A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Ill keep an eye out for you. Planning on running down to the show tomorrow. Probably shoot to be there around 11. Unfortunately I wont have the 510 with me. Just didnt have the time to run down and get it... and didnt want to just park it out in the open in Everett.... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, demo243 said:

Ill keep an eye out for you. Planning on running down to the show tomorrow. Probably shoot to be there around 11. Unfortunately I wont have the 510 with me. Just didnt have the time to run down and get it... and didnt want to just park it out in the open in Everett.... 

Im hoping to be there right around 10.... this will probably be the most ratsun members I'll meet at any event up our way so it should be a good time...  To bad the 510 wont be there, i was hoping to see one in person again, but I get the parking concern.... I'm lucky to have a garage at home to keep mine in...  once I was finally on the road it took me about 2 weeks before I was comfortable taking it places and leaving it out of my sight... might have something to so with the fact the i still haven't hooked up my door locks and only about a month or so ago I finally put glass in the doors.....

• Like 2

Wtf is up with distributor caps.... now I have a beru, a bosch, that stupid clear one... and a duralast .... all causing miss fires.. I put the import direct brand from oriellys back on and I can rev past 5000... this was tested getting on the highway not just reving the motor in my driveway... they will all work up to the point where I try to make a pull over 5000 rpm... I'm wondering if it has to do with the center rotatating pin or something.... nothing looked messed up with the caps.... not sure...

Just to be safe I put a fresh set of plugs in and bought a spare cap from oriellys..

While making sure everything was good for the ride tomorrow I found my carb bolts , and intake and exhaust studs needed tightening... didnt seem to be causing an issue but they definitely were not tight... 

Got everything washed and vacuumed and ready for tomorrow.... 

Lucky for me after I bought the cap I want to put it in the datsun so i didn't forget it... got to the garage to find the interior light on.... probably would have had a dead battery in the morning if I didnt catch that.... so i left it on a charger for the night... 

Hoping all goes well tomorrow...

• Like 1

Remember when the Honda Gold Wing came out? Years later there were a rash of seized engines traced back to these chrome plated oil filters lots of owners got for Christmas. They were a dress up item, however the filter element inside was hot melt glued together and the heat would melt them. A clear distributor cap is the same thing, looks only.

41 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Remember when the Honda Gold Wing came out? Years later there were a rash of seized engines traced back to these chrome plated oil filters lots of owners got for Christmas. They were a dress up item, however the filter element inside was hot melt glued together and the heat would melt them. A clear distributor cap is the same thing, looks only.

Yeah, but he's saying he's having trouble with multiple caps, not just the clear one.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Go for the quality part. Go Nissan, not something from a VW or what ever fits. After market quality varies a lot.

I cant use a nissan cap.... doesn't fit the distributor.... 

I've been crossreferencing the beru vk106 It came with for a better quality  .. it list some audi and Porsche.... 

On 9/21/2018 at 2:05 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Forgot I order these.....

20180921_164019.jpg

After the beru cap failed I grabbed one from O'Reilly, I think it was "import direct".. it did the job and got rid of my misfire but had the aluminum contacts and quality was questionable..

The bosch fits so much better, not even the slightest wiggle once in place even without the clips on.... 

The clear one I couldn't help myself.... i was actually surprised on the quality, contacts and fit are just as good as the bosch and better than the import direct.... gonna save the clear one for days when I'm going to a car show or cruise....  

On 10/5/2018 at 4:41 PM, Crashtd420 said:

Well that clear distributor cap was a piece of shit..... I put it on to go to the last local car cruise..... heading home i hit the throttle and about 5000 rpm she got real unhappy at any rpm...... luckily I had the other cap in the truck swapped it on the side of the road and I was back to normal.... so much for novalty.... it was cool to see the rotor spinning..... 

On 10/10/2018 at 4:45 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Yup. .. funny thing that clear cap I bought was for a bug,  the 123 ignition distributor uses a Volkswagen/audi cap... I put my bosch back on and bought a new one from autozone just to have one on hand.... I might put the clear one in while I'm parked at a show to show off the distributor but that's about it....

Ahhh.... After market stuff. Can't go wrong with the original Nissan equipment. Bosch used to be a good name. Now it's on 'remanufactured' crap from China.

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Ahhh.... After market stuff. Can't go wrong with the original Nissan equipment. Bosch used to be a good name. Now it's on 'remanufactured' crap from China.

