280z Frame swap/replacement

Hey all, It's been quite a while since I've posted. I've still been looking for a Datsun, and this particular Z came up on my radar. It's a hell of a deal, but I don't necessarily feel comfortable with the frame issues. I found this website, and was wondering if anyone has had dealings with this guy. I apologize if there is already a thread about this site, but I tried to search for one and came up with nothing. Oics, link, and info on the 280:

http://www.datsunzparts.com/index.html

Post Description:

I have a stripped down 1977 Datsun 280z that I bought as a restoration project but have reached a point where I don't want to invest the time and money to restore it as there are a number of issues that I'm not comfortable with.

The car has been through repairs at least one time in its life. There seems to have been driver's side impact damage to the front and rear ends. The rear end appears to have been professionally repaired and the front end suffered unibody damage that was pulled/repaired as well.

There were also some more 'amateur' repairs done to the framerails, including patching over and in some cases what appears to be an attempt at hiding damage/rust. Additionally, much of the lower portions of the car have been repaired with body filler.

The floors also were covered in tar/resin to fill them in from the bottom and top.

All-in-all, it's in rough shape but I've seen some Z restoration projects in worse shape. This just goes beyond what I personally want to deal with.

That said, I'm looking for $250 to take the rolling frame, doors, hood, and any other metal scrap away. If anyone is interested in the car as a project, they can have the interior, glass and anything else I have as well. I do have the title and the title is clean.

00606_DZQsu8jRmb_600x450.jpg

00q0q_5iYE74wNF2O_600x450.jpg

00X0X_bSpAYzXl5Pe_600x450.jpg

00202_5OeBqGsKFSg_600x450.jpg

00D0D_lnwzVxtk6iB_600x450.jpg

00J0J_9Y6C6z0drQW_600x450.jpg

00P0P_3RYddNDVzOq_600x450.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z cars don't have frames.  They're unibody.  Sure, you can find multiple shells and hope one doesn't have rust where others do, but to fix it right will involve a lot of welding.

:blush: Rather embarrassed that I had forgotten that. I need to learn how to weld, and I think it might be worth it if I can save a Z. I have some friends that know how to weld that can help guide me so I don't totally butcher it.