How to make a ghetto a/c AKA Ghetto Breeze 600

Cleopatra Jones

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"How to turn your fan into an Air Conditioner" is a very interesting concept, as it works similar to an AC Unit. But instead of a constantly recharging AC unit cold source, it utilizes icy cold water from the cooler.

The Ghetto Breeze 600 concept forces hot vehicle air into the cooler box of ice, at high speed. The idea is for the air to cool off and come out cold from the scupper fittings. 

The problem is the big fan air is moving too fast entering the box. This doesn't give the air enough contact time with the ice to cool off before exiting the box. The slower the air movement... the more contact time it  has to cool off more before exiting. 

This is the same condition on a vehicle freon AC unit. If you take a thermometer and take the temperature of the air coming right out of a vent at high speed, it will be warmer than the air coming out of the same vent at a slower fan speed. 

If the GB fan speed could be slowed down or put on a resistor from a heater unit to do so, the exiting air would be cooler upon contact to occupants. But it the GB600 may never catch up cooling off the whole interior of the vehicle depending on the amount of cabin space, vehicle insulation, and the length of your drive (ie: 15 min vs. an hour.)

The "How to turn your fan into an Air Conditioner" has actual icy cold water in the tubes in front of and in close proximity to the fan. This is similar to a cold, constantly recharging, AC evaporator unit inside the car with the squirrel cage forcing the cold air out the ducts to blow on the occupants and eventually cooling off the interior of car.

Using the same capacity of icy water ice used in the GB 600, and depending on the fan speed,  I would think the fan blowing from behind the icy copper tubes would blow colder air to the occupants that the Ghetto Breeze 600.  In concept I'd think you could run a fan for driver and another on occupant from the same cooler.  

It would be a great experiment to compare both units in the same vehicle to see which is more effective.  But I'm not confident enough to bet pink slips on either!  I'd lean toward the fan for effectiveness, but if I were voting on popularity... I am a bigger fan of the inventor of the GB 600 B)

I can totally adjust the speed on the fan I've got. It doesn't just switch off and on. Still haven't had time to work on it. The tech half of this operation has had to work Saturdays. Four weeks left until JCCS so we're going to have to get on it.

• 9 months later...

Other ideas for cooling if driving long distance in the heat....

Drive with a bag of ice against your thigh or under your left foot as a heat sink. You may think 'Yeah but it still feels hot' but actually you are very cool and the warm feels good, like standing in cold water on a hot day. Do not have near your kidneys.

Wet your T shirt and have window open. Dribble bottled water on every 10-15 minutes to keep damp. This is like a swamp cooler but less waste.

Other ideas for cooling if driving long distance in the heat....

Drive with a bag of ice against your thigh or under your left foot as a heat sink. You may think 'Yeah but it still feels hot' but actually you are very cool and the warm feels good, like standing in cold water on a hot day. Do not have near your kidneys.

Wet your T shirt and have window open. Dribble bottled water on every 10-15 minutes to keep damp. This is like a swamp cooler but less waste.

Sounds like you're sneaking in wet t-shirt context. Yes, I said context. My husband will dig it ;) 

So this is a no go?

vhruiYG.jpg

• Like 1

If it's humid outside... don't try and utilize swamp cooler technology. It only makes it worse.

Living on the coast where humidity is always high, the hardware stores don't even sell swamp coolers till you get 30+ miles inland.  

But in Riverside where I grew up it is a desert... swamp coolers are king!

• 1 month later...

In Sac we have been in the 100's for a few weeks now, ~40% humdidity :)

Best $280 ever spent, draws only 2.2amps, so it could be mobile in a van, too big for a wagon unless you get a shorter mobile unit, there are larger units too, but this works great in a 1500sq/ft house!

Arizona KoolKube AZ39MB Mobile Evaporative Cooler