A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Met another ratsun member yesterday,  

He hooked me up with some spare parts and some new... 

I was expecting just a steering box but it was the whole column with turn signal and cover....

20201024-175128.jpg

Not to mention he had the rear bearings I was just about to buy.... Also got the oem heater hoses.  

He had oem radiator hoses, and even that impossible to find PVC hose(didnt buy those)

He even had a couple of those fresh air boots for the heater core new oem....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Met another ratsun member yesterday,  

He hooked me up with some spare parts and some new... 

I was expecting just a steering box but it was the whole column with turn signal and cover....

20201024-175128.jpg

Not to mention he had the rear bearings I was just about to buy.... Also got the oem heater hoses.  

He had oem radiator hoses, and even that impossible to find PVC hose(didnt buy those)

He even had a couple of those fresh air boots for the heater core new oem....

Gotta love Ratsun!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Gotta love Ratsun!

I'm working another deal with him for a few other spare parts..... trying only to buy the oem items that wear out, like the hard to find front wheel bearing.... I wasnt expecting what he had so I only had so much cash to hand out.....

What was nice was the 2 heater cores I really only took them to save them from the trash, his datsun is a bit modified and didnt need the heaters or the factory column.... he said the heavier stuff is hard to sell because no one wants to pay the shipping... 

One thing I forgot to mention was the gorgeous drive out to western Massachusetts... I really should have stopped for some pictures... I was very happy with the datsun, it was about an 1hr 10min drive each way, some highway and then some twisty roads, so much fun.... a bunch a second gear pulls and downshifts and not one misfire... I really think the high compression on the motor is enjoying the extra fuel....

Unfortunately I still have a slight vibration around 60.... but it's not overly consistent.... still trying to figure that out....

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'm working another deal with him for a few other spare parts..... trying only to buy the oem items that wear out, like the hard to find front wheel bearing.... I wasnt expecting what he had so I only had so much cash to hand out.....

What was nice was the 2 heater cores I really only took them to save them from the trash, his datsun is a bit modified and didnt need the heaters or the factory column.... he said the heavier stuff is hard to sell because no one wants to pay the shipping... 

One thing I forgot to mention was the gorgeous drive out to western Massachusetts... I really should have stopped for some pictures... I was very happy with the datsun, it was about an 1hr 10min drive each way, some highway and then some twisty roads, so much fun.... a bunch a second gear pulls and downshifts and not one misfire... I really think the high compression on the motor is enjoying the extra fuel....

Unfortunately I still have a slight vibration around 60.... but it's not overly consistent.... still trying to figure that out....

Prime driving season! Perfect for those adventures.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Maybe.... 

Ya it was... wasnt sure if I should say or not or if it even matters.... 

Real cool guy, was neat to check out his 520.... 

Always cool finding other people on here. I'm taking a road trip up to northern NH this coming weekend to grab that L20B block that someone has in the classifieds. 

• Like 1
Just now, mainer311 said:

Always cool finding other people on here. I'm taking a road trip up to northern NH this coming weekend to grab that L20B block that someone has in the classifieds. 

Nice, didn't see that one.... but I'm over committed to my L16 so I'm not looking for a swap.... 

If you dont plan to keep the L16 you can send it my way instead of junking it....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

Nice, didn't see that one.... but I'm over committed to my L16 so I'm not looking for a swap.... 

If you dont plan to keep the L16 you can send it my way instead of junking it....

Possibly. It'll be a while though. My plan was to get the block onto my engine stand, and then it's going to be a long term project.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Just realized the ad you were looking at, didnt even realize he was NH.....

It too bad everyone is spread so far apart.....  

• Like 1

Only about 80 minutes or so from my place. A straight shot up 93. I consider that fairly close when it comes to Datsun people. Now I have a lot of reading to do about L20b's, and what direction I want to go, and that's only if I can manage to unstuck the seized block. 

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Only about 80 minutes or so from my place. A straight shot up 93. I consider that fairly close when it comes to Datsun people. Now I have a lot of reading to do about L20b's, and what direction I want to go, and that's only if I can manage to unstuck the seized block. 

The stuck block is easy if you plan to disassemble it..... probably just a stuck ring... you'll probably have to bore it out anyhow but that's all a conversation for another day.... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Gotta love New England , last weekend I was driving around western Massachusetts in the datsun enjoying the weather, the drive and the scenery...

And woke up to this today.....

20201030-133658.jpg

The unfortunate early end to Datsun driving season... mine are tucked away in the garage... saw the salt truck drive by earlier, so unless we get a good couple days of rain they will stay there.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, demo243 said:

The unfortunate early end to Datsun driving season... mine are tucked away in the garage... saw the salt truck drive by earlier, so unless we get a good couple days of rain they will stay there.

I hope it's not the end... too soon... 

I have a couple small projects I can do while waiting for possible better weather..... I know once I start the 5 link and disk brake conversion it's definitely not coming back out till spring.....

• Like 2

Decided to tackle a small project today....

While I like the lowered look on the truck I hate that it rubs when I turn into the driveway....

Before....

Screenshot-20201031-155827-Gallery.jpg

Ended up removing the coilovers and adding an extension...

20201031-151556.jpg

20201031-150151.jpg

20201031-151454.jpg

20201031-150600.jpg

After...

20201031-155028.jpg

Now I need to lower it a little and set the stance....

• Like 1

And I may have figured out what could be causing my damn vibration.... 

I guess I never really went back and checked my toe in angle.....

I just checked it and it had an embarrassing amount of toe-in ....

I will be resetting that probably tomorrow,  almost time to trick or treat..

Atleast my camber should land on the correct setting once I lower it a little and balance out the sides..... 

• Like 1

Hey datzenmike...

So just to see what you come up with on my compression ration....

Peanut head but I opened it up 2cc so it measures 43cc

Piston is 84mm bore with +9cc dome. 

Head gasket I believe is compressed to .060... 

Rest should be standard measurements nothing was milled or shaved down...

Rods are stock length and stroke....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

10.52 using the 1.5 mm compressed gasket thickness you specified.

That's a little better than I thought.... I thought I was around 10.7- 10.8.  Maybe the gasket was .045 compressed but that wouldn't be much more of an increase even if it was....

Thanks...

• Like 1