1956 Chevrolet 210 9 Passenger Wagon

Meet Betsey, she has been in my family since I was a kid. She's probably the main reason I am mechanically inclined and dislike multicolored vehicles. :lol:

I'm finally getting her onto my project que and am blown away that almost every part and every upgrade can be purchased as a bolt on kit. Nothing like my 620s :rofl:

She's a 1956 Chevrolet 210 9 Passenger Wagon. It's two cars really, I remember both trips to get each one. The white one was in someones back yard and the blue one was sitting under a tree next to the po's house. The blue one was actually an Air Force car and the white one was rusty in the rockers and the fenders, my dad combined them in our carport when I was probably about 8 or 9 yrs old. I hung out in that car a lot during that time. 

My mom and dad got divorced some time back. He left the car and never came back. We sold the house she was living in so the car got packed with all it's parts and put into a storage unit. Once she got her place in Sedro it got parked next to the house where it sat for a few more years. Last registered in 2000. 

Anyways, got her pulled out and into the driveway. Plan is to clean it up and see if I can get it running driving and stopping. I have some $ to throw at it for performance things (disc brakes, maybe a drive train and suspension upgrade) and it will probably get rattle canned to get it looking decent enough and throw the stainless back on and cruise it around. :D

Back in the hole, it was a pain in the ass to tinker with back there, but I did get a re-manufactured carb installed last year. The starter was dead, so I got the spare that was in it rebuilt. I'll install that after I get it cleaned up and at least the front seat properly covered so I don't feel like tetanus is attacking me when I try to start it. 

IMG_4320_zpsppkxnw2t.jpg

Drug out. The drivers front brake is stuck, if they look poopy at all I am just going to throw at 4 wheel disc brake kit at it, found one that replaces all the hard lines and comes with 2" drop spindles as well. :cool:

IMG_4321_zpsj86gxffc.jpg

Drug back up towards the house and in the driveway. Had to put the 4runner in 4 low to drag it out. :lol:

IMG_4335_zpsasbrqphn.jpg

IMG_4340_zpsq1apos7h.jpg

IMG_4339_zps5nxfqfp4.jpg

IMG_4337_zpshoqkjqki.jpg

IMG_4332_zpslqgxrz4y.jpg

IMG_4327_zpsirqdhzcu.jpg

IMG_4341_zpshhlv1xop.jpg

Under the hood need some attention for sure, but it drove into the hole. Ran when parked :rofl:

IMG_4322_zps4zlms4yh.jpg

IMG_4324_zpsrhc8mazw.jpg

