barNLove!

HOGIE

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Draker's pic explain your first question.

It was about 115-120 miles. Took the long way on back roads because 55mph was just enough for the old girl.

Don't think I'd wanna go much over 55MPH in a stock suspension 320 for much of a distance. Mighty Mouse's suspension is pretty tight and has new shocks all round and 55 is plenty enough for me. I've found the short wheelbase, narrow track and hard sprung ride at speed can get a bit freaky on some roads and wind conditions. The reaction these little pickups induce in other drivers and bystanders makes it all worthwhile.

That's a beautiful little survivor truk and a time travel capsule, Hoagie. You're a very lucky man.

• Like 7

Don't think I'd wanna go much over 55MPH in a stock suspension 320 for much of a distance. Mighty Mouse's suspension is pretty tight and has new shocks all round and 55 is plenty enough for me. I've found the short wheelbase, narrow track and hard sprung ride at speed can get a bit freaky on some roads and wind conditions. The reaction these little pickups induce in other drivers and bystanders makes it all worthwhile.

That's a beautiful little survivor truk and a time travel capsule, Hoagie. You're a very lucky man.

Once you get over the unstable jolts and learn to expect them, its do-able.    Its easier and far more comfortable if you put a heavy load in bed, but if you go with too much weight the steering can get scary light.  I've driven ~3 hours with a couch in the bed at ~65, and used to commute an hour on the highway each way to one job.  

• Like 4

I plan to change the rear ratio to 4:11 which should net me 50-60 MPH cruising without excessively winding the E1 which is plenty fine for my driving conditions and should still have pretty good low speed acceleration. 

I don't want to go to the 3:8? ratio as i won't be doing a lot of highway driving; mostly around town and I feel that I'd give up more low end than I'd like.

This is a future project as I haven't acquired a 4:11 third member yet. Will start looking for a good one soon. 

• Like 2

All the normal ratios used to be easy to find when there was several 620/720s in the wrecking yards every day, but now it is hard to find more than one or two of either of them in the 3 yards around here, there are no 620s right now, there's an 81 and 83, and there are six 84-86 Nissan trucks, an 84 and 85 are certain to be 720s, but the four 86s could be 720s or D21s, there appears to be quite a few here right now, last time I checked there was only one 720.

The 411 ratio is hard to find in 720s, but the 620s had them, unfortunately there are no 620s in any of our local Portland area yards.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Little updates on my truck. Sourced parts and rebuild the carb. Runs great now. This summer we drove down to a near by parade/fair and car meet. And the generator stopped charging. Just got the generator and regulator back from the shop. Should be good to go.

Ty1mBtn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The line up for parade. Leading the way

rAvXjo3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The line up at ‘show’.  I’m at the other end

ELQaShW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Didnt realize until after the fact how dim those headlights are. 

Edited by HOGIE
Bad link
  • Like 2
  • 4 years later...

Wow a lot of time has passed since I last posted here. 

Update. This picture is the last time I drove it to a meet Powerland 2019.

93835D52-701F-455D-BD70-AF94333C4FF1.thumb.jpeg.f86a2394586cfb6003c03feaa0751f8f.jpeg

Since that day I decide that the engine smoked too much, and there was just something not right. Being the original numbers matching motor I decided not to drive the truck until I figured out the problem. The only way it moved after that day was on a trailer, or just putting in first gear.

876175C2-B80A-4C45-86C4-C803C766FED0.thumb.jpeg.c97fdfe2a1a573016da7c1e8c50ab67b.jpeg 

Or just parked

E43E715B-57BF-4B61-8F50-17EABDE06C72.thumb.jpeg.7e0369e5aca4722b500295d2c9e34d8e.jpeg

It took some time to collect the parts I’d need to rebuild the engine but last summer I finally got to the point when I was ready to open it up.

26AE30C6-AF9B-4612-BC26-0C6036C71605.thumb.jpeg.6e2a1b1a135c7d34365440da0cb26258.jpeg

4CF447CD-59DF-44B0-B201-708FB21710CC.thumb.jpeg.3b11e42463e8e7e5b9a6ad815ad9a570.jpeg
You can still see some cross hatch but there was quite a wear lip. Maybe put away wet and 19 years in a barn didn’t help the rings, and the valve seals were shot. 

Major milestone today, picked up rebuilt head and block. I had the shop resurface the head and install new valve guides, valves and ground the seats. They resurfaced the block, and ground the crank. Installed new oversized pistons, crank and rod bearings, and cam bearings. I also had them resurface the flywheel, and had them hot tank the oil pan, timing cover, and front/back cover plates. 

D85A7D7B-60F4-4DD8-A7D7-14A6DDE03E00.thumb.jpeg.0b5f9b2a7ec6348408510f6a9f14ec7d.jpeg

5F84B11E-9AF0-4913-87C6-6D3274F6490A.thumb.jpeg.c83719ae12dc4cdf819b8632686ee3e3.jpeg

19863277-057A-4A19-BACC-CD3927514CB3.thumb.jpeg.7e618b50c525beba7d51c57610d302cd.jpeg

54079BDD-5F25-4A3D-A24E-DA09D14367E5.thumb.jpeg.594ad0f8c30881365bab8e2a0e64d0f3.jpeg

A7B9445E-6951-48C3-AF85-20E8D253E65A.thumb.jpeg.2bf57269c0b64aee4c91a4f70a603e0a.jpeg

FE4CCE25-721E-4EB5-9F69-C00845AD354A.thumb.jpeg.c65d9051e27066f21c7b7541bd43bb56.jpeg

I still need to buy a clutch kit, timing kit, water pump, and head gasket. I have a time ahead of me cleaning, painting and installing parts.

A few other things I plan to do are:
Rebuild the heater box and have the heater core and radiator serviced. Paint the engine bay.

Replace steel brake lines.

Rebuild(or replace) the wiper motor. 
Replace the windshield. 
Install vent window rubbers. 
Upgrade brake master cylinder. 
Install Bluehands disc brake conversion brackets. 

But the goal is to get as much done as needed to drive to at least 1 Datsun meet this summer, fingers crossed. 

Edited by HOGIE
  • Like 6
20 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Curious - did you find Datsun parts for the engine rebuild? Or did you use BMC parts?

I'd run a die grinder around the combustion chambers to clean up the sharp burrs before you install the head. Burrs or even a sharp edge there can cause pinging.

So far it’s all been Datsun parts. I’m looking at a couple BMC parts on mossmotors, head gasket and clutch assembly. Water pump and timing kit will be rockauto Datsun parts. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HOGIE said:

So far it’s all been Datsun parts. I’m looking at a couple BMC parts on mossmotors, head gasket and clutch assembly. Water pump and timing kit will be rockauto Datsun parts. 

Here's a Clutch-Pro brand kit to search for. I grabbed this image off one of the Datsun forums a couple years ago. Not sure which head gasket is the best choice, the all metal one or the metal/gasket material composite one. One thing that I always do is spray a good coat of aluminum paint on both sides of the head gasket on installation. Learned from my dad who was a Chevy and Ford dealer mechanic in 1950's - 60's.

Clutch Pro Kit for Column-Shift Trany.jpg

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 1

There are so many types of head gaskets for BMC motors. I have a stack of them that I used for mock up and for spares. Some are copper on one side and graphite on the other side. Others are all copper composite, and then there are the all graphite and non graphite composite gaskets. It's tough to know what you're going to get from Moss.

For more knowledgeable service, I tend to go with the smaller shops like Mini Mania and 7 Enterprises.

https://www.7ent.com/

Here's a copper gasket for a 1275 at only $10 - https://www.spridget.com/product-page/copper-head-gasket-1275-stock

Oops, I think I'm getting confused again. Are the Datsun motors more like B series or A series BMC? I don't want to confuse things.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
40 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Here's a copper gasket for a 1275 at only $10 - https://www.spridget.com/product-page/copper-head-gasket-1275-stock

Oops, I think I'm getting confused again. Are the Datsun motors more like B series or A series BMC? I don't want to confuse things.

Everything I’ve found, and some of that is quotes from you, the Datsun E/J are BMC B-series clones. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, difrangia said:

Here's a Clutch-Pro brand kit to search for. I grabbed this image off one of the Datsun forums a couple years ago. Not sure which head gasket is the best choice, the all metal one or the metal/gasket material composite one. One thing that I always do is spray a good coat of aluminum paint on both sides of the head gasket on installation. Learned from my dad who was a Chevy and Ford dealer mechanic in 1950's - 60's.

Clutch Pro Kit for Column-Shift Trany.jpg

I found that clutch part number referenced in another thread, and on FB Datsun 320 Owners. I did a google search and it was over $400 for the clutch kit. Ouch. 

1 hour ago, HOGIE said:

I found that clutch part number referenced in another thread, and on FB Datsun 320 Owners. I did a google search and it was over $400 for the clutch kit. Ouch. 

Whew, and I thought eggs were priced astronomical. I'm sure that you've studied Andy G. posts on 320 Owners on FB. he is heavily seasoned on the Britt to Datsun interchangables.