A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I got lucky today, shop lost power, by the time it would have been restored it would have been time to go home, so I got to leave work at 1...

Proceeded to get the rest of the truck torn down...

20201210-142920.jpg

20201210-142933.jpg

Then I remembered I actually have to remove the axles to get the differential out....

20201210-151105.jpg

And the differential does not wanna come out.... one of the studs did though...

20201210-145218.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/24/2020 at 9:29 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Had some extra cash this week so I ordered the seals for the axle and all the components for the rear disk brakes setup....

I'll have to figure out the emergency brake and do a little more digging about the master cylinder.... I'm pretty sure its  for a vehicle with front disk and rear drums, so I dont know what that really means when I switch to disks in the rear... I have an adjustable proportioning valve but have no clue if it's even doing what it should or if its adjusted properly right now, or even needed. .

who are you going thru to get rear disc brake setup cuz i thought about using silvermine motors they have a complete rear disc brake kit for my 521

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gene knight said:

who are you going thru to get rear disc brake setup cuz i thought about using silvermine motors they have a complete rear disc brake kit for my 521

I am using beebani's brackets, I bought it with all my coilover conversion parts last year.... the silvermine setup is basically the same if you are looking at the basic upgrade not the wilwood...

It's all 1990 isuzu pickup parts....

Personally I say buy their brackets and buy the rest of the parts at the local parts store.... then you can get a lifetime warranty on the brake calipers....

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Lookin' good Neil.

Ya now the real fun begins.... 

I'll be taking plenty of pictures... 

What I need to do is get the axle and rear crossmember in place to measure for the coilovers I want.... I want them in hand before I weld anything so I can make sure everything is where it should be and nothing binds as it all moves up and down.....

• Like 3
On 12/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Ya now the real fun begins.... 

I'll be taking plenty of pictures... 

What I need to do is get the axle and rear crossmember in place to measure for the coilovers I want.... I want them in hand before I weld anything so I can make sure everything is where it should be and nothing binds as it all moves up and down.....

That's a good plan. Never start a project until all the hard parts are in hand.

4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'm getting ready to get out there in a little bit. I have been trimming off the leaf spring pads from the axle and still trying to get the stupid differential out...

Giant dead blow hammer on the pinion flange. Just don't let it drop on your foot.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

Next the rear crossmember...

20201212-173146.jpg

I'll need to cut the 2 brackets off that I believe are for the bump stops, the crossmember still need to move forward 1/2 inch..... you can see the red laser line, it should be flush to the rear edge of the crossmember....

20201212-173154.jpg

This was close enough to get me a measurement of 13" for my coilover ride height ... looks like the qa1 ds403 fit the bill.....

• Compressed Height: 11-1/8"
  • Extended Height: 15"
  • Ride Height: 12-1/2" to 13-1/4"
  • Spring Length: 10"

Edited by Crashtd420
8 hours ago, thisismatt said:

The front UCA is only rotating, it's not also being asked to twist. The rear going over a speed bump perfectly perpendicularly, no problem, but the link needs to twist if only one wheel is going over a bump or dropping into a pothole. Dunno, I figure Stoffregen will chime in...

Ok I see your point now.....

8 hours ago, thisismatt said:

The front UCA is only rotating, it's not also being asked to twist. The rear going over a speed bump perfectly perpendicularly, no problem, but the link needs to twist if only one wheel is going over a bump or dropping into a pothole. Dunno, I figure Stoffregen will chime in...

Been doing some investigating this morning,  while it seems oem uses just bushings for a quiter ride I do see the limitations you mention.....

One thing I did see were johnny joints....

They are a cross between the poly bushing and a heim..... I can actually purchase them as a threaded assembly...

Picture is just an example..... I'm now thinking about swapping out the 3 adjustable end out for these...

Screenshot_20201213-070557_Chrome.jpg