turbo oil drain leaking any idea's ?

Anyone of you guys ever had the oil drain leaking at the turbo. I dunno what the hell is going on! ! have tried everything! its just a standard T3 turbo every gasket I've tried leaks. currentley i am using a copper gasket with high temp silicon and it still freaking leaks. I even went as far as taking my flange to work and having the machine shop surface grind it to assure its perfectly flat. still leaking how much damn pressure is coming outta this thing!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The drain tube is just a tube for the oil to fall down into the sump. If it was blocked, oil pressure would build up on the drain side of the bearing where is shouldn't. Turbo's are infamous for coking oil from the heat. Maybe you have blockage?

News to me.....

I've been importing Japanese turbos for going on 16 years now, and never once had to use a restricter on any of them.

GReddy, HKS, and the big Toyota race series (CT3x size). And I've installed just about every other brand.

I'll continue to use non-restricted oil feed line an any non-BB turbo.

The only time someone runs into problems is when they have too small of outlet, and create enough pressure inside the turbo to push oil out past the shaft seals.

If people are resticting oil in to cover up poorly designed oil drains, they are being silly.....

If they are resticting oil flow because their stock pump isn't up to the job, and they have low pressure due to the oil going to their turbo, they are also being silly.

Right now I am working on a new oil pump overdrive kit to cure such a problem on the MkIII Supras.

People are getting tired of stupid low pressure on these engines.

IMG_0186.jpg

Just get the oil pump from a KA24E in the S13 NOT the later KA24DE. Or any D-21 KA24E or DE pumps. The internal rotors are 13% longer and while the max pressure is the same the pump puts out more volume and lower speeds and this means higher pressure than a stock L series pump at the same RPM. My tired L20B had a hot idle pressure of 17 PSI. With no other change but a KA pump it jumped to 29PSI at hot idle.

I cant use a single cam pump on a DE dual cams are driven right off the crank. Brand new engine i have about 80 psi cold off about 1200 rpm and around 60 psi hot around 1200 rpm. I did buy a restrictor for it with a .065 hole gonna play with that see if it works. I dont think the drain is the problem its. 3/4 id all the way to the pan the only spot that is smaller is the hole in the adaper at the turbo that is 11/16 diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the feed line in this picture! 

8B0F4E9D-76E9-43DB-81D9-DCD481C1452B_zps

BUT, the return scares me. Is the brass fitting going straight into the turbo or is there a plate/flange that it screws into?

FA68F70F-77D1-4D7E-A3FF-C11C86E9B8D5_zps

Being a fresh engine, are the crank case pressures high enough to keep the oil from draining? I wouldn't think so, but.....how does the DE crank vent?

its leaking from behind the bolt that holds the air side flange onto the housing

I'm not clear what you are describing....Is the drain flange leaking or is it coming from the compressor housing (cold side)?

Possible to include any pics of the area?

I think the turbo is cracked somewhere so i bought a nee one.

In all the turbos I've handled, never seen a cartridge crack.

Why can't you post pictures of said turbo, close up, out of the car ?

Can't use silicone on a turbo drain.

Too hot, and not oil resistant enough.

And push-lock hose (the type of hose that bottom brass fitting is for) also can't take the heat.

• Like 1