My Pole-Barn Find 521

Hello all, new here and I thought I'd share what I know of my Pole-Barn re-find 1971 521.

So the guy I bought it from had it stored in his pole-barn for the last 10 years. His intention was for it to be a father and son project that just never happened. Allegedly he got it in exchange for doing the upholstery on a guy's 60's Corvette. The PO said the Corvette guy had multiple out buildings filled with gems like this Datsun and other treasures. The legend continued that the Corvette guy had brought the Datsun to his MN farm from AZ in the mid 70's and used it as a small utility vehicle on the property to move things between the outbuildings. It never got driven on the salted roads thus it stayed mostly rust free. Supposedly the displayed 43,xxx miles is accurate. Mr. Corvette parked it in his outbuilding some 25 years ago until the PO moved it to his pole barn. I pulled it home with my WA State 1977 survivor Suburban. I got a crazy amount of looks and thumbs up pulling her home. I am going to end her sedentary life! She will be driven!

image_zpslb9scfr7.jpeg

image_zpspgthdc0k.jpeg

image_zpsl0naz8qh.jpeg

image_zpsoz31uetx.jpeg

image_zpskvr1m6x8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The body is solid and I like a patina look so I'm going to see what magic I can work with some wet sanding and buffing. The motor is clean and turns over. I have not had a chance to do any diagnostic checks yet but I am hoping to get away with a top end job, carb work over, exhaust clutch etc.. The brakes are shot so I'm planning on doing a disk brake conversion. Mainly looking to make her roadworthy with a slight drop, 18" Titan wheels. She will be my parts hauler!

You don't wan my opinion. I'm too hip.

I have the same set of rally wheels every other 521 has.

15x8, close to zero off set. 195/65R15 tires. 3 inch blocks. Crank torsion bars.

IMG_20160311_094934038_zps0yu4wwcf.jpg

IMG_20160308_184959974_zpsb1gd67on.jpg

I picked these pics because they show how well that tire combo fits.

Rear inner fender lips bent in to prevent cutting in to the tires.

Oh really????

null_zps182cab2b.jpg

That is sexy bitches, not goofy. :poke:

Owner of that truck is a goofy sumabitch though.

He negates all arguments involving...

Shit. He shouldn't even be able to fit in one of those.

And...how much work had to be done for jdongs truck to sit like that? Exactly.

Granted...it is a great truck...big wheels still look odd on a 521.

• Like 1

Sorry. Not a fan of the huge rim scene. They look like Match Box/Hot wheel cars. Just my opinion. Still... Jester's little Key Lime looks better than a "98" Buick Skylark "city car" with 24" chrome rims (got a lot of that around here). So, YamahaJohnny, what else did this guy have in his barn and where is he located  :angel: ???

Sorry. Not a fan of the huge rim scene. They look like Match Box/Hot wheel cars. Just my opinion. Still... Jester's little Key Lime looks better than a "98" Buick Skylark "city car" with 24" chrome rims (got a lot of that around here). So, YamahaJohnny, what else did this guy have in his barn and where is he located  :angel: ???

Wasn't jester"s 521. Just a well know 521 from a different member, jrock.