A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

39 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

That's kind of funny to have parts like that close by, usually I'm ordering from the other side of the world....

You and me both but how slow USPS has been lately it might as well be the other side of the world.  Ken shipped out my parts on Monday (MA to MD) and they still aren't here and probably won't be until sometime next week.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

That's kind of funny to have parts like that close by, usually I'm ordering from the other side of the world....

Yeah that’s not too far out there that’s cool I never see any of the trucks around a ton of Z’s but never any trucks I just picked up another load of parts last night tons of nos items And some used stuff as well 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kenp19 said:

Yeah that’s not too far out there that’s cool I never see any of the trucks around a ton of Z’s but never any trucks I just picked up another load of parts last night tons of nos items And some used stuff as well 

I never see a datsun on the roads driving.... only when I'm at a car show or heading to one.... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

You and me both but how slow USPS has been lately it might as well be the other side of the world.  Ken shipped out my parts on Monday (MA to MD) and they still aren't here and probably won't be until sometime next week.  

I know, I'm just glad I dont need anything to get me up and running lately so I can afford the wait time.... 

1 minute ago, wayno said:

I hardly ever see early Datsun trucks on the road anymore, I have not seen a 520 or 521 in a very long time, but I do see a few Datsun/Nissan 720s.

My USPS packages/mail arrives very fast, I have stuff arrive sooner than expected/before claimed arrival date all the time, even from overseas.

I have been seeing a 720 locally, but not in a while.... it was in really good shape with a flat bed on it.... the guy was definitely a laborer of some sort.... painter, lawns, maybe just a handyman or something along that line... 

Both times I've seen it I was going to try to follow and meet the guy but I had to pick up my son and couldn't be late... plus didnt wanna be that creepy guy....

Keep hoping I'll see him filling up at the gas station.... 

4 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I have been seeing a 720 locally, but not in a while.... it was in really good shape with a flat bed on it.... the guy was definitely a laborer of some sort.... painter, lawns, maybe just a handyman or something along that line... 

Both times I've seen it I was going to try to follow and meet the guy but I had to pick up my son and couldn't be late... plus didnt wanna be that creepy guy....

Keep hoping I'll see him filling up at the gas station.... 

Actually There is a kid locally who has 720 and I believe a  620 but I don’t see them out much lately  … The gas station is a killer every time I stop in my truck I get mobbed by people checking it out asking  to take pictures  Or chat about it and at least one Person who had One back in the day or Their grandfather dad brother Etc which leaves me wondering where the hell they all went 😂😂

3 hours ago, d.p said:

Sorry to hear that man I hate waiting for stuff in the mail I ship USPS because everything I’ve gotten from UPS and fed ex in the last seven or eight months looks like they kicked it all the way to my house and was late also flat rate shipping makes it easy ... i’m not very good with online things and I’ve never really shipped a lot so Idk what works best 

• Like 1
On 8/7/2020 at 5:26 AM, Crashtd420 said:

on another note I did pick up a new hub and steering wheel... nothing expensive just something functional .... 

I dont get the expensive prices of steering wheels.... do they really need to cost 300/500 plus....?

On 8/7/2020 at 6:21 AM, mainer311 said:

It’s crazy. People go nuts over Momo/Nardi/etc. steering wheels. I’ve always had <$100 Grants on both my Datsuns and they’re fine.

When Amazon shipped me the quick release hub by mistake, I splurged a little and got a suede racing wheel for the roadster, but it was still less than 100.

What did you get?

1/ First, the 510 521, 610 710 620 and the B-210 (probably lots of other) steering wheels are shit. For one they are too small a grip diameter for my hands. They may be fine for little Japanese hands but to me it's like driving and hanging onto a coat hanger wire. A long day of driving and your hands are sore and the next day all the fingers are stiff. So is it any wonder people replace them? Momo/Nardi/etc steering wheels are like $2,000 rims and tires on a $4,000 car.

2/ The stock diameters are also larger (no PS so there is more leverage) than the after market, I think, so it's more work but the steering is slightly more responsive.

3/ After market are also (I think) padded and/or and larger better grip.

People are sheep and if everyone else wants it they have to want it. Monkey see... monkey do. I stripped some parts off a 280zx 15 years ago? and grabbed the steering wheel just because I could. Later I fitted it to my 620 and right now it's on my 710. Smaller diameter, padded grip, horn buttons on the two spokes AND in the center. Ever try finding the horn button on a spoke while turning a corner?? I pulled the Z emblem off the center.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Funny thing happened I went to the post office this morning and when i came out there was an old couple checking out the datsun.... the women asked if her husband could take her picture with the truck... she couldn't believe how small it was .... 

That Datsun changed their lives. Probably the reason she got knocked up in '75 and is a grandmother today.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I dont think I go a day without being honked at , waved to or talked to....

