Stupid Z31 swap

vectorsprint

Sorry to make my first post a question, but you gotta start somewhere. And here's where I'm starting.

After losing my '80 S130 in an accident involving an unsecured load in a pickup, I've been away from Nissan/Datsun stuff for a while, but have a chance to get back in. An '85 Z31. That ate its valves after deferred service lead to a snapped timing belt. But, hey, free car, even if it doesn't run. Well, I have another car in my life- A rear ended and subsequently totalled '95 Nissan quest. Both use the VG30 engine, though I know the Quest uses a different head and cam, so it makes less power than the Z's engine. But, it'd get the Z31 back on the road.

And so my question: I know that the VG30 in the minivan is a FWD application and it's in a different shape body. Also also know the oil pump and crank snout are different. Does any of that prevent the minivan VG30 from sliding into the Z31? Does the oil pan need to be swapped along with the other accessories, does the minivan oil filter housing interfere in a Z31 install? These sound like super nooby questions, I know, but I can find literally zero information on the Quest/Villager variation of the VG30, outside of the fact that the head was changed, and dished pistons make it non-interference. It'd be cool to know if it won't fit, before I go trailer it, pull the motor, then mash something once it's in the engine bay of the Z.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fwd engines do work, but you don't really want much of it. The quest will be down on power from the 300zx. It's lower compression to aid in making it non interference.

The quest should be fairly similar to the maxima in what it takes to swap over. Read this.

http://z31.com/repairs/newengine.shtml