720 z22 new clutch and flywheel

Jamielmbrd

I have tried searching for some information on a lightened flywheel for the z22 but only find some info for the z24.

My question is can I use a lightened flywheel and clutch from a z24 on a z22?

I could get the flywheel that I have machined if I knew the specs to give to the shop. But I would rather use a lightweight one than make my flywheel lighter.

I have an 1982 720 z22 with a 5 speed

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 6 bolt L, Z or KA flywheel will fit your Z22. Lightening will also make starting from stops slightly more difficult with more revving and slipping of the clutch. Not so much trouble in a light 510 but more noticeable in a heavy truck.

I have seen  21 and a 29 pound 240mm flywheels.The heavier one is for Z24 engines. The lighter one is probably from a KA .

If you were racing and never stopping I guess this would have an advantage but if daily driven stop and go, more a pain in the neck.

transflywheel_spec.jpg

• Like 1

Racing means many small things that when added up make the difference between a win or a loss. Even the smallest improvement is crucial. The street is a different matter, you have to stop and go constantly and on hills. A lighter flywheel makes a small amount of power available for use for accelerating. Normally this power would be used to spin the extra weight on the flywheel. The flywheel is a storage device and gives an engine more starting power to overcome the vehicle's inertia or reluctance to get moving from a stop. If you can live with this then a lighter flywheel is ok. Keep in mind that it is a trade off.

• Like 1