1956 Chevrolet 210 9 Passenger Wagon

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'Blue Flame Six' was 235 cu.in. 

The previous splash oiler - babbit bearing (I also believe) engine was 216 cu.in.

I believe that GMC had a 261 six cyl. that was used in larger trucks. Don't know if Chevy used the 261 in their trucks. 

If my dad was still around he could tell us. He was a Chevy dealer mechanic 1952-1960 at several dealers in eastern Oklahoma and for six months or so in Livermore CA.

We moved to Hayward in 1956 from OK in an early 50's GMC pickup with a tube frame canvas covered camper. My dad built the camper frame and made the cover on his ancient Singer upholstery machine. Wish I had a photo of that pickup. 

We only lasted a year in California. Moved back to OK and dad put an Olds 'Rocket' V8 in the GMC. 

I got an excuse. I inherited the 'Car Crazies'

Steve

• Like 1

For me the pinnacle engine I always wanted to build for one of the 55-57 cars was the 53-54 Corvette 'Blue Flame Six' with the three Carter side-draft carbs. I always kept my eyes open for one of these induction systems and never came across one. Best I did was a Rochester fuel injection unit off a 58 Vette that my dad rebuilt and we put on my first car. a 55 4-door 210 sedan. Kicked my own arse many times for not holding on to that F.I. unit. Here's the Vette 'Blue Flame Six':

Maybe we're a bit out of line; hijackin'   ]2eDeYe's thread like this ??  

Apologies.

Steve

Chevy%20Blue%20Flame%20Six_zpszc4apndr.j

• Like 1

For me the pinnacle engine I always wanted to build for one of the 55-57 cars was the 53-54 Corvette 'Blue Flame Six' with the three Carter side-draft carbs. I always kept my eyes open for one of these induction systems and never came across one. Best I did was a Rochester fuel injection unit off a 58 Vette that my dad rebuilt and we put on my first car. a 55 4-door 210 sedan. Kicked my own arse many times for not holding on to that F.I. unit. Here's the Vette 'Blue Flame Six':

Maybe we're a bit out of line; hijackin'   ]2eDeYe's thread like this ??  

Apologies.

Steve

Chevy%20Blue%20Flame%20Six_zpszc4apndr.j

Yeah sorry Steve. Nostalgic six cylinder moment. 

I'm sure he doesn't mind, it happens with all of his threads.

I don't mind at all, quite the opposite.  :)

That side draft setup is perfect.   :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah the snow meant no work.. It's gone now though. Two weeks ago I was able to get up there and start on the rear brakes. 

Resurrected Camp Chevy

IMG_8253_zpsk6dikafd.jpg

Got the rear up on jack stands. 

IMG_8246_zpsvannnzha.jpg

IMG_8249_zps9bpqifso.jpg

IMG_8250_zpsguhn2yho.jpg

IMG_8251_zpsqug1n6io.jpg

Got the shafts out and discovered they would need a bit of machining to get the rotors to fit.

So I got the bearings pressed off at Napa because my press is not big enough. To try to save time I decided to pound out the studs in the parking lot. I got one out, broke my finger on the second one and then went home and pressed the rest out. :lol: 

Dropped the axles off at the machine shop the next day....

Initial 

IMG_8347_zpsxmv0hmxv.jpg

Couple days later

IMG_8313_zpsiyjqj5f0.jpg

Couple days after that. 

IMG_8347_zpsxmv0hmxv.jpg

• Like 1

Then I picked up the shafts form the machine shop and got everything pressed back together. 

Headed back up yesterday and got some work done. Thanks again for the help Nuff. :)

IMG_8655_zpsfv0nmim2.jpg

IMG_8656_zps3emah2am.jpg

IMG_8657_zpstt2rn4ct.jpg

IMG_8659_zpsaw82ecug.jpg

IMG_8660_zpsszglf0bx.jpg

IMG_8661_zpsd16mjrsn.jpg

IMG_8663_zpsc4z5fdjt.jpg

Got the front up so we could bleed the system. 

IMG_8665_zpsnbsz7ru5.jpg

IMG_8666_zpsjapzgbio.jpg

Might be a leak somewhere. Letting things settle and will be back next weekend, hopefully will get to drive it to it's new dry storage. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually the rust isn't as bad as it looks after crawling around the car, mostly surface rust. Some time with some naval jelly and a pressure washer and I'm sure it will look a lot better

The tailgate is the worst and I can get replacement panels for just about every part of this car. The only parts that are unobtanium are the gas tank, the rear bumper and the 3rd row seat, which are all in pretty decent shape. 

The car was stored indoors for a long time and only about 10 under a tarp, should be back in dry storage this Monday if all goes well. 

Test fit the new wheels and tires. A buddy at work said they were taking up room in his garage and sold them to me cheap. Only 2 drag strip runs on them. :cool:

IMG_8927_zpsuwgkxdxs.jpg

• Like 3

Had the day off for Presidents day so Nuff and me headed back up to Sedro to do a bit more work. Sorted out the push rod length for the master cylinder, re-bled the brakes and got the wheels mounted correctly. I need longer lines for the oil filter and a fitting for the intake to run the power booster. I am going to pick up some new steering links so it can be aligned and then I should be able to drive it just about anywhere. I did get to drive it out onto the street to get it turned around. :)

New seat cover. 

IMG_8978_zpstogwxge2.jpg

CJ approves. 

IMG_8980_zpsxtc2fxom.jpg

IMG_8981_zpsarhba93k.jpg

IMG_8982_zpsufxoupca.jpg

IMG_8983_zpsctou99ix.jpg

IMG_8984_zpslqkwxtas.jpg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Got to drive it over the weekend. I took it from my moms place where it has been sitting the last 10 or more years and stuck it into a garage about 10 minutes away. It drove really well, I almost decided to drive it all the way to my place, but Shonuff talked me into replacing all the fluids before driving it any distance. I know he got some video at various times during the revival of this thing, maybe he will post them up eventually. :lol:

Out of my moms driveway, drove it around the block to see if it would do the drive to the new spot. 

IMG_9221_zpsauxvowut.jpg

Over at Hobos, just before being put inside out of the elements. 

IMG_9225_zpsh2kaegwh.jpg

• Like 3