wheel width vs tire width and driveability

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just leave this here

CA VC 27454. A tire on a vehicle upon a highway shall not have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, ridge, bead, or any other protuberance of metal or wood that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.

Excessive stretch is not legal, all rides in preceding pics aren't California legal

Again, function is relative.  Grip level can be tuned for different surfaces and atmospheres by using incremental camber changes.  just because you dont understand it, doesnt make it wrong.  Who are you to dictate what is respect for a car or a person?  Dont let your post count go to your head hotshot.  

Function is relative? You're right! there is relatively little function left in this car. So much for tuning camber for grip level. 10" rims with only 2" of rubber on the pavement. Anyone can understand this is a good example of excessive form destroying function, safety, respect and dignity.  

I think these are 15x10 -45 with 195/45...

15048160_1127311020679357_55666959883803

He seems to drive it around.

hqdefault.jpg

"It's definitely YOU!"

And.....

eeca4bc605ba088726dfaca2130b344e.jpg

Still not a pun genius...you were grasping at straws calling me a racist...get of your short bus and read post 15, it has the most pertinent info you needed but your butthurt flowed because I pointed out your lack of knowledge relative to Speed Star Racing wheels. The entirety of your posts are pretty much wonk wonk wonk like Charlie Brown's fucking teacher.

Oh boy, now I havent met your requirements for a pun? Thoroughly incorrigible....

The 14x10 -32's are going to need a bigger flare, but that shouldn't look bad

What will look bad is a 205 on a 10" wheel. Toyo R888's come in 225/50/14, but something even wider would look good in the back.

here's a 195/45 on a 15x10 .. I doubt it's the look you want, and you don't need much stretch to fit those wheels:

31279049125_840a64474b_z.jpg

This is definitely on the more extreme end of what Id like to run.  The flares will likely be built around final tire size choice, not sure about that yet though.   A great reference thank you! 

Watching rolling videos of this thing is painful at times.  No intentions of going this low.  An absolutely beautiful car IMO. Thank you for your input!

People with something positive to post, how refreshing.

This guy in the thread link below started messing with the tires on around page 11 in his thread, you might pick his brain.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55810-70-521-lina-bear/

Here is his truck.

20161126_161124.jpg

I know right? Great link, thank you!  Looks like the banter kept the thread at the top long enough for the right people to see it.  :thumbup:

I'll just leave this here

CA VC 27454. A tire on a vehicle upon a highway shall not have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, ridge, bead, or any other protuberance of metal or wood that projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.

Excessive stretch is not legal, all rides in preceding pics aren't California legal

the fuck this have to do with anything? you the sheriff? you gonna tattle on us?

Function is relative? You're right! there is relatively little function left in this car. So much for tuning camber for grip level. 10" rims with only 2" of rubber on the pavement. Anyone can understand this is a good example of excessive form destroying function, safety, respect and dignity.  

hqdefault.jpg

"It's definitely YOU!"

And.....

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................. FLUFF

Your first post STARTED, literally the first thing you said, was flaming the wheel size and the aesthetic of using two different sets of wheels......  and the 3 after that were spent reinforcing your disgust with the idea.   In my response to your first post, I clearly stated I was more concerned about the difference in wheel width and I would square the tire width if recommended.  I was also very respectful of your opinion despite your unwarranted criticism.    Just stop now, I would say while youre ahead, but that hasnt happened yet. I like how you skated over my question challenging your authority on respect for cars.. Cmon now, anyone who thinks someone looses respect because of how they treat their inanimate, material object is a fucking tool.    Kick rocks, schools out now.

Now, show me where I flamed you in my first post. Here it is yet again....

I see no sense in 10" rims if you don't fill them with 9-10" wide tires. I think the 510 looks just fine with sensible 8 or 9" rims (or less even) and tires. But this is just me. Running narrower tires on the front assumes slightly less traction than the rears and would tend to under steer when pushed hard. Am I reading this right? you are having two different makes of rims on the car?????? WTF?

185 and 205 is meaningless unless you include the 75, 70, 60 or 50. The 510 uses a tire about 23"-23.5" diameter so you don't want a 14" tire that is taller as it upsets the looks, performance and the speedometer.

A 205/75R14 is going to be over 26" tall and 8" wide on a 10" rim????? well not so good

A 205/60R14 is also 8" wide but 23.5" tall and very close to the 510's original tire size. Wider rim needs wide tire....

A 225/50R14 is 22.86" and 8.8" wide. Almost 9" tire on a 10" rim will look better.

A 235/50R14 is 23.25" and 9.25" wide

Fronts I don't think you want larger diameter tires in the back and short in the front. It will start to look like a AA fuel dragster.

A 170/70R14 is 23.37" tall and 6.7" wide. This gives a 2.5" difference in tire widths front to back and still the same relative diameter to the original 5:60 X 13 tires that came on it.

I have no idea if these tire sizes are available.

Almost three weeks and I'm....

Holy bickering.

Input regarding the mismatched wheel choices. Its a drift thing, less for style than it is function. When you are switching wheels/tires a few times per event, especially on the rear, its easier to have multiple sets of same/similar size/offsets with the next set of junk tires on it than have 8+ matching sets on a budget. 

A lot of street styles are and have generally been loosely based on cars in different race. That said, some I will never get. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Almost three weeks and I'm....