Yup... china is not my friend..... so far the oriellys one has worked .... I'm gonna see what the audi/ Volkswagen dealer has to offer.... 

• Like 1

Ya this cap issue is annoying.... I actually had a damn miss fire driving to the show today... swapped the cap at a rest stop and everything ran fine the rest of the way and all the way home....I have 2 of the same ones so  I'll just keep swapping one under warranty till I have a good one on the truck and a back up... I'm still gonna look for an oem one, looks like the one I need is  used on some mid 70s  audi, Volkswagen,  Porsche, Volvo, Mercedes or BMW .... not sure which would be the best choice.. 

Any opinion on which one to try?

And when i went to put the truck in the garage I realized I had a burned out bulb... I guess I got water in the tail light when I washed it.... guess I'll get some spare bulbs when I go to the parts store..

• Like 2

I got a couple other air correctors in the other day along with a leaner idle jet.... 

Now that I have a good range to play with between the different emulsion tubes, mains and air correctors I think I got a handle on the main circuit, so the transition off idle has become my focus...  I tried the new idle jets and they are  too lean .. so i pickup this to see if i can find tune it... 

Screenshot-20181018-170026-e-Bay.jpg

It has the .5mm drill i need to turn my 45f9 into a 50f9 ... I currently am using a 55f9, which is just a little rich just off idle...

I also have a 55f6 which has a smaller airbleed and runs richer than the f9.. i can use some of the other drill sizes to open up the airbleed on these idle jets and experiment.... 

As for the miss fire I ordered a pair of new rotors from 123 ignition, because eventually I'll need them and they wanted $13 to ship 1 so why not get 2 for the same shipping.....

As for the cap I have 2 import direct caps that have a lifetime warranty so I can always have a new one on standby...

But quality is in question, I was able to cross reference the cap to a 1978 bmw 320i, so I am gonna stop by the bmw dealer and see how their oem quality is. 

All in time to put it away for the winter.... 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well New England weather has become cold and rainy..... the last car show I was trying to go to was canceled till spring...

So instead I'm getting the datsun ready for the winter.... plan is to get the truck up on jack stands so I can start going through my list of items I want to correct.... I got 2 new rotors from 123 ignition  and I am swinging by the bmw dealer to order a distributor cap that fits my 123 ignition distributor... it has to be shipped from Germany so hopefull the quality is good, and I also want to order a couple other parts tomorrow but I am confusing myself right now...

So i have 2 part number questions...

1st is about the transmission... I have a short 71b 5spd.... I am doing the bellhousing swap to mate it to my L series motor.....  I cant seem to find where I read it but I believe I need to replace the counter shaft bearing with a different size.. at first I searched for the 720 part but I think that's wrong.... wouldnt I need the bearing that fits the L series bellhousing? Any info or part number would be helpful....

2nd is i want to install the higher volume oil pump... one of the ones I've had saved to buy list these vehicles....

Screenshot-20181101-170924-e-Bay.jpg

I know it looks the same but is it the one I want?, again any info or part number would be appreciated....

If you have a short shaft 5 speed it came out of a 1985/86 Nissan 720, correct?

Them years had larger front cluster gear/counter shaft bearings, you will need to buy a great quality smaller bearing for your L block front case(what case do you have, from what?), it is easy to remove the larger bearing and replace it with a smaller bearing, I wrote an article about this exact subject in the how to section.

Again I cannot stress this enough, buy the best bearing that money can buy, I myself ask for bearings made in Japan at the bearing places I go to, I have spent $70.00 for one in the past.

1 hour ago, wayno said:

If you have a short shaft 5 speed it came out of a 1985/86 Nissan 720, correct?

Them years had larger front cluster gear/counter shaft bearings, you will need to buy a great quality smaller bearing for your L block front case(what case do you have, from what?), it is easy to remove the larger bearing and replace it with a smaller bearing, I wrote an article about this exact subject in the how to section.

Again I cannot stress this enough, buy the best bearing that money can buy, I myself ask for bearings made in Japan at the bearing places I go to, I have spent $70.00 for one in the past.

I dont know the year but I believe it's something like that.... 

I believe the donor case was from a 280z.... and I get what your saying about the bearing quality,  I am also thinking about boring the new case to accept the larger bearing.... 

So if I want the smaller bearing should I be looking up a part from the 280z?