A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

After I first got my Weber installed, I switched to B7ES when I was trying to correct the overly lean condition. In hindsight, I don't think that had anything to do with it, but I left them in and it's been running fine ever since. They say that too cold of a plug will prevent carbon from burning off properly, but if it's only one step in the heat range, I don't think you'll notice much. I agree with the compression/heat range that you mentioned. I think the same applies for turbocharged cars. 

I'm not expecting hp or anything like that... it would just been nice to hit 6000 rpm once and while and know its going to be ok after.. I'll check these plugs soon and see how they are doing.. I always keep the old ones with me just incase the ones I'm using foul out.. I feel like I'm still chasing down little bugs with this truck, but I have been putting more and more miles on the it...

Found another issue tonight..... I have been hearing a relay clicking lately and finally figured out which one.... When I upgraded one of my electric fans it was a little too much for the relay I had set up  .... it didnt blow the fuse or melt a wire but i think it was close to being a bigger issue because the relay has been getting pretty hot... I'll have to remedy that tomorrow after work.... 

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I'll try the 8s next, so far it's running good with the 7s, no miss yet.... I'll pull the plugs soon to have a look.....

I needed to get that fan relay sorted out first , which I did.... yesterday I ended up adding a relay so each fan has it's own relay now .. .

Also got some benches made....

20201003-121645.jpg

Now the task of organizing all my crap begins....

• Like 4
8 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

Super smart layout with the drillpress area. I like how you did the levered side area too so you don't have to worry about kicking a leg while passing by. 

Thanks , had to buy a couple 2x4s but most of this is old wood I had.... trying to fit the space and use up what I have laying around.... 

Drill press area is going to be all my power tool stuff.... 

The one with the angled legs will have my tools and whatever I'm working on...

I'm storing my welder, my jack and jack stands underneath....

Seems to be working out.... hopefully the final layout works out for me....

• Like 2

Finding a good place for the compressor is always a challenge. I have had them outside before and like that, but not always viable. Last spring I moved my compressor upstairs and to be sure it wouldn't resonate through the floor and make more noise, I mounted it on 1950 Ford truck motor mounts with brackets that are bolted through the floor. Now I can barely hear it!

• Like 3

That was about my only option for the compressor so it was out of the way.... 

I can still get it out from under there with no issue... I dont use it daily as I'm sure you do so I don't worry about the noise to much... alot of times I can charge it up then shut it off and it's enough for what i doing.... 

When I did use it to paint the truck, I would put the compressor in the adjacent garage and just run the airline back.... 

Hey stroffgren can I get one of your shop stickers???

I'll send you some money for one....

PM me If your willing...

• Like 2

Re the compressor location

my son had an interesting solution that works really well. He got it up into his attic and suspended it from belting slung under the compressor. In essence the comp is not contacting the structure at all. Like Stoffegren says, it’s so much quieter it’s pretty unbelievable. 

• Like 3

I always thought the key to a quiet compressor was an oil lubed belt driven one vs the non-oil ones that are loud as shit?  This is speaking from experience and my craftsmen big boy that makes a ton of noise when it charges. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I have a discontinued Husky POS that is oil lubed and belt driven, and the damn thing won't even turn over when it's cold out. 

Have you tried 10w-30 Mobil 1 in it?  I did that to my Dewalt that had a hard time starting in the cold and it works a lot better now.  That said, cold here is about 50°F 🤣

• Like 1

The problem with synthetic is it will keak past the seals in the summer time.  When I lived in Salt Lake City Utah I kept an old electric blanket over my compressor in the winter time.  Of course when I needed to use the compressor I would remove it.  Treat your compressor like one of your kids and keep it warm in the winter.

I run Mobil 1 in three different compressors without any issues. The only one that weeps oil is my old 2 cylinder 220v Craftsman, but it's not enough to ever need topping off.

I've read you shouldn't use it, also, but I can't remember why, nor have I noticed any down side.

• Like 1
On 9/17/2020 at 5:54 PM, mainer311 said:

What color do those triangle bulbs put out? Are they yellowy, or bluish? I could use those in my wood shop.

You want about 5,0000-6,0000 Kelvin temperature light. This is the same as sunlight and what our eyes evolved to see best in. Higher or lower K and true color is altered and light is dimmer.  

• Like 1

Sorry, this is off topic, but I found this stuff for compressors on Amazon, and it seems like it will work substantially better in cold weather than the original oil.  It’s much thinner, detergent free, and was $10 on prime.

NkNJk15.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
Just now, mainer311 said:

Sorry, this is off topic, but I found this stuff for compressors on Amazon, and it seems like it will work substantially better in cold weather than the original oil.  It’s much thinner, detergent free, and was $10 on prime.

Post a link mfer.  I’m about to buy an oil compressor and sell this 1000db 80 gallon screamer. 

• Like 1

Now to get off the generator topic....

In the process of cleaning up and organizing my garage I found a couple neat old tool.... engine analyzer and timing light....

20201007-165511.jpg

20201007-165520.jpg

I bet there are only a few here who knows what it is and how to use the analyzer...

Apparently they were made in the 70s and still work just fine....

And another things I did almost by accident.... its probably something many people do but I never thought to do it.....

Never even looked it up to see if it was anything .....

I have always hated my extension cords...  I can never keep them neat, they always seem to tangle up....

So the other day I was picking up my cord and shoved it in a bucket for a place to be.... I soon realized if I coiled it up inside the bucket I had an easy way to store and carry it...

So I plug one end into the wall outlet and then start coiling the cord into the bucket.... it hasn't tangled at all, cord is easily used and returned into the bucket... plus no money spent....

20201007-171604.jpg

• Like 1

My problem is I never think of it till I'm trying to put it away neatly.... I also say I need to get something and always forget to till the next time I'm in the garage...  

If this was a shop I worked out of more than for just myself I'd have those over head lines.... for me the $5 bucket works great  ...

Edited by Crashtd420