I also drive mine everyday i possibly can.. 

Unfortunately all the datsun up here probably went to the junk yards and got crushed....

Unfortunately I think you’r right  I’ve never personally ran into another one on the road out here  and I can’t find any sitting anywhere  Unlike where I grew up in Washington state where they were everywhere

• Like 1

Sometimes I hate gauges, especially when they don't tell you the correct information you want....

Driving home today my air/fuel gauge spent most of it's time in the 20s.... I was able to pull over and pull a plug and verify everything was actually running perfectly fine... 

So I either have an exhaust leak or a failing o2 sensor or both.. I have a new sensor but I'll start with checking for a leak first.... 

• Like 1
On 9/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, datzenmike said:

1/ First, the 510 521, 610 710 620 and the B-210 (probably lots of other) steering wheels are shit. For one they are too small a grip diameter for my hands. They may be fine for little Japanese hands but to me it's like driving and hanging onto a coat hanger wire. A long day of driving and your hands are sore and the next day all the fingers are stiff. So is it any wonder people replace them? Momo/Nardi/etc steering wheels are like $2,000 rims and tires on a $4,000 car.

2/ The stock diameters are also larger (no PS so there is more leverage) than the after market, I think, so it's more work but the steering is slightly more responsive.

3/ After market are also (I think) padded and/or and larger better grip.

People are sheep and if everyone else wants it they have to want it. Monkey see... monkey do. I stripped some parts off a 280zx 15 years ago? and grabbed the steering wheel just because I could. Later I fitted it to my 620 and right now it's on my 710. Smaller diameter, padded grip, horn buttons on the two spokes AND in the center. Ever try finding the horn button on a spoke while turning a corner?? I pulled the Z emblem off the center.

That Datsun changed their lives. Probably the reason she got knocked up in '75 and is a grandmother today.

One aspect of "high performance" steering wheels people don't often think of is rigidity. I replaced the stock wheel in my 320 with a Moto-Lita and was amazed at how the stiffer wheel made driving the truck easier. Since most early trucks have bench seats, you use the steering wheel as a grab handle when cornering, and a floppy wheel is not confidence inspiring. The stiffer wheel actually made driving the truck easier in the corners.

• Like 2

While the datsun could use a little looking at shes been running and driving just fine,  I just have other things to take care of right now.... The good thing about a carburetor when you have an exhaust leak and/or o2 sensor issue you can still drive the vehicle .... 

I'm trying to get the garage cleaned and organized... sold off my atvs😪 and moved the motorcycles around to make room... my trailer has to go back in the garage once I'm done but that's just going to be a good place to put the bed of the truck... It will be coming off for the winter projects i have planned and will eventually get stripped, rustproofed and painted before going back on ....

I ended up putting 1 bike against the wall behind the truck... since my garage doors swing in I loose alot of room up front to be able to open and close them... so got a little helper hanging to let me know I'm far enough back.... 

20200916-183806.jpg

I'm almost touching the bike....

Also if anyone has just screw in light bulb sockets in their garage or work space I highly recommend getting some of these led lights... 

20200915-170541.jpg

20200915-170548.jpg

• Like 2

I generally dont recommend stuff, this was a substantial difference, If you were to compare them to a regular bulb there is no comparison,  so much more light..... 

I basically have 2 spot light fixtures on the ceiling with 2 bulbs each in the middle of the garages... it's a 20x20 ...

I had 2 led spots and 2 regular lights.... 

The difference is I can see all corners of my garage now and clearly.... I tried to take a picture but it didnt really show, I noticed it more because I know how dark my garage has always been....

These are the ones I picked up...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085SV7FCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FZ0yFbSA24AF7

They had good reviews,  a good price for a 2 pk, and 6000 lumens...

• Like 2

Its amazing what LED technology is doing. I put 4 shop lights in the back of my garage and it so bright now. I found myself wearing my sunglasses as safety glasses the other day! 

Having light just makes garages and work spaces sooo much better and more usable. 

• Like 3

It took years for LED lights to get where they are now after they banned 100W light bulbs, I used to have to buy 100W light bulbs online because you could not buy them at stores and I could not see very well with what else was out there at a reasonable price, them florescent screw in bulbs sucked, well recently the price of LED bulbs has came down while the amount of light they put out has went up, one 32 inch LED bulb puts out more light than two 4'  florescent bulbs, but that is not how it used to be until recently.

• Like 2

Work continues in the garage.... I was able to get my motorcycles organized behind the datsun with still being able to park and even work on the truck.... just depends on which direction I pull in vs qhat end I can work on.... as you can see it's a tight fit.... and with only a few inches left to close the door.... 

20200920-141719.jpg

20200920-142107.jpg

I figured a closer look at my black one incase your wondering why its vertical. 

My 2000 gsxr 600 stunt bike....

20200920-140648.jpg

• Like 2