A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I ordered that wilwood residual valve today so I should have everything coming for the disk brake upgrade.. I'll still need to sort the emergency brake but I honestly dont think that be will be a big deal...

Also I just dropped off my axles to my mechanic to remove the bearing and separate the hub from the backing plate..

I just dont want to deal with it... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I think I have to give in to the fact I live in new England,  days are just getting colder and colder..... the truck will go on stands this week and the disassembly shall begin....

Got my axles back today, just need to clean the hubs up and paint them, then change out the bearing race and seal..

20201130_163308.jpg

• Like 2

Dont worry everything behind the cab is getting redone including the exhaust, I may change up the stack idea but it won't be a normal exhaust when I'm done.... not to mention I'll be driving the truck next year for a few months without the bed so it's really going to look interesting.....

• Like 1

Got the truck turned around today, I wanna take some measurements before I get it up on stands and start disassembling but the fun has begun....

I already see one issue, I'll have to redo the battery mount under the bed, I have to cut out the bar its currently attached to.... 

Of course my residual valve was delivered today, well the packaging was... valve missing... luckily Amazon takes care of it quick and easy, another one is on the way....

20201201_170913.jpg

• Like 1

After reading mainer311's thread I decided to order some new valves and guides for my head, ( I have some plans in my head to do some work to the cylinder head in the future)..... anyhow I'm glad I did, the exhaust valves I believe they only had 6 left, and I've had my order cancelled twice for 4 of the guides ...

Waiting for the refunds, there is a listing on ebay I'm going to try next....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

After reading mainer311's thread I decided to order some new valves and guides for my head, ( I have some plans in my head to do some work to the cylinder head in the future)..... anyhow I'm glad I did, the exhaust valves I believe they only had 6 left, and I've had my order cancelled twice for 4 of the guides ...

Waiting for the refunds, there is a listing on ebay I'm going to try next....

I have a crate full of valve related stuff valves, seats, rockers etc etc  i believe guides as well 

• Like 1

So I'm prepping to clean up and paint the rear hubs and ran into an issue...

The way these hubs are you can't use a drift to knock out the bearing race.. seems like I need a puller from the inside to remove it.... 

Is it always necessary to replace the bearing race if your using a new bearing?

The old race actually feels really smooth,  the old bearing didnt seem bad either but the grease was beyond dried up... I figured it's a good idea to replace while it's all apart.. 

Maybe I'll just see if my mechanic can do it for me quick and do it right....

• Like 1

The old race will be worn and while in a pinch on the side of the road, you could leave it and use just the new bearing, it's not the best idea for longevity. To go to all the work and not replace the race is counter productive.

• Like 2

I believe Mike (Bluehands) has a video showing how to remove the race.  I'll see if I can dig it up for you but basically he used a small cutoff wheel to cut the race diagonally and then a cold chisel.  I used his approach and it worked great for me.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well damn I didn't see that stuff when I came by.....

Yeah all that  stuff was in the attic I have tons of nos motor parts up there .... Your friends here at northeast 521 emporium stock a wide selection of genuine replacement 521 parts 😂😂😂

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Wait a second, I thought you had a shop take the bearings off the axle shafts?

They did, but I was mainly after getting the backing plate removed  from the hub and all the studs out, bearing had no choice to come off the axle, I never thought about asking them to remove the race too...

The race is inside the hub, I though it would be like the front which has 2 small cutouts to allow you to knock it out..... not the case on the rear, the angle is to steep so it  has to be pulled.....

Easiest thing for me to do is just clean up the hubs and bring them to my mechanic. I'll bring them the new races , then they can remove and install for me.. then the jobs done right and I'm not struggling...

• Like 1