Droski

520 hesitates / fuel issue?

hello

i have a 1966 520 , it recently started hesitating/ jerking

like its not getting enough gas. it will jerk at low and high speeds

i already replaced the fuel filters

has anyone had similar issues?

• Like 1

Does the 520 have a carb with a sight glass? If so what is the level? You can also be running lean? What is the color of your spark plugs? Is your rpm steady at idle?

• Like 2

Spark or fuel.

Fuel

Next time it's acting up get the clutch in and the key off ASAP and carefully pull over. Check the window on the front of the carb. If full of gas it at least getting it delivered. For now, assume that it's not the gas

Spark

Check the points. Are they worn or burnt, pitted? File them or replace and set the gap 0.018-0.022". Look for loose connections on the wires to them and on the coil and ballast resistor. Now inspect the distributor cap inside for dampness. Look for wear or corrosion on the terminals inside. Inspect the rotor while the cap is off. Now look at the plug wires and last the spark plugs. If in doubt replace them with new ones. Electricity will ALWAYS look for the easiest path to ground. So you want a well insulated ignition system where the easiest path to ground is through the spark plug! If replacing the plugs use only NGK brand.

This will solve most running problems, if not, we'll look deeper into the carburetor.

• Like 2

Has the truck just come out of a long slumber? Or do you use it regularly?

Could be a fouled distributor cap or bad wires. Does it backfire?

• Like 1

im starting to lean towards the carb on this issue

fuel is getting delivered and the ignition system looks to be okay

Ignition is easy... got spark or not. Assume you saw sparks?

OK then, this is all good information and points toward the cause. Fuel to the carburetor and spark to the plugs. It would appear that the carb is not properly mixing the fuel with the air.

Could be  the primary jet is part plugged, sediment or water.

Could be running too lean. Have you tried adjusting your idle jet?

• Like 1

The Nikki is a good carb for the anemic J13 engine. If you buy a used carb from someone you do not know for certain it is in good condition.

Send your Nikki to royze.com for a rebuild.

Keith

Idle mixture adjusts.... idle. Anything above idle is the slow speed circuit and the primary.

Okay I think I figured out why it's hesitating when I'm giving it some throttle. Gas is leaking IMAG0541_zpsxxuquiwd.jpg

Most likely.. yeah.

The Weber haha I know. This Nikki was working great so I'll just stick with it. I'm still running the 4 speed. It's cruiser.

Does anybody know if this the standard Nikki carb that came with the 66 or is it a slightly newer carb. This one has no electrical parts

First electric choke was '72 521. Not sure when the first idle cut solenoid was but after that. There was nothing electrical on the early 520s.

What do you mean hesitates? Describe what happens.

The truck jerks and loses power Like it wants to go but it hesitates then goes. The engine never shuts off. The gas in the carb leaks when pumping the gas peddle I found that out today without having the engine on. 4 pumps and it begins to leak.