521 KA24 Motor Mounts

]2eDeYe

I have been working on this for a while now with the help of Jonah and his dad. They had a 521 and a KA24DE that needed a home. 

We started out trying to fit it with a 240sx transmission, but we found that you would have to cut the floor and maybe the torsion bar adjusting bolts to get it to fit. Thankfully they also happened to have  a 720 transmission and that makes it a complete bolt in affair.  

I still need to work up the rear mount as it will also need to be fabricated but I thought I would share the progress now that we are seeing results. :)

The victim 

IMG_4485_zpsqaz90ilh.jpg

Trying to fit the fatboy 240 trans. 

Hitting the floor...

IMG_4470_zpsiox6fvnl.jpg

..and the torsion spring adjuster on the passenger side. 

IMG_4469_zpsyxihwxhi.jpg

240sx vs 720

IMG_4472_zpsfraj9bfl.jpg

Much better fit. 

IMG_4480_zpslvpwpgmq.jpg

Drivers side mount. 

IMG_4473_zps196cvahm.jpg

Passenger side mount.

IMG_4475_zpswuqw9uow.jpg

Fit's in there nice and neat.

IMG_4476_zps7suqhssi.jpg

IMG_4477_zpsydkzprbb.jpg

Hood closed, hood is pretty beat though so it would be nice to check with a good hood. 

IMG_4484_zpslgmsvsn2.jpg

Exhaust possibilities

IMG_4478_zpseb62hr6u.jpg

Where the custom mount needs to be located in the rear. 

IMG_4481_zpsmd8ifku5.jpg

Will be working up the rear mount this week if I get time. :)

• Like 2
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be a dumb question, but is that a 240sx front sump or D22 rear sump KADE?

I've never messed with anything older than 720, so I have no idea if the older trucks are front sump from the factory.

Must add, that is some great work on the mounts and fit up.

• Like 1

It's a 240sx front sump motor.

The 521 is much better suited to this swap than the 620. The 620 is a very tight fit in the engine bay.  

Thanks, it's taking a bit of time to get things done without having a truck to do the swap at my house. Jonah and his dad have been super helpful though. :)

• Like 1

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the 26" would fall almost dead nuts in the factory position. Not that it would have a speedometer pinion, which sucks.

Very nice work Redeye.

• Like 2

No. I was saying crap because now I want to pull the trigger on a KA.

Damn you, Steve.

Glad I can help out. :D

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the 26" would fall almost dead nuts in the factory position. Not that it would have a speedometer pinion, which sucks.

Very nice work Redeye.

It would probably fit really well in the truck. I'll get measurements so I can offer it as an option. :)

• Like 2

Very nice work Redeye.

Long bed 720s have 31" trans.

2wd trannies have speedo in tail housing.

That 2wd tail housing can be swapped on to the 4wd trans.

• Like 1

Long bed 720s have 31" trans.

2wd trannies have speedo in tail housing.

That 2wd tail housing can be swapped on to the 4wd trans.

Something i hadn't considered. Good to know.

• Like 1

The 620 mounts are 3/4" shorter vertically than the 240sx mounts. 

The 521 mounts are 3/8" taller vertically than the 240sx mounts.

I'll get a side by side picture tonight. 

Both of my mount sets use 620 L20B isolators. 

Another thing I hope to be working on soon is SR mounts for both trucks. I have someone sending me stock SR mounts and willing to test fit them in his 521. :)

• Like 2

I have been working on this for a while now with the help of Jonah and his dad. They had a 521 and a KA24DE that needed a home. 

We started out trying to fit it with a 240sx transmission, but we found that you would have to cut the floor and maybe the torsion bar adjusting bolts to get it to fit. Thankfully they also happened to have  a 720 transmission and that makes it a complete bolt in affair.  

I still need to work up the rear mount as it will also need to be fabricated but I thought I would share the progress now that we are seeing results. :)

Where the custom mount needs to be located in the rear. 

IMG_4481_zpsmd8ifku5.jpg

Will be working up the rear mount this week if I get time. :)

IMG_0502_zps829e16ea.jpg

IMG_0550_zps66720dd6.jpg

521%20Transmission%20Mount%20Bracket%20M

The mount I have pictured is the early 521 transmission rubber mount and the cross member mounting bracket.  Be sure to use all 4 transmission mount  bracket mounting holes on the cross member.

I would change the transmission mount to the newer type and build the rear mount to fit.  This is Anchor Part # 2742 or DEA Part# A2742

The reason I suggest this mount is it will fit 4 speeds, 5 speeds and automatics.

Fits this range of trucks.

NISSAN 521 PICKUP        1972

NISSAN 620 PICKUP        1972-1979

NISSAN 720 PICKUP        1980-1986

The Anchor and DEA mounts are from 72 to 86.  I know the 620 used this mount but have not seen it used stock on a 521

2742.jpg

• Like 1

2eDeYe" post="1414106" timestamp="1472494139"]

The 620 mounts are 3/4" shorter vertically than the 240sx mounts. 

The 521 mounts are 3/8" taller vertically than the 240sx mounts.

I'll get a side by side picture tonight. 

Both of my mount sets use 620 L20B isolators. 

Another thing I hope to be working on soon is SR mounts for both trucks. I have someone sending me stock SR mounts and willing to test fit them in his 521. :)

Reading back through and realized I never took comparison pics. 

Here are the KA mounts 

Passenger side stock 240sx, 620, 521 - Driver stock 240sx, 620, 521 

IMG_4580_zpsedzblzyp.jpg

IMG_4584_zps8lkaebka.jpg

IMG_4583_zps6caotq9v.jpg

IMG_4580_zpsedzblzyp.jpg

Passenger side stock 240sx, 620, 521

IMG_4582_zpswma73jxb.jpg

Driver stock 240sx, 620, 521 

IMG_4581_zpsnwj7umlo.jpg

IMG_0502_zps829e16ea.jpg[/url]

The mount I have pictured is the early 521 transmission rubber mount and the cross member mounting bracket.  Be sure to use all 4 transmission mount  bracket mounting holes on the cross member.

I would change the transmission mount to the newer type and build the rear mount to fit.  This is Anchor Part # 2742 or DEA Part# A2742

The reason I suggest this mount is it will fit 4 speeds, 5 speeds and automatics.

Fits this range of trucks.

NISSAN 521 PICKUP        1972

NISSAN 620 PICKUP        1972-1979

NISSAN 720 PICKUP        1980-1986

The Anchor and DEA mounts are from 72 to 86.  I know the 620 used this mount but have not seen it used stock on a 521

2742.jpg

You have just have a 5-speed swapped in?

Can you take some measurements for me? I'd like to see if my mount would work for just a 5-speed swap behind the stock L series. :)

• Like 2

Redeye I was using this mount on my 520 chassis with the 3 speed automatic behind my L20B.

I am using the same mount in the 1980 720 chassis with the 3 speed automatic.  I have in the past used this mount with 521 L motors with the long 5 speeds.  The only ones I have are installed in in my trucks.  I will get a hold of Robit and see if he has 1 loose for measuring.  Around $10 at Rock Auto.

Dimensions (HxLxW): 5.215"x 7.001"x6.358"

EM-2742.jpg

• Like 2

I have one of those mounts, it's what we are using in this 521 and will be the mount required for the swap to be bolt in. :) 

I was actually hoping for an installed measurement from the cross member vertical mount face to the center line of the bottom holes and possibly the angle difference between the cross member vertical mount face and the bottom of the isolator mount face. 

With the KA I got 3-5/8" to from the cross member face to the center of the mount hole and 95 deg from the face to the mount. 

• Like 1