A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got the transmission ready for installation.... 

20190109-110340.jpg

I was happy the reverse switch worked, and all the gears work.....

What didn't work was the speedo pinion....

This one was in the transmission before, and never worked.... I always thought it was the cable... oddly it fit my 63 series 4 spd and worked.... what I found was for the 71b I had to rotate it 180 and now it works perfectly...

But to keep it in place I  had to cut the notch on the opposite side.....

20190109-111537.jpg

• Like 2

The flange where the transmission bolts to the engine is thicker.  Get longer bolts, M10-1.5, I do not know the length.  The lower bolt on the left side of the engine has a locating ring, that bolt need to be longer than the other three engine to transmission bolts.

The started bolts on a stock four speed are through bolts, with nuts.  The five speed transmission the starter bolts thread into the transmission bell housing.

My 1980 720 five speed transmission has four switches.  Which one is the reverse light switch on your transmission?

• Like 2

Not much to update got the 4 spd pulled out today and the 5 spd in place.... 

Removal was much easier than the installation,  the hole in my floor was a bit to small, and covered by my sound proofing and carpet... I was able to use a tin snips to cut and bend a piece of the tunnel down and out of the way ... luckily this piece is separate from the cab so if I want to i can repair it... I didnt feel like pulling the seats and carpeting.....

Either way doesnt matter how it got done, it's in there.....

Just glad I didnt have the long tail transmission.... 

Next is to get the rear mount made and bolt the rest back together..... 

• Like 1

Got the bracket bolted in..... 

I had some extra time so I was able to get some more stuff done too.. 

Installed the small boot on the transmission, the shifter with new bushings and a new knob.... 

I also got the shifter boot and floor cover bolted back down.... 

Then I was able to get the driveshaft back in and regreased the u joints and slip shaft.... 

Then bolted up the clutch slave cylinder and the starter.....

I think all I have left is connect the back up light wires and fill it with oil.... 

Then test drive.... unfortunately we stand to get 1 to 2 feet of snow.... so that will have to wait.....

• Like 1

Had a moment yesterday and was able to get the reverse lights hooked up and working.... 

Then I filled the transmission and topped off the rear differential while I was under there....

Did a small test up on the jack stands... little sketchy but not bad....

Just wanted to see if things worked....

All gears worked and reverse with no wierd sounds so I'm very happy with that.... completely forgot to see if the speedometer was working, oh well it should be ok,  I verified it on the bench... 

At least now its driveable again... cant wait to get it on the highway now.... 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I sure don't miss the cold and snow of southern Ontario. I survived 8? winters with a daily 521. Not because of the heater but in spite of it. 

Ya it's been 0 with -30 wind chill.... not a fan.... Datsun doesn't like the cold either, battery was a little low but it started yesterday.... I think it wants to go back to SoCal where I found it... 

• Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 6:56 AM, datzenmike said:

I sure don't miss the cold and snow of southern Ontario. I survived 8? winters with a daily 521. Not because of the heater but in spite of it. 

That is the reason I installed a 720 heater and AC in my 520.  No more cold winter drives!

• Like 1

Yes......

This stuff.....

Screenshot_20180805-093909_Amazon.jpg

Worked good..... 

I think I still have the tiniest leak though.. it doesn't hit the floor but I I can feel a little oil at the back corner of the pan.... 

I was trying not to over do it but I guess I should have put a little more in that corner..... still way better than before.....

Maybe next oil change I'll try again....

• Like 2