Chocolate covered circus peanut

Icehouse

Removing that stupid step in the rear fenders....  Can't wait to set it on the ground!!!!!!!!!  Yeah some bondo fell off behind the rear wheel.....  O well.  I'll offset the uglyness buy ride height.

iHbNPoq.jpg

• Like 10
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

Been plugging away on the coupe.  It's almost a driver.  Still needs a little wiring, trans shifter cover, battery tie down and maybe a different brake master.  Pedal travel is excessive.  Seeing it sitting on the ground is awesome!!   Here are some pics of the process.  

Taking out the frame so I can roll the rears.  I cracked off more bondo...  O well.  As long as it's low it will offset the slight defects.  

i8evzid.jpg

dtfqqBp.jpg

The ZX brakes I'd been saving turned out to be rusted solid. 😞

UFlw5tD.jpg

For some reason the brake rod was lilting down.  It was originally an auto car with no booster, which most Coupes had a booster.  Maybe the booster mounted the rod lower.  I ended up re drill the hole higher.

pEllss9.jpg

bYMTZAv.jpg
Finished up the piping, also got a new air filter. 

mxDEa3f.jpg

I don't care for the rubber elbows but whatever it's easy and I don't care enough to make it look fancy.  

JHKOIkk.jpg

638Lkvy.jpg

JLH9BpM.jpg

J5mQHH0.jpg

LrNskh6.jpg

nuP8Svd.jpg

I also swapped the crossmember again.  We had a Ford RHD drive steering rack laying around which means I wouldn't have to make a custom steering shaft, Sam helped me swap it over and WOW was it easy!  So handy having it all pre made.  

36dfv4e.jpg 

Deleted the dumb bean counter mirrors (fender mirrors) for a way better looking one.

DGlvUjJ.jpg

UMv84aQ.jpg

Yes on the ground!!  Can't wait to take it for a spin!

xiiDgvd.jpg

• Like 6
On 11/13/2019 at 5:44 PM, the510keeper said:

No Bluebird fender mirrors?  Whoa

Looking good 

I think fender mirrors are ugly.  I tossed them into the trash where they belong.   I did learn something about door mirrors.  LHD mirrors don't work on a RHD car.  The right hand side I maxed out and it barely works the left side was so far off it wouldn't even work.  Check Carters coupe thread for confrimation on door mirrors look much better then "bean counter mirrors"  Fender mirrors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/21/2019 at 6:37 AM, Icehouse said:

I think fender mirrors are ugly.  I tossed them into the trash where they belong.   I did learn something about door mirrors.  LHD mirrors don't work on a RHD car.  The right hand side I maxed out and it barely works the left side was so far off it wouldn't even work.  Check Carters coupe thread for confrimation on door mirrors look much better then "bean counter mirrors"  Fender mirrors.  

I concur. I've had fender mirrors on my last two  vws. Hate them. Impossible to see. Impossible to adjust.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a driver!   Needs some things sorted out but I can and have been driving it around all week.  Well today I took my tan 510 to work for a change, it's also fun to compare them since they are very different.  Coupe needs power steering next.  Manual steering makes the car feel less sporty I've decided.  

S1gVCjq.jpg

first trip!! 

71VL0Xn.jpg

• Like 6

Never cared for the rising sun hood either, or box flares, definitely NOT hood pins, wink mirrors, skull shift knobs or any other kind, push button start, any after market steering wheels, any rims other than stock mags, roll bars or 4/5?  point seat belts and the seats they are used on.