'71 Z with a paint job

240zness

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 1975 280Z that had the parking light circuit continually blowing fuses. I put in a slightly higher amp fuse ... blew that too a few days later. Not good.

So I just re-wired only the running lights and then sold the car later. It was kind of a junky Z.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Trying to throw something up here even though haven't worked much on the Datsun.

Driven about 3500 miles and see some Small oil and Coolant leaks. Main front seal and thermostat housing bolt getting crusty. Looks like the gasket sponged up liquid to the inside bolt. After refinishing the neck and filing bottom housing , nissan gasket and slightly longer bolts still small drops forming splattering onto valve cover. Re nickeled intake manifold lines are showing some crusty threads also.

Have plans for monitoring and resealing housing , replacing lower..

So giving the daily driving up on the Z, decided to work on electrical for lights.

Reconnect all markers lights etc. With connector cleaning , some spade issues. Probably check the turn signal switch internal. Realize that hazard switch has caused problems with past turn signal problems. Its very sticky and I'll try to get stuff working with some giggling with all the circuits complete.

IMG_20170712_134743514_HDR.jpg

And I bought an new switch , will wait to try since I feel like the whole harness fuse connector swich system needs more attention

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_20171029_095120013.jpg

IMG_20171029_095107834.jpg

At least it's sealed and waterproofed

But , would've liked to be more delicate.. my felt trans tunnel got ripped out. Needs to be restored

Fender fix turned into more..

One piece floor replacement.. tacked to frame rail and two inches up all the way around, and sealed

Other holes were fixed with tacked on patches and sealer , then sprayed with the hard seal rust preventer.

Still waiting for spot into the rack for front end ..

Rear end is suffering.. diff oil blowing out , half shafts seam ok

That level or filler plug are thought to get to huh.. plus never been removed I'm guessing

Then there's the whole forward diff 30mm thing. Some issues even with the mustache bar etc.. the diff mount and strap need mods to work.

All lighting issues were fixed by replacing a fuse that measured ok but blew when pushed down.

Combo switch has needed a few extra resets , and the the fuses get hot, but everything functions. Would like to properly restore the nissan connectors with new spades..