Any clever ideas on charcoal canister / fuel vent for EFI conversion?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The canister only 'absorbs' fumes vented from the fuel tank I think. Does the TR4 even have a vented tank?

Usually there may be a vent line from the carb but this engine won't have that.

I'm not sure if there is a reason to have one, but if there is a tank vent line, any canister from any make of vehicle will work if it has...

A purge line.... just a vacuum line from the intake to signal the engine is running and to open the canister to empty it

A vacuum line from near the throttle so the fumes are thoroughly mixed with the incoming air

A tank vent connection.

This sould be enough.

• Like 1

Copy the TR6 system.  Use parts from a junk yard.

Copy some other mid 1970's car.   They are pretty simple.  Go to a much later car, and you could run into a lot of sensors, and make the system a lot more complicated.

The system used on a Datsun 521 just consisted of a tank above the gas tank, that separated fuel vapors from the liquid.  The liquid drained back into the gas tank.  There is a valve in the engine compartment, that allows air from the air cleaner to get into the tank, but any pressure in the tank is vented into the engine crankcase.  When the engine is running, the PCV system purges the engine crankcase.  A Datsun 521 with evaporative emission control does not have a charcoal cannister.

• Like 1

My '57 Land Rover with Toyota 22RE has the fuel vent line teed into the PCV system. There is a check valve, but it does not work flawlessly. On steep inclines with a full tank, it tends to flood over into the intake and sputter. I could use some sort of vapor canister in between.

For a street driven car, that doesn't see heavy offroad use, this setup would work fine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...