How to make a ghetto a/c AKA Ghetto Breeze 600

Cleopatra Jones

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sit on a bag of ice and put another bag on your lap.

And another on the top of my head :)  Didn't get a chance to test today. Got up early to molest a 210 in Rialto and had other errands to run. Going to shoot for tomorrow.

• Like 1

i know you might not want to do this but since you do live in a hot climate why not find a 210 that had AC and retro fit it into your car? 

They haven't been easy to find. So few cars have had a/c and they've been picked apart pretty well. I may have a line on an a/c unit though.

• Like 1

Weather was too nice yesterday to do any testing. Not complaining :) I wish the weather would stay this nice for the rest of the year. Supposed to be hot again this next weekend so I can get back to messing with the Ghetto Breeze 600.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So work on the Ghetto Breeze 600 is going to be halted for a bit. I was going to run some testing last weekend cause the weather was hot enough for it but I had a dang migraine for 3 days and wasn't doing shit. I really need to make some door panels. I expect the next time I open Stanley's door the panel is just going to fall out so I gotta get on that project before getting back to this one. To be continued at a later date.........

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a one of these are while back. Used it in my king cab. Worked great for quite a while. Was making a trip from las vegas to socal. Only problem I had was when the ambient temperature in the cab became the same in thee cooler it was pretty much just moving air around.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Been meaning to update this. Went to Nissan Jam with the Ghetto Breeze 600 last month. Tried a water and ice combo this time. Seemed the same as just ice. I also got one of those window screens so the sun wasn't blasting on me while driving. That helped me out a little. We are currently thinking of a better way of pumping the cold air through the cooler. I may go to JCCS this year so gotta have something figured out before then.

• Like 1

Been meaning to update this. Went to Nissan Jam with the Ghetto Breeze 600 last month. Tried a water and ice combo this time. Seemed the same as just ice. I also got one of those window screens so the sun wasn't blasting on me while driving. That helped me out a little. We are currently thinking of a better way of pumping the cold air through the cooler. I may go to JCCS this year so gotta have something figured out before then.

The "Swamp Cooler" unit like Arizona Hit Man uses on his WRL411 is a very good unit.  The best results are obtained by mounting the cooler in the front passenger side window.  It sits high enough as to not obstruct vision.  Open the driver.s rear window just a bit.  The suction will draw the incoming air through the fiber wet medium and out the rear window.  Just remember to pull on the string every so often so as to rotate the fiber drum and re-wet it!  The pull string just happens to hook on the hook for clothes hangers that almost all Datsuns came from the factory with.  I wish I had kept mine!

• Like 1

I think I just need to be my own engineer and come up with a small a/c compressor so that everyone with old cars can have real air conditioning.

Please do! I'm struggling here in 108* heat today in Atascadero CA!

Driving my wagon to the Eagle Rock meet next weekend (first time traveling that far with her) so I'm using a version of the Ghetto A/C for now. 

Please send prayers!

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I've driven around long distances with my left foot on a bag of ice. Or beside you with my arm on it. Ice cools you not the whole car. Pretty low tech but it works. Every half hour wet your T shirt too, but not the girls that just makes me feel hotter..

• Like 3

I've driven around long distances with my left foot on a bag of ice. Or beside you with my arm on it. Ice cools you not the whole car. Pretty low tech but it works. Every half hour wet your T shirt too, but not the girls that just makes me feel hotter..

If I was still running around with my old ratty interior I would totally do that. Stay cool by whatever means necessary. However, since I just dropped some big coin getting my new upholstery...not gonna happen.

:w00t:

• Like 1

Every half hour wet your T shirt too, but not the girls that just makes me feel hotter..

If I did that it would certainly be a good thing I do the driving or my husband would wreck.

If I was still running around with my old ratty interior I would totally do that. Stay cool by whatever means necessary. However, since I just dropped some big coin getting my new upholstery...not gonna happen.

:w00t:

Same here. Stanley is newly upholstered so none of that. When I drag the Ghetto Breeze 600 with me a giant trash bag gets put in the back seat for it to sit on.

Please do! I'm struggling here in 108* heat today in Atascadero CA!

Driving my wagon to the Eagle Rock meet next weekend (first time traveling that far with her) so I'm using a version of the Ghetto A/C for now. 

Please send prayers!

:thumbup:

Girl hang in there! Put the ghetto a/c next to you in the front. You'll feel more air for sure. I really would like to make a tiny portable a/c compressor. Man that would be amazing! And then my ass could retire cause that would be a money maker!

• Like 2

If I did that it would certainly be a good thing I do the driving or my husband would wreck.

Same here. Stanley is newly upholstered so none of that. When I drag the Ghetto Breeze 600 with me a giant trash bag gets put in the back seat for it to sit on.

Girl hang in there! Put the ghetto a/c next to you in the front. You'll feel more air for sure. I really would like to make a tiny portable a/c compressor. Man that would be amazing! And then my ass could retire cause that would be a money maker!

Thanks for the encouragement Colourbox. You've been a source of inspiration. I've built 3 Ghetto Breeze 600's...each a little bigger than the last just trying to get the best results. I'm about to build The Ghetto Breeze Deluxe... made especially for this Eagle Rock trip. I've got my sights on a 72 quart ice chest on Craigslist I'm trying to get. I'll have towels & trash bags to protect the interior just in case.

Are you coming out to Eagle Rock? I'd like to meet Stanley & check out the new interior.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

I thought about going but probably not. No one ever has 210 parts except that one time a few years back. When I have gone I get there early so I can park inside but I leave after a couple hours so I'm not trapped all day. Meanwhile, I've been chatting with the husband about Canby next year. I'll probably trailer him down there instead of drive him. I get nervous about some fucktard running into him. I would go to jail for murder if someone hit Stanley.

• Like 3

Angela: Post pics of that Ghetto Breeze Deluxe model ,,,, :)

Colourbox: If I have my 521 on the road in time to attend JCCS this fall I will likely build my own knockoff version of your Ghetto Breeze 600 to get me down there in style. I was impressed with yours when I met you at JCCS.

It's too bad we can't find a machinist with nothing better to do than make a mini version of a Sanden 507 ... I've look all over for something that is approx. 4.5" in diameter and not more than 6" long.

I would definitely buy one.

• Like 2