How to make a ghetto a/c AKA Ghetto Breeze 600

Cleopatra Jones

I plan to build one of these. I think I will fill 2 one gallon milk jugs with water and freeze them. Then use those so they can be reused. I think the block ice will last longer.

A 4" fan is small for such a large cooler. I think I'm going to use a 6" fan.

I plan to use this next year when I go across country.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6" fan would move too much air I think. Especially with frozen jugs. Your air would be very slightly cool. Essentially as Lock said, surface area is critical for cooling potential. Airflow will only do so much with a set surface area. Larger airflow will mix too much warm air with chilled air. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is, but I know you need to keep the water drained.

One of the vids I watched did a test on a bucket vs a cooler and the cooler had colder air compared to the bucket.

Got the 6" fan on. Blows about 3 mph faster and nearly double on the CFM. Going to test it with ice tomorrow. Got stuff to take care of tonight. But so far there's some good air coming out of the PVC.

24KN0f7.jpg

• Like 1

Ended up working late yesterday so didn't get a chance to test it. Couldn't today cause I was getting Stanley cleaned up for JCCS. It was getting late and grandma needs sleep so it will be a trial by fire tomorrow. Literally by fire. It's supposed to be 89 degrees tomorrow. Oh boy.

• Like 1

So we're here. We tried it on the way out to JCCS. It's blowing some nice air. The ride home will be the true test. We'll most likely stop some place to get more ice before heading home. I imagine the ice will be half gone by the time we can leave.

UcKc6OT.jpg

• Like 4

So here's the verdict. Noticed a bit of a difference right away. Probably 20 minutes into the drive you could feel more of a difference. It was ok and made it a bit more comfortable. Problem was I was driving North and had the sun burning my torso from the West. Need to help block that so there's not so much sun blasting through the glass. I think getting one of those window screens will help. Next time I take him out I want to see what it's like if I put the Ghetto Breeze 600 in the front seat. I had it in the back seat today. I also want to try a large block of ice in the cooler. This is the ice we put in it:

L9unuHF.jpg

• Like 2

I think the heater core idea would put out significant cool air. It's a bit more work.. but pumping ice water through it would allow for cold air from the ice and cold air from the water below too!

Congrats on the award!! So cool.

• Like 3

I saw Stanley today at the JCCS.  You have done a magnificent restoration!  Missed seeing you, my wife is wheelchair bound and required my full attention.  She lasted until the 3PM dismissal so no major problems,. except trundling her into the men's bathroom,  "Close your eyes, female coming through" did the trick,  the women's was too full and I have heard rumors that it is better than the Ladies rooms at LAX, which are really gross!  As usual. my RL411 attracted major spectator photo interest and no award interest.  It's a driver, not a show car.  I was the only 411 at the show!  I managed to give away a central console floor mat for the 411 with 3 on the floor to a restorer and a 510 automatic transmission gasket and filter set to a 510 owner.  I didn't need them and was happy to pass them on to deserving owners.  See you next year?

• Like 3

I think the heater core idea would put out significant cool air. It's a bit more work.. but pumping ice water through it would allow for cold air from the ice and cold air from the water below too!

Congrats on the award!! So cool.

The experiment isn't over. We'll be trying new things.

I enjoyed meeting both you and your husband today at the show. I found your Ghetto Breeze 600 relaxing under palm tree near Stanley and popped a couple of pics, just because:)  Stanley is a handsome ride, and now he's "certified awesome!"

Good meeting you too!

I saw Stanley today at the JCCS.  You have done a magnificent restoration!  Missed seeing you, my wife is wheelchair bound and required my full attention.  She lasted until the 3PM dismissal so no major problems,. except trundling her into the men's bathroom,  "Close your eyes, female coming through" did the trick,  the women's was too full and I have heard rumors that it is better than the Ladies rooms at LAX, which are really gross!  As usual. my RL411 attracted major spectator photo interest and no award interest.  It's a driver, not a show car.  I was the only 411 at the show!  I managed to give away a central console floor mat for the 411 with 3 on the floor to a restorer and a 510 automatic transmission gasket and filter set to a 510 owner.  I didn't need them and was happy to pass them on to deserving owners.  See you next year?

Sorry we missed you. We were with Stanley probably til about 1 and then we walked around to check out the other cars. Probably walked by each other at some point. I hope you're wife enjoyed the show. LAX bathrooms aren't so bad. Or at least they haven't been whenever I've flown out. The bathrooms at JCCS weren't so bad. I was happy they had regular bathrooms and not just the porta potties. I hate those. Not sure if I'm going next year. This was my first time ever at JCCS and I was hesitant about it. Long day and a semi long drive but I actually did enjoy the show (not just cause Stanley won) so I may decide on going next year.

Thanks everyone for the congrats. Honestly I never expected anything. Stanley always gets overlooked cause he's the less popular Datsun model but he's always been a winner to me. When they called 3rd and 2nd place I figured oh well not a winner this time. Even when he announced 1981 210 I was looking around like who's that. Haha! It's just nice that a lot of the spectators appreciated the work I put into Stanley and some people were even taking pics with him. The judges loved him because I kept the stock look. That was nice.

My husband and I will be researching other cooling options and see what's out there. He's also thinking of looking into making an a/c compressor we can run. This thread isn't over. I still want to do some other testing with the Ghetto Breeze 600 so I'll update in a few days.

• Like 4