Whoa, came back to this far a reference to find more bullshit from you.  Seriously, you waited 7 days without a response only to comment again?  This site legitimately IS your life, so now I kind of feel bad for judging you.  A lonely troll with no one to play with doesnt deserve to have such high social standards imposed on him.  I wish you the best, im sure you're not "special" to at lease one person in your life.

• 2 weeks later...

Function is not relative. Your perception of it might be but in reality function either works (functional) or it doesn't (dysfunctional)  Read again, I said "When form is excessive to the point of interfering with function..... Whacked out camber" not some small stock amount which is needed. I completely understand that tires riding on the edge don't grip as well as flat when braking. So what the hell are you saying? that mad camber is better? I don't think so. So what's left to bitch about?? No one, who knows what they are doing, does this to increase their braking or their handling. They distort the functionality/safety of their car to be rebellious attention seekers. No one who respects themselves or their car does this.

This is a cry, both for attention and for help...

new-rims-on-toyota-gt-86-doesnt-mean-you

Painting some weird color logos, dragging a teddy bear on a rope behind it, or strange body add on,s or a 30 foot antenna to be rebellious.... I don't care. I don't have to be seen in it so knock your self out.

Dammmm... you are too much dude.. are you a preacher or something, do you do Sunday's church.. ? Damm my church would love to use you.. just kidding.. but I see your point.. respect

OP said I flamed him in my first post. Look it up and you decide. I say no, and have shown him what flaming really is and can be if you try. Still waiting for him to show me this first post 'flaming' because I'm pretty sure it isn't anything like the rest.

Respect? Don't care, just respect your Datsun and I'm good.

Holy mother, I like watching acrophobia videos.. to my eyes looks sick, man I wonder if this guy has the infiniti m30s struts with the z32 calipers for the fronts.. ., I'm using that set up for my datsun 510 4dr Dude, I found a guy selling a pair of rims his fronts are 15x7's with +25 offset & 15x8's +0 offset back. Do you think I'll be fine using those rims without flares or maybe I should roll the front fenders and roll the rear lip as well? the tire sizes for the fronts I might use will be 175/50R15 and the rears 195/45R15 ... let me know what you think?.. Do I need to use any wheel spacer for the fronts since the offset it's +25.. Also the Center Hub Bore Size from this guy he told me it's 73.1mm, isn't that bigger than the infiniti M30 which is 66.1mm and probably bigger too from the stock 510 rear wheel hub size bore.. will that matter ? The hub bore size it's bigger 73.1mm 510T and other's what do you guys think.. . ?

1. infiniti m30s struts with the z32 calipers for the fronts.. ., I'm using that set up for my datsun 510 4dr Dude,

2. I found a guy selling a pair of rims his fronts are 15x7's with +25 offset & 15x8's +0 offset back. Do you think I'll be fine using those rims without flares or maybe I should roll the front fenders and roll the rear lip as well?

3. the tire sizes for the fronts I might use will be 175/50R15 and the rears 195/45R15 ... let me know what you think?..

4. Do I need to use any wheel spacer for the fronts since the offset it's +25..

5. Also the Center Hub Bore Size from this guy he told me it's 73.1mm, isn't that bigger than the infiniti M30 which is 66.1mm and probably bigger too from the stock 510 rear wheel hub size bore.. will that matter ?

For #2, yes you'll need the rear lips rolled and probably pulled a little.

For #3, that's a good bit of stretch but it's likely what you'll need to do to make that rear fit. 

For #4, probably not. With M30 struts/hubs (see #1) you'd need something in the +20 range anyway. To get as "hellaflush" as the rears will be, you might need a 10mm spacer. 

For #5, your wheels do not need to be hubcentric. As long as the hub hole is bigger than your hub, you're fine. 

I'm running 15x7's with +25 offset front and rear and I'm using no spacer. I had to roll the lip and pound out the inner shoulder on the rear to get 8" tires in there. Given you'll be stretching smaller tires over your 8" 0 offset rims you may get away without flares. With that rim in the front, the first point of rub will be at the strut. I had to grind a bit off the lower spring perch to clear the coilover. Very tight up in there. 

I'm running 15x7's with +25 offset front and rear and I'm using no spacer. I had to roll the lip and pound out the inner shoulder on the rear to get 8" tires in there. Given you'll be stretching smaller tires over your 8" 0 offset rims you may get away without flares. With that rim in the front, the first point of rub will be at the strut. I had to grind a bit off the lower spring perch to clear the coilover. Very tight up in there.

What suspension are you running to your front fenders? 280zx or M30 struts hubs? Your 510 it's a coupe 2 Dr's right, my car it's a 4dr sedan.. I try not to do any cutting except stretch roll the front fender lips and rear lips too. Also what tire size are you running to your fronts?

Different countries define it differently. A coupe has to have two doors but if two rows of seating, it's a 2 door sedan. A coupe can still be a coupe if it has limited cramped rear seating compared to it's sedan counterpart. Coupes have no B pillar.and are often called a Hardtop although there are 2 and 4 door Hardtop sedans.

I'm confused but to make things easier here, a  North American 510 is either a 2 door or 4 door sedan or a wagon, sometimes also called an estate car. There are 510 coupes but they are right hand drive and only sold in Japan. 

No B pillar. Roof line is lower and leaning forward at the C pillar. It could be argued that it cramps the back seating compared to the 'real' 2 door sedan... thus a coupe.

70SportsCoupe.jpg

Has a B pillar, not much but it's there. Roofline and rear window is higher and 'roomier' for rear seating.  

datsun-510-coupe-01.jpg