1973 paint color codes/mixing specs reference

1973 Datsun 610 (made 9/72) has original pale yellow (not golden yellow). I am done with the body work and the primer spraying is almost done. I went to my auto paint guy and there is difficulty finding the early 1973 Datsun station wagon color in an automotive color reference book. He could match the color by eye, but he said he would prefer to find the color specs so if I ever need more paint again it would be better to use a referenced color. Can anyone tell us where to find the color reference specs?

I have been using, and having success with Nason single stage paint. I like the look for an older car. A clear coat doesn't look quite appropriate to me.

I could not be doing this project if it weren't for Ratsun help. Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find an auto paint store that has been in business since 1972, that might be a possibility they have old color chip books.   Look at the color in sunlight, not under the artificial lighting in the paint store.   If you choose a modern mix factory color you line, you can use the paint manufacturers code for that color.  For example 1970 Datsun 521 truck Dragon Green is Datsun code 558, but Dupont code 31025

Yes, there is a metallic sticker, but where the color code was there is now only an area that is completely wiped out, only a few tiny black spots of what I guess was, long ago, the color code. Ironic that all of the sticker is fully legible and there is only an underline where the color code once was. Does anyone out own a early 1973 yellow Datsun? Does anyone know of a paint shop that has been around since 1973? Thanks