_103524.jpg

20160211_042902.jpg

In the end it was alot of work to be that precise by hand but I am extremely happy with the end result....

I was gonna post a video from today but all u could hear was wind noise since I had no windshield....

Tried to upload an old video of the engine starting but postimage doesn't seem to do video, and it's nothing I feel like posting on u tube....

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stuck the hood on today.... had to employ the wife and kid...

20170805_135432.jpg

You can see the miss match in color on the next pic.... both the cab and hood should have been the same.... this is why I am respraying the cab and most of the hood...

20170805_135423.jpg

Trying to get organized and install what I can that's not in the way and get things masked off to prep for the respray.....

• Like 1

Honestly I think it was me, inexperience ... the cab was the last to receive the top coat, and it was my first attempt to paint something..... after spraying so much through the gun I found a screen that I probably should have cleaned better....

Since the cab.... I painted my engine and various other parts, and recently the hood and other trim pieces..

I learned a few things each time....

Mostly that I hate painting... .

• Like 1

Well gotta love after market....

So it appears the aluminum radiator I bought should have had the filler neck about an inch to the right..... tried to close my hood and the cross supports under the hood hit the cap.... luckily I was able to use round hammer and gain a little clearance, shuts fine now....

Next i had to make a clip to hold the hood release cable, don't know where that went... then i had to space the top of the radiator out because the release mechanism was getting caught on the radiator... used a 1/4 piece of rubber Under the top bolts and that problem got solved....

20170806_141028.jpg

20170806_141256.jpg

I was also able to install my wiper motor and got that working again....

20170806_154747.jpg

And bolted these on...

20170806_154710.jpg

Looks the same on the other side....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still got a bunch to mask off, which is ok since I still need to buy the paint...

In the mean time tackling some small problem.....

Added some big washers to the body mounts.. half the washers I got with the energy suspension body mounts were too big on the outside diameter, and the one I used was barely bigger than the head of the bolt.....

20170813_130143.jpg

Much better.....

Also took care of my oil pan leak finally... ( hopefully)

20170813_130125.jpg

My son helped me torque the bolts... I love when he tries to help but I always forget to take pics.... mostly because I was under the truck when he came to help...

Probably pull the seats back out next, get them out of the way for now....

I have some dyno mat to be installed. And a carpet kit for after I repaint.....

Trying to keep things moving forward....

Also learned something about my headlights, my son was asking about what goes where.... i didn't realize the high and low beam headlight buckets are slightly different.. I have them completely apart replacing the hardware.... now I know to pay attention when reassembling to make sure the light go in the correct location.....

• Like 2

On a side note took my son to a local fair... had dirt bike stunts, monster trucks and a demolition derby....

Never realized they had different classes for the demolition, 4cyl, 6, and 8.....

My son and i are Trying to talk my wife into letting me have her subaru forester for next year... way more fun than just trading in for a new car. Besides it likes crashing. She keeps hitting shit with the front passenger side.... I had a new fender and before I could get it on she hit something else same side... maybe I should let her drive at the derby....

• Like 2

Just sometimes good to know..... up here in mass datsuns are lonely..... very spread out....

you're on the wrong side of the country. The correct coast will welcome you with closed arms and sideways glances but when you roll to a datsun meet up you'll be fine. Just stay out of cali
  • Like 1

Ya the cali thing didn't work out for me... been there tried that... as I said some where.. atleast a left with a dog and a datsun....

It's been a fun journey so far...

my hope is Canby next year with my son...

I have been all around the US but never really up across the northern states.... would be a fun road trip.....

• Like 1

Wow fixing photobucket sucks... only got page one done.... 120 pics to go. ..

I took screen shots of all my missing pics... it kind of sucks but gets the job done..... so from the beginning to page 18 sorry, blame photobucket...

It's the best I plan on fixing the earlier pages.... if anyone has a pic they wanna see better or about something i have done just ask and I'll post it to the current pages..... thanks to all....

I can see all your photos, I used the Chrome extension that loads itself so I can see others photos, not the one that the member on here made as I am not smart enough to to manually load his version.

If folks want to see my early photos, they will just have to use the extensions, as I have thousands of Photolame hosted photos published here(Ratsun), and I am not even going to try and fix them.

It's kinda sad what things have come to in this country, Photolame wanting big bucks, Hertz car rentals being cancelled so they can charge 10 times the amount for the same car, and motels/hotels charging a $1000.00 for a room they normally charge $80.00 for just because of the eclipse, they are all price gouging and it appears to be legal. 

• Like 1

How about a link for what you poaded Wayno!  Please.

This is what I used, it loads itself when you click on "add extension" or "add to Chrome", or whatever it says, I all ready did it so it now says "Added to Chrome", meaning I already downloaded it, the link below takes you to the link in the Chrome Web Store, it only works on the Chrome Browser.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiB0MfNut_VAhUEwWMKHSVyCQAQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fchrome.google.com%2Fwebstore%2Fdetail%2Fphotobucket-embed-fix%2Fnaolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj%3Fhl%3Den&usg=AFQjCNFPUKgOhKNwHZGLUVlCZzSjLnboGg

I am sure since Chrome did this and it is still working, that most the other browsers have their own fix also by now, let the big guys duke it out, I am sure that Photolame and the internet browser companies will come to some kind of deal in the end and the photos will disappear again if Photolame survives.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I still need to buy the paint but atleast I've been making progress....

Front end completely masked....

20170825_163403.jpg

20170825_163420.jpg

Making a templet for the roof...

Gonna see how a headliner made of dyno mat looks.....

20170825_185300.jpg

Using this....

Screenshot_20170826-085128.png

Doing the floors and back wall on the cab too.... pics of that soon...

• Like 2

Also got some little goodies....

New brake adjuster boots...

20170824_161827.jpg

And these.....

20170819_123036.jpg

Also got some switches on the way for my ignition system and accessories

Screenshot_20170826-090017.png

Plus a horn button...

Screenshot_20170826-085929.png

I have no parts at all to make something work in the steering wheel....

And this for a start button....

Screenshot_20170826-085946.png

• Like 2

Well technically paint and assemble and some final wiring... ..

It runs and drives and stops, but far from street legal.....

My luck I'll probably finish it the week of the biggest winter snow storm...

Still thinking a realistic time to be done is for spring... trying not to rush the end..... once paint is done it should go together fairly quickly.... I expect the little shit to slow me down....i try to plan ahead but doesn't always work out....

Damn you stroffgren now all I see is a trumpet.... I guess I'll have to do air horns to match the button

• Like 2