A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

They didnt have many options, i pulled the flasher from the truck in the parking lot, had the number 567 on it... it crossrefereenced to what i got... even if it does stop blinking then I now to check my bulbs... either way $10 And we are back to driving all around town....

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's not Canby but went to my first car show with my son yesterday.....

20180609_151809.jpg

No awards just a downtown summer stroll, more of a car cruise than a show...

Kid was more interested in the bounce house then the cars so i didn't get to talk to to many people but the datsun always had people hanging around it....

• Like 2

Also pickup up some heatshield material....

20180607_182652.jpg

Had enough to wrap the muffler with plenty leftovers to make a heatshield for under the carb (still need to make that).... for now I bought some header wrap that I hope to do soon to keep the heat down in the engine bay...

To many little things to do, I also pick up a 60amp alternator which needs to get swapped in...

Eventually I need to have the alignment properly set... I've done the tape measure and string stuff but I just don't trust what I've done .... I still wanna bring my front end up about another 1/2 inch too but I need the camber rest if I do.... looks like i need shims to do that...

I think I'm up to almost 400 miles on the truck now.... next i want to change the oil filter again at 500, still running the break in oil. Hopefully I can check the valve lash and plugs then too...

• Like 1

Seems like all the vehicles needed some love today.. After doing an oil change on the wifes subaru and doing some needed repairs to my chevy I was able to at least get the headers wrapped on the datsun....

20180610_144640.jpg

It's sad my Datsun is becoming more reliable than my chevy.. chevy motor has 271,000 miles but still runs good. rust is gonna be the death of that truck... lucky for me I own a welder, i just keep cutting and welding in new metal as needed, luckily cab mounts are still solid...

• Like 1

Been having a fun time driving the datsun.. I've been using it just about every day unless it's gonna rain....

I really need to finishing putting the doors together...

Any how since it's gonna rain tomorrow I figured it's a good time to pull the plugs and check the valves....

Thankfully cam looked like the day i put the motor together and the plugs looked like they should... I was running out of time but the quick test said I had a couple valves that I will need to tighten up, they loosened up by only .001-.002..

I'll do that tomorrow and see how thing look at 1000 miles...

• Like 1

So i went through the valve adjustment today.. couple tight couple loose nothing more the. 001, so not bad...

I reset what needed to be and put it back together. I made sure it still ran and all sounded good, little better even, till I heard the sound like water running... then I realized I never tightened the line going to the oil spray bar in the valve cover....

Luckily it was connected, just wasn't tight, and it didn't run for more than 10 seconds... just lost a little over a half a quart.... I had bought another quart of break in oil in anticipation of changing my oil filter, but now I need another quart so i can change my filter..

• Like 1

Well things seem to run just alittle better today.. I also turned the idle down, seemed like after it was warm it would idle around 1000..

i had a couple times where it would give an extra chug during shut down, and every once and a while a fart out the carb ... Adjusting the valves and lowering the idle seems to have helped that...

Now to play with the timing and the carb alittle.... I keeping reading the side draft carb like a little more timing, and most of the time i see 12 on my air/fuel gauge so things are close..

• Like 1

It is meant as a joke.

The chance of you getting a license plate with "521" in it was pretty high, unless you were able to choose the plate.

Yes I chose the plate....

it seems random because of the letters but I think only datsun people will get it..

Most don't even know it's a 521...

The letters are the first name initials for my son, me, and my wife.....

Also an anagram for "rais.n.hell"

I had done a second engine bay plate showing the build info... had a spot for built by: I came up with RNH Garage ...

Thus the RNH 521....

Had fun at my first show, there was only a peoples choice award and door prizes..

I think the only vote i got came from my son....

20180617_113519.jpg

Only Two datsuns and one nissan.....

20180617_101845.jpg

20180617_101202.jpg

20180617_093443.jpg

20180617_093841.jpg

20180617_093109.jpg

20180617_093120.jpg

The roadster was definately a driver....

The orange zcar was a fresh restoration, seemed to be all original and correct...

The white 300z was pretty original with a lot of dress up stuff...

• Like 2

That black roadster is a member of DRONE, named Charlie. He’s from Tyngsboro. Nice guy. He’s at Japanese car day every year.

That orange Z is there every year as well. Was it for sale? There’s one for sale in Newton for like $26k.

I went to a meet last night and this showed up. Needs a lot of work though.

tWzSHjU.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, that’s right Dana Scribner. His other buddy with the roadster is Charlie. And there’s another Charlie out in the Springfield area. Unfortunately, no one ever gets together anymore.

Ya that was definitely him, nice guy.. I believe he mentioned a guy Charlie that helps him out...

He also said the drone club isn't as active as they use to be...

• Like 1

Well apparently there is something called sealing tape... just need to figure out the right thickness...

I figure for now I can get the frame assembled....

20180624_140356.jpg

And of course I have issues...

Gasket seems to fit good, but I believe the little hinge got bent some how....

The wing window doesn't seat itself properly in the opening...

Also the hinge is held to the frame by 2 rivets, which I had to drill out to remove the window part, ... I need to grind the down on the inside, they push the gasket out just a little.....

So I'll probably started assembling the other one and see what that looks like..

I also wanna check and make sure it's not something with the whole frame....

• Like 1