A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I was kind of wordy in my explanation. That shows my thought process.

Basically, you want to get the longest shock possible, you want as much travel as possible, and you need to make sure that everything fits. I make sure the suspension cycles fully before I even think about shocks. They are almost an afterthought.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was kind of wordy in my explanation. That shows my thought process.

Basically, you want to get the longest shock possible, you want as much travel as possible, and you need to make sure that everything fits. I make sure the suspension cycles fully before I even think about shocks. They are almost an afterthought.

I was thinking I needed them ahead of time but technically I only nee them to mount the upper crossmember....

Atleast that means I can keep working and get the setup tack welded in place and cycling.....

• Like 2

Well the axle housing still doesnt wanna give up the differential... 

I think I got fucked by 20 year old rtv.... 

Of course this is the one part on the entire truck I have not messed with...

I'm gonna try a razor blade at the seam and some heat next and see if that does anything for me

I'm on the verge of removing it with a cutoff wheel but I was hoping to not destroy the axle housing....

If anyone has any better ideas please let me know..

Only other choice is if someone has a 4.37 29spline truck differential they wanna part with, please let me know.... 

If I'm not successful by this weekend I'll be exploring my options further....

• Like 1

There should be a thin paper gasket in there. If it was rebuilt before, it's possible that it was replaced with RTV. Heat sounds like a good option. Just cook the axle housing and see what happens. If I recall, there is a small lip around the ID of the flange that locates it in the housing. Try not to heat the aluminum carrier, or else it'll just get worse.

What makes it worse is that they are sometimes a snug fit on the studs. You'll have to tap it all the way around to get it free.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

Use a gasket scraper of putty knife. Hammer it into the seam between the diff and axle housing. Some putty knives are too thin for this, hence the gasket scraper.

Once the diff is out, if any damage has occurred from the putty knife, you can smooth it back out with a file.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, greenthumb said:

Nice setup indeed. 
I’m most impressed that it’s clean enough to navigate barefoot 😄

I noticed the same thing. Today's youth is pampered. Just let him be. I dug through the way-back machine and found these pics from when I rebuilt the roadster. I don’t know if it helps at all. Jack stands came in handy. I even filled it back up prior to putting it back in. In the last pic, you can see the ring on the ID of the flange. It’s supposed to be a close fit with the axle housing.

NgIPKVa.jpg

Q5rik9B.jpg

ljYcqwR.jpg

XNZhKn1.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Stop fucking around.... Take the fill bung out. Get a suitable brass, copper or aluminum rod that is as large as will fit the hole and insert it against something and hammer it out.

That's definitely an idea,  I think I have an aluminum rod that would actually fit.....

• Like 1

Last time I took one out I used a monster chisel between housing and the 3rd member. Very blunt. Couple of whacks and it parted. I do have an assortment of brass round stock that has come in handy for driving wheel bearing races out. If it hasn't come loose that's what I would do next. 

• Like 2

Got some time today so I decided I wasn't going back inside till the differential was removed.....

Hammering did nothing...

I ended up heating up the edge and cutaway at the gasket with a razor.. I was able to expose 2 gaps that I could get a wedge in without causing damage.... 

And we have success.... glad I'm doing this because the oil was contaminated with water.... both my inner and outer seals were completely destroyed..... I'm actually surprised the gears and bearing feel and look perfect.....

Merry Christmas ratsun....

20201224_152327.jpg

• Like 3