Spacers

DatMo

So I didn't want to run any spacers that weren't the bolt on but the ones I got don't clear my 280zx hub by just a few mm so I ended up getting a 5mm as well but now my lugs don't seem to safe to me.

I'm not sure how tight they're supposed to be and I've heard it's safe if you have rotations by hand which I did.

But look at how little threads there are :/

I don't know why it has so little thread with just a 5mm thread. This is also hand tightened so maybe it'll be a few more with a gun.

And long story short, I can't get extended lugs.

So to show pics, do you think this is safe or?

They're stock 280zx lugs.

E7D0EB3E-FE72-4EF4-AC00-D94A0170BED1_zps

94287206-9AE3-411B-A347-C3AD82B41ECE_zps

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want as much engagement/depth as you have width.

Or properly fitting wheels.

They fit well but fitment isn't so nice and I was gonna find real riverges for that price anywhere else lol. Taking what you said into consideration, I sharpied the lug nut with hand tightening.

I think it equates and I plan to torque with it a gun too to insure it.

I have around 6 rotations total which I read on a Tacoma forum to be okay.

Here's a pic of that thread count.

9563F574-72F2-4537-92D0-C640E9B9A8B7_zps

Also, thanks flatcat :D

I wouldn't go past 80 ft. lbs.

Spec is probably less.

It these wheels fit properly, you wouldn't need spacers.

You know damned well what you're doing is ghetto.

And honestly...do you feel safe with your lug nuts only being 6 threads deep?

Tacoma forum? I work at Toyota and can tell you stock engagement to spec ends up being about 15-20 threads.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go past 80 ft. lbs.

Spec is probably less.

It these wheels fit properly, you wouldn't need spacers.

You know damned well what you're doing is ghetto.

And honestly...do you feel safe with your lug nuts only being 6 threads deep?

Tacoma forum? I work at Toyota and can tell you stock engagement to spec ends up being about 15-20 threads.

Ahhh you're right. I'll see if a machine shop can bore out the spacer a mm. Idk if they do those types of things but I got nothing to lose. Thanks.

ZX studs are pretty short. I put 2" ARP studs on my car (ZX struts) and was able to pull the new studs in with a lug and a stack of fender washers. 100-7708 $15 for a pack of 5. I currently have a 1" slip on spacer on my car (yes I know) and have thread engagement through the whole depth of the lugs, which is probably about 3/4".

I avoided he bolt on spacers and went with the long studs/slip on spacers because I felt more comfortable with it. Bolt on spacer, the wheel isn't physically bolted to the car, although many people do it without issue. Neither way is the "right" way, but that's what I chose to do. $1300 for affordable wheels and tires is currently out of my price range.

Orrrr what could potentially be cheaper is if anyone knew a spacer that would fit a 280zx hub that's 1 inch. I keep looking online and they all result in saying that it only fits the rear. I got my set from a guy with a 240z so I figured they'd fit. Live and learn.

So it seems dimedave confirmed in a different thread that for some reason 280zx's specifically have a larger bore so I was able to find a set of spacers that'll meet my requirements. They have a 73mm and he suspects the 280zx to hve a 70-71mm so I should be good.

Next time do the research and get the correct rims. Don't trim a spacer you will weaken it. If you just have to get spacers, get longer studs so you have proper thread engagement. Ever see what happens when a wheel separates from a vehicle? It fucks a lot of shit up.

• Like 1

Next time do the research and get the correct rims. Don't trim a spacer you will weaken it. If you just have to get spacers, get longer studs so you have proper thread engagement. Ever see what happens when a wheel separates from a vehicle? It fucks a lot of shit up.

1) longer studs wasn't an option at this point and I'm not gonna get into that. I also didn't wanna trim that spacer because that's also ghetto. After finding out that it's a different bore size I ordered the correct set online.

2) you don't find riverges for $300 a set that are real whenever and I'm willing to run a little spacer to suffice.

3)I'm aware which is why I was worried and posted this. I appreciate the concern.

My rule number one (for rims).... Never fall in love with rims that don't fit. They are like having a super model girlfriend.... look great and everyone want's her, but what they don't know is, the rest of the time she's a high maintenance needy pain in the ass and YOU have to make all the changes in the relationship. Rims should fit the car not the car fit the rims. 

• Like 1

My rule number one (for rims).... Never fall in love with rims that don't fit. They are like having a super model girlfriend.... look great and everyone want's her, but what they don't know is, the rest of the time she's a high maintenance needy pain in the ass and YOU have to make all the changes in the relationship. Rims should fit the car not the car fit the rims.

Fair enough. Completely respectable but I'm already too deeply in love lol
  • Like 1

Definitely no where near safe. I wouldn't even want to be on the road as you driving around with that little  amount of thread engagement. Nothing wrong with bolt on adapters if you have lug studs long enough to properly bolt them on. TQ the adapters to spec and use some blue loctite for good measure. Bolt wheels on to adapters and tq to 100lb/ft. Drive and recheck adapter to hub tq.

• Like 1

Definitely no where near safe. I wouldn't even want to be on the road as you driving around with that little amount of thread engagement. Nothing wrong with bolt on adapters if you have lug studs long enough to properly bolt them on. TQ the adapters to spec and use some blue loctite for good measure. Bolt wheels on to adapters and tq to 100lb/ft. Drive and recheck adapter to hub tq.

Thanks! I purchased the new set which should have enough engagement so it'll workout smoothly.

I've never felt like wheel spacers over a certain thickness just can't be safe, regardless of the stud length or thread engagement... But that's just me. I'm actually getting ready to order a set, but 10mm is as thick as I could convince myself of being safe...

I've never felt like wheel spacers over a certain thickness just can't be safe, regardless of the stud length or thread engagement... But that's just me. I'm actually getting ready to order a set, but 10mm is as thick as I could convince myself of being safe...

I ended up going with a 25mm and it all seems just fine. Got full lug engagement and I feel fine after having them on an older Subie in the past.

The bigger problem with spacers and our cars is that spacers are hub centric 99% of the time while our cars are lug centric. I would have your current ones machined to fit perfectly on the ZX hub since they won't center on the studs. Also most spacers/adapters in that size range come with different rings for the wheel to center on the spacer, well the spendy ones do.