A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So now I have a week of possible rain coming I really need my Chevy to start tonight.... the new module should be here today.... I know Charlie was curious this is what the inside looks like....

20180711_165551.jpg

Hopefully the new one does the trick, I'll admit there is one wire you cut and connect to one of the ends... well first time I connected to the wrong end, after the first key cycle I realized my mistake... atleast I know what to do this time.....

• Like 1

So on to the datsun,  figure I really need to get moving on the door glass... got the wing window seals in.... and was able to adjust the metal that holds the glass.... it was a little off in the frame...

20180719_183120.jpg

All good now..... 

So now the glass.... I got some 5/64 glass setting tape, but it was a little to thick.... 

20180719_183102.jpg

I can still use on the roll up windows,  but it looks like I'll need 3/64 setting tape for the wing window glass....

• Like 1

And then the drive home yesterday,  still had a miss fire..... 

Then some b6es spark plugs showed up late last night,( wasnt quick enough to change the order)..... so I said fuck it and put them in.... I did gap them to .038 for now... I guess +/- .008 is acceptable....

I did get 2 boxes so now the plan is to keep the other box and order a box of the wide gap plugs... once I get this miss fire figured out I wanna get to a tuning shop and have them dial in my carb and timing curve.... I think they like to use fresh plugs so I'll have a choice..

So with the new coil and now the low ohm cables on the way I hope things start behaving better.... 

• Like 1

They preset the switches but they tell you to verify it.... 

I found the directions to be kind of shitty..The wording on the wiring for the wire you cut got me a little backwards.... then there Is a red and white wire.... well they don't tell you to hook both up... 

Basically red is for passkey

Red and white is for passlock.... 

But they don't have that in the directions... ground and one other wire.

I'll post a full write up in the other vehicle section... hopefully it will be a success story..... 

• Like 1
On 7/18/2018 at 9:15 AM, Crashtd420 said:

So after some discussion in another thread about mounting the coil.... I decided since I cant get a factory coil I would try the red Bosch coil, recommended by distributorguy.....

Screenshot_20180718-085245_Chrome.jpg

I'm gonna ohm my wires tonight also and see what they read, he said make sure they are less than 2000 ohm... 

Also he recommended non resistor plugs.....

So if recommended is the br6es at the parts store.... is the b6es what I'm looking for as a non resistor plug?

And apparently this is not the red coil distributorguy was talking about... this is a newer Brazil made coil.....

So that will be going back.... just purchased this.. nice old stock german made

Screenshot_20180720-095023_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

I cant believe it my pos Chevy lives....

To anyone who has their passlock system failing this newrockies module is the cure.... my truck hasn't started in 2 weeks..... 

I got a bad module or I fucked it up, but either way this new one worked.... I even removed the bypass associated with my remote start and I can still use my remote start..... I'll post a more detailed write up in the non datsun area for anyone who can use the info.....

Just in time, rain coming next week, and now I can give the datsun a break till the new coil and wires show up....

• Like 1
On 7/19/2018 at 10:27 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Not to worried about noise suppression... no radio.... 

I'm gonna go with this for some new plug wires... cut to fit one end... and they claim 500ohms per foot....

Screenshot_20180719-102307_Amazon.jpg

Just trying to get the best possible combination.....

To add to this.... I don't know remember who I got this idea from but I believe it was someone in the 510 section.. you'll notice the kit is for a v8.. I figure extra wires cant be a bad idea.. it was $6 more than the 4 cylinder kit, and it also gives you the crimping tool.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Why do spark plug wires have so much impedance?

OK solid core wires transfer the most spark energy BUT act like radio transmitters interfering with radio and TV signals in you car or in home you driveby. In today's newer cars it may even upset all the EFI electronics but not applicable in old Datsuns really. By adding some resistance to the wires this can be eliminated so manufacturers are required to have some resistance built into their wires in order to reduce radio interference.  After all there's no sense having some wires quiet while others cause problems. A couple of thousand ohms per foot would be fine. There''s little advantage to solid core wires as the resistor ones work just as well. This would be like putting a semi tractor rad in your car... you know it's got far superior cooling ability... you simply don't need it.

• Like 1

An ignition coil puts out high voltage, but very little current.  Resistance only causes a voltage loss if there is current flowing.  The high resistance of plug wires really cuts down on the spark plug wires causing radio interference, but really does not affect the ability of the spark to ignite the fuel air mixture.

Another problem with not using plug wires with resistance is the spark plug electrodes wear faster, because the high current actually burn up the electrodes on the plug.

• Like 1

Got my new coil and wires today....

Also picked up some extra plugs so I have a choice in the gap... 

20180723_170109.jpg

Really hoping this does the trick....

Other wise I'm not really sure what to look at next..... 

Also here are the resistor plugs I changed out for the non resistor....

Seem good to me....

20180723_170148.jpg

• Like 1

Reaching out to Daniel for this one....

Do you still have the door glass out on one of your 521s?

I thought these were the same but apparently there is a left and right...

20180727_065538.jpg

20180727_065548.jpg

One side is about 6.5 inches and the other 8.5..... 

I took it off thinking the little channel the roll up wheel goes in was centered but I guess I was wrong... I'm at work and was trying to clean mine up and realized the difference.....

I finally have the right window setting tape to put these and the wing window glass in.... 

3/64 thick was perfect for the wing windows.... I think 1/16 would be better for the roll up windows.... i have 5/64, little snug but will hold on nice..... 

• Like 1

I took a look at a window and regulator in a 521 door.  To identify a right and left sliding window, hold it top side up, and the slot in the regulator roller track AWAY from you.  If the curved top of the sliding window is closer to your right hand, you have a right hand window.  If the curved top is close to your left hand, left side window.

Anybody, If you have a 521, bookmark this link:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972

It is an online parts manual for 520 and 521 trucks, complete with pictures and part numbers.

Back to you, Crashtd420,

Looking at the parts manual, it appears to me that the sliding door glass, without the part Nissan calls the sash attached is the same for right and left.  There are different part numbers for the part Nissan calls the sash, the metal part on the bottom of the window, that has the roller track.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DanielC said:

A left window.

WindowSash1.JPG

I get about 6 7/8 inches.

WindowSash2.JPG

I was rounding a little on the measurement plus i wasnt measuring with the glass, but that's exactly what i needed to see..... thankyou very much for taking the time to check that for me.... I would have guessed wrong....

So I got the new bosch coil in, i mounted it vertically just because why not.... i get they should be able to be mounted horizontally but I'm not taking chances...

As far as the wires there was a big difference...

Went from 7mm to 8mm...

The lead to the coil was over 4000 ohms now 800 ohms.....

The ones going to the plugs were all over 7000, now all are 1200 ohms...

Hopefully the ride to work and home goes well tomorrow,  the motor seems a little happier revving it in the garage....