1983.5 4x4 720 build log (ressurection)

Mike8199

Some Background:

My dad bought it brand new, drove it on and off as a daily until 2000, when it overheated on the freeway. toasted the engine (no compression). Then it sat in the side yard for 16 years. in January he was going to donate it, i then said no and offered him a hundred bucks (lol), he declined the money and just said i could have it.

Condition:

Crap, absolute crap. everything needs to be replaced. all bushings have pretty much rotted, tires are disintegrated, rims rusted, engine blown (overheated), wires in engine bay non- existent, hoses - vacuum and radiator non - existent due to rats. NEEDS LOVE!!!!

Plans:

One day i want to do S.A.S, be on 37s, and rock crawl with my dad and my brother in their jeeps.

Current Status:

right now i have the engine pulled, head is cracked (between valve seats in cylinder 2), so im gonna pick up a new head casting tomorrow, have an enginetech rebuild kit, standard everything. cylinders are in spec but #1 has a slight horizontal pitting issue, but its only like 2 thousandths deep and only like 30 of the cylinder around, might be ok, im on a budget so ill probably still run it. the main plan is to get it at least somewhat running and driving good to pass smog and bring it to KOH 2017. I go every year as a passenger, and that will hopefully change this year! will update build log as it goes, and will do a S.A.S log when i get there. And once i figure out how to upload pictures u will see what im dealin with. (kinda i removed all chewed wires and hoses)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this? I've had my 84 running since the summer with a fresh rebuild. Would love to see someone else's work!

got the engine all together, just tryin to figure out vacuum lines atm. i got most of em i think but on the front cover there are 3 hard lines for vacuum lines. my diagram on my hood only shows 2. im kinda stuck here, any help would b greatly appreciated.

Sounds like my 85 720 4x4 I bought for 200 bucks. It sat forever, but it did run before it sat for a few years. I used this for my vacuum line diagram:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-720-pickup-truck-vacuum-hose-diagram-repair-guide.html

I finally got my mine running yesterday after a month of working on it.

• Like 1

Sounds like my 85 720 4x4 I bought for 200 bucks. It sat forever, but it did run before it sat for a few years. I used this for my vacuum line diagram:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-720-pickup-truck-vacuum-hose-diagram-repair-guide.html

I finally got my mine running yesterday after a month of working on it.

thanks man i tried tht but mine being an 83 it is different, but i think i figured it out. got the truck wired and stuff and it succesfully cranked over!! All i need now is a new fan blade. u know where i can get a replacement fan blade. havin trouble findng one

• Like 1

Update! She starts,runs, and clutch issue is now fixed, just waiting on a radiator fan and i can install the new cooling sys. Then its a matter of passing california smog, register, insure and then in a few months go for an S.A.S and equip my 37s!!!!!!!!!!! (On 33's now, not lift, all stock) Hope to see some of u guys at KOH 2017! (I go every year, but this will b my first year havin a vehicle with 4wd!!!)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No lift on 33s is going to rub like crazy over bumps and limit your turning radius significantly, just fyi.

actually i trimmed a little off and even took her off road. Never touches anything unless i full lock the turning. In which case the tires hit the frame. But i trimmed the fenders and took a sledgehammer to the floorpans in the front wheel wells. And the back is so stiff it never touches, even without trimming.
  • Like 1

Anything requiring a sledgehammer isn't "fitting" :)

sure it is lol its just floorpans, id rather have my feet be a little more cramped for my truck to have bigger tires! lol. besides its just temporary till i get a hold of a new front and rear axle, (either toyota or a dana set up). shes gonna have an SAS conversion, then i gotta find another stock t-case to dual case this thing!!!!!

• Like 1

If you can't find another t-case locally, I have a spare I will sell. I'm in Utah, so shipping might suck.

I want to do a dual tcase eventually on something, but I'm thinking d21 trans with married tx10 transfer case, with the 720 t100 tcase behind that. that d21 trans will bolt right to your z24.

If you can't find another t-case locally, I have a spare I will sell. I'm in Utah, so shipping might suck.

I want to do a dual tcase eventually on something, but I'm thinking d21 trans with married tx10 transfer case, with the 720 t100 tcase behind that. that d21 trans will bolt right to your z24.

hmm that does sound cool, how much would u wang for the t100?
  • 1 year later...

Been MIA for a while, But i have started modifying the truck to become a rock crawler. The h190 rear axle is out, and i have replaced it with a toyota 8 inch (79-85 toyota pickup axle) with 5.29 gearing. It also has a locker in it. Also this past weekend i have chopped off my factory leaf springs and have replaced them with chevy 63" leaf springs (stock is 47.25"). Next i will be chopping off the IFS and attempting a 3 link solid axle swap.

Hmmm.... what gears in the front R-180???

the factory 3.89. but i pulled the front driveshaft when i did the rear axle swap. (i have a matching toyota front axle with 5.29) i will be 3 linking the front soon.

• Like 2

I do like to see Datsuns being modified with Toyota parts.

Have your axle checked for camber. Usually all that welding on an axle housing bends the axle. I've been down this path before and most times, an axle can be bent back with a strategically placed weld bead followed by cooling with water.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Percy said:

Any updates on this build? I’ve got an 81 I’m getting ready to sas. First round I’m doing Jeep axles. 3 link front and 4 link rear 

Sorry, been MIA a while. Got a new job and stuff. Well truck 3 link has started. All ifs has been removed,  and chopped off. Axle is almost fully built (toyota axle, 5.29 gears, locked). Steering box is now Toyota.  Have been battling clearance issues but I think its coming together nicely.  Will be running 37 inch tires and 14 inch travel coilovers.  I dont post much anymore but if you want to see the the journey my Instagram is @MIKESMITH8199.  Will try and keep everyone updated. 

• Like 1