1956 Chevrolet 210 9 Passenger Wagon

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part is that it will now roll when I push it. :lol:

Your doing a hell of a job saving the old Chebby, good on you. Make your mom proud!!!

I believe that is exactly how Rainer beer was made.

Hate on Rainer, well if you ever come over to my place your only going to get an Olympia then. Thats if you drink?

• Like 1

Both are still much better than pbr....

We made cases of PBR disappear in the early 70's when I was a cook in the US Army in SC. Cost 90 cents a six-pack at the commissary. I have made beer for over 30 years and we even owned and operated a micro for a couple years 98-99. I'll drink at least one of any beer now-a-days except Coors or Bud Light (no offense, anyone, just taste like fizzy water). Don't really have a favorite. For me that's kinda like saying only blonds are knockout. 

We don't call it PBR. It's 'Grand Torino' beer in our lingo.

It's what Clint drank throughout the movie and we mix it into the fridge stock off & on.

Steve

When I was 19 I inherited my dad's 5 year old '64 Dodge. It was a slant six 225. Dodge did have a marine engine option with 4 bbl and intake with split exhaust and cam. I made my own two barrel intake adapter and added a 318 carb. Split the exhaust and ran duals. Made good low and mid range power and equaled a friend's 283 up to 90.

• Like 2

When I was 19 I inherited my dad's 5 year old '64 Dodge. It was a slant six 225. Dodge did have a marine engine option with 4 bbl and intake with split exhaust and cam. I made my own two barrel intake adapter and added a 318 carb. Split the exhaust and ran duals. Made good low and mid range power and equaled a friend's 283 up to 90.

"Made good low and mid range power and equaled a friend's 283 up to 90."

I'd bet it made real purty noises too !!!!

Love that straight-six snarl.

Steve

This is what I'm thinking of in the long run

5601409_L.jpg

1312_pd360351_1.jpg

Not sure if the stock carbs bolt up to that intake, but I've got 2 of them. Just need one more. 

Like Mike's slant six, that'll make real purty noises and run like a turpentined cat. 

Everyone has or had a small-block; including me. If I ever ended up with another 55-57, I'd prefer the 235 with goodies like you're looking at. Had a sh1t load of 55-57 Chevys from 1965-1990. Had a four-door 210 with six and rounded up the same Offy three-carb intake you picture and a Tattersfield two-carby one; and a set of junky headers. Never got around to installing any of it. Got drunker than a skunk one Friday night in 1969 and rolled it. Traded the remains for a basket-case Mustang Pony cycle and bought a 1966 Plynouth Satellite. Crashed it too and bought a 1962 Ford Falcon two door. Wish I had just half of the neat ol' cars that I've been through.

You've got a real neat project going on there.

Steve

• Like 2

Some plumbing, these things were no where near the nightmare to install that I thought they would be. The long line to the back looks even easier. :cool:

IMG_7538_zpskgrh2sdj.jpg

All done for now. The rear will get done hopefully the weekend after next. 

IMG_7540_zpsrz2yw8to.jpg

Thanks for the help Nuff. :cool:

Where'd you get your brakes? I'm looking to do the same thing on my dad's '56 in the spring and have been looking around some for a good kit. I may get drop spindles as well but I haven't decided yet.

This is the kit I bought. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351778834791?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you don't want to go ebay, it is the same exact kit that is sold through Summit racing called the right stuff detailing kit. They didn't have any in stock when I was ready to purchase. I also purchased a hard line kit, you should be able to get that through Summit as well, but I did not see it on their site. This was the only kit I could find that doesn't change the offset and uses 11" rotors front and rear. It is a nice kit comes with everything but brake fluid and bearing grease. The Ebay seller I went through answered all of the questions I had before purchase. :)

If cuttuing the springs on my 411 goes well I may just do the same to the chevy, they have pretty much the same suspension.

"Made good low and mid range power and equaled a friend's 283 up to 90."

I'd bet it made real purty noises too !!!!

Love that straight-six snarl.

Steve

Wouldn't go over 90, don't know why. (19 what you expect?) Ran siamese pipes with Walker Continentals (basically Cherry Bombs) sounded like hell. No choke so ran like shit in winter till warmed up. Used a bicycle hand brake cable for the throttle cable. Next car was a new '70 Dart 340 four gear. I shake my head as to the reason I am here today writing this.

One of my first bosses had a '55 or '56 Chevy Blue Flame six when he was my age. He had dual one barrels on it and it would eat V8s. The six had tons of torque but under carbed with a single small one barrel.

• Like 2

Wouldn't go over 90, don't know why. (19 what you expect?) Ran siamese pipes with Walker Continentals (basically Cherry Bombs) sounded like hell. No choke so ran like shit in winter till warmed up. Used a bicycle hand brake cable for the throttle cable. Next car was a new '70 Dart 340 four gear. I shake my head as to the reason I am here today writing this.

One of my first bosses had a '55 or '56 Chevy Blue Flame six when he was my age. He had dual one barrels on it and it would eat V8s. The six had tons of torque but under carbed with a single small one barrel.

One of my best memories of this car was doing over 100 on the freeway. We were moving west from Memphis and were flat towing towing a Dodge Colt. My dad wanted me to appreciate the 6 and was showing me what it would do. :lol: 

Nothing wrong with that, and all there beers are good! If you ever need somebody looking over your shoulder and giving bad advice call me!

Maybe we could meet up at the brewery sometime? In fact they do have a rather large parking lot across the street. Would be a good spot for a meet.  :) 

Steve I had a '55 chev Blue Flame six around '72?. Got it stuck for the night and went back with buddies in two cars (ford v8s) to get it. I let a friend drive the chev because the car I had wasn't mine. Me and the other guy followed the chev home and... yeah the chev and the other Ford got into a race and I couldn't keep up. Both our Fords has 352s (biggest boat anchor ever made) mine a '65 LTD but the other guy has a 4barrel and duals. When I got home the other guy said he gave up at 110 and let the chev go. Garth , the chev driver said the speedo will hit 120. I was mad as hell but also pleased to know this... I never drove that chev over 70 the whole time I owned it. It was a $100 winter car that looked like it was painted with a corn broom, reliable as fuck starting, don't remember ever adding oil to it the 8 months I had it and gave 28MPG.

• Like 1

Yep, the sixes would pretty much keep up with the two-barrel 265 V8's. I recall riding with a friend tooling along in his mom's Harvest Gold/India Ivory four door Bel-Aire with original V8. Hooked up with a Blue/White 56 two-door 210 and leapfrogged for about five miles at 95-105mph. Started at about 70-75 and kept escalating 5-10mph per position change. Running along at around 100 both Chevys blew the motors and coasted to the roadside about 30 feet apart. First thing out of the cars, both hoods were up and we walked over and looked under the 56 hood. Damn, it was a Blue Flame six. Chevy got a lot of years out of the OHV sixes when Ford was peddlin' flatty V8's and Mopar had the flatty sixes in the low-priced-three.

The good ol' days.

Steve

• Like 1