Run on fumes

Has anyone tried running on fumes? I was just told by a guy that I can convert my truck over to run on fumes. Checked a few videos out online and saw a few people who have done it. Not sure if it really works or not. People are saying they are getting up to over 200mpg.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried running on fumes? I was just told by a guy that I can convert my truck over to run on fumes. Checked a few videos out online and saw a few people who have done it. Not sure if it really works or not. People are saying they are getting up to over 200mpg.

The perfect air to fuel ratio is 15 to one. This is the perfect air/fuel mixture that burns completely with no fuel left over and makes the most energy. This is an absolutely unchangeable fact. While carburetors are fairly close, most of the time,  EFI is even closer to this 'stoichiometric' 15 to 1 ratio. Weather you use suction from the carb to draw fuel in, or high pressure fuel injection (or somehow magically mix air with gas fumes) this 15 to 1 ratio cannot be altered and improved on. This is carved in stone.

Cars to day are more efficient at making use of the energy produced not making more energy.

Cars actually do run on fumes. It's called mixing fuel with air, as in what happens in a carburetor or an intake port with EFI.

Yes, with any stray solids evaporated by engine heat on the way to and in the combustion chamber.

Didn't Smokey design a 'hot vapor engine' ran on boiled gasoline fumes that was mixed with air? This mixture was may too warm and didn't allow cooling of the charge by evaporation, was then turbocharged into an engine. Some incredible claims were passed around at the time. Mostly power. ..... http://Smokey's Hot Vapor Engine

I can believe the mileage results from an engine with 18-22 to one A/F ratios, some direct injection engines run them)but not the insane HP numbers.