A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

A little late, but save this pin out diagram.  Notice I had to do a repair on the dash light circuit on this instrument panel.

Pinout.JPG

Service manual basically says, park on level floor, correct tire air pressure, remove all loads from the bed.

Adjust the outer headlight independent of the inner headlights.  You have to cover the headlights you are not adjusting.

Aim the headlights on a wall 32.8 feet, or 10 meters from the wall.

Put a center line on the wall, and measure the distance from the center line of each headlight on the truck.  Put marks on the wall, same as the distance from the center line of the truck.  Aim the two high beam (inner) lamps level with the truck, same distance off the center line.

High/Low beam lamps need to be aimed down, and slightly right of the high beam pattern.  Try just hitting the ground with the hot spot of the low beam lamps, on high beam, with the inner high beam lamps covered at around the 32.8 foot mark.

Take the truck for a test drive after dark, and adjust the head lights if needed.  Aiming the lights too high may cause other drivers to "flash" you, and almost every other car on the road now has more powerful headlights than a 521.

If you put more powerful headlights on a 521, you will need to change some of the headlight wiring.  I would suggest doing some headlight wiring mods even on a stock headlight lamp 521.

A simple mod.  Get an additional relay, your basic Bosch cube type relay.  Supply fused power to the cube relay pin 30.  Remove the red with a yellow stripe wire from the original headlight relay, plug that wire to pin 86 of the Bosch relay.  Ground pin 85 on the Bosch relay.  Make a jumper wire from pin 87 on the Bosch relay to the pin on the original headlight relay you pulled the red with a yellow stripe wire from.  Use at least 12 gauge wires for your new relay wiring.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple quick pics from Saturday.....

Got everythiing done on the exterior that's needed to pass inspection....

20180505_103913.jpg

20180505_104252.jpg

I'll take some better pics later ... it rained most of the weekend so that was all I took....

I also got the dash setup, still have a little more wiring to do but everything I need working is.. got the new seatbelts installed too....

Should be everything I need to pass inspection....

See what happens this afternoon after work...

• Like 3

EPIC FAIL......

Well the front 3 feet of the truck made it into the inspection station.....

Then I proceeded to get hung up in the entrance and rip the exhaust off.... luckily it was just a slip on connection where it seperated so nothing got damaged....

I knew it was low but didn't expect that..

The muffler was just in a bad spot.. I was trying to get the sticker so i could legally drive to an exhaust shop. I'm already past the 7 days, the sticker place is under a mile away but the exhaust shop is a small drive.. ..

Anyhow got some supplies to do a home made exhaust job and Atleast get the muffler in a better spot. So exhaust work tomorrow and try for a sticker again Wednesday....

• Like 1

Oh ya forgot to mention... 2 cops with lights on met me at the end of my road... thankfully they weren't there for me and had something else to do so my lack of a sticker wasn't even noticed.... the after the inspection station I had to drive home with open headers... thankfully I didn't see any on my way home...

• Like 1

Ya that's about what i was thinking of doing and where I wanted to put the muffler..

I was just hoping for better bends then you can get at the parts stores, the place not far does mandrel bends, which is why i was gonna use them ...

For now I was running a 2 inch exhaust and I got 2 1/4 diameter for the 2 90degree bends I needed, trying to not restrict things with these crap bends....

• Like 1

You can order mandrel bends from these guys.

http://www.mandrelbends.com/

I think that's where I got the 45 I used to connect to my header...

I'll be going that route next, i was actually hoping to use mandrel bends and stainless, even v-band clamps, but no funds for that right now. So I bought enough to do what I need from orielly and autozone...

• Like 1

Well hopefully I can get some good pics outside today and tomorrow....

Ready for a second attempt to get a sticker this afternoon..

I was able to get the exhaust routed to the passenger side and gain alot more ground clearance since the muffler isn't under the frame rail now....

There's definately room for improvement but without a bender I can't achieve exactly what i would like....

• Like 1

What's messed up is they didnt check anything.... took pics of the plates, speedo and vin... slapped a sticker on and said have a nice day.....

I didnt turn a light on or even honk the horn....

Anything to do with the age?  Here in MD my truck is historic so no inspection or emissions.  

Congrats and enyoy!

That's the plan.... in the small time I drove it i had 2 people ask questions... another take a pic, and i seen a hand full of others just about break their necks turning around to check it out.....

Definately a good feeling after 4.5 years working on it and 13.5 years of looking at it in my garage....

• Like 1

Anything to do with the age? Here in MD my truck is historic so no inspection or emissions.

I honestly don't know.... I know I don't have to worry about emissions but I figured they would at least go through the safety.... I was explaining all the work I've done maybe he figured I had everything covered..... I was just too excited to be getting a sticker without hassle to ask any questions ...

• Like 1

When dealing with government inspections, it is usually best to answer questions directly, offer no information unless requested, and keep the answers a short and brief as possible.

I would suggest taking your 521 to a Nissan dealer, and getting the front end alignment checked.

It is fun to drive it around, isn't it?   

• Like 3

I would suggest taking your 521 to a Nissan dealer, and getting the front end alignment checked.

This made me chuckle. No way anyone at the Nissan dealer would be able to wrap their head around a 521.

Last time I went to the dealer, they couldn't even find the 521 in the parts catalog. 

• Like 2

This made me chuckle. No way anyone at the Nissan dealer would be able to wrap their head around a 521.

Last time I went to the dealer, they couldn't even find the 521 in the parts catalog.

I do plan on going to the dealer, but not to have anything done.. the one near me was actually pretty good looking up parts for me... as long as one certain guy was there.. .

Also there s a datsun 240 maybe 280 z In the Honda showroom for some reason, i think it was set up as one of those "lemon race" cars... I think it's the service managers ... he want to see my 521 when it was done, so I'll head there at some point..

• Like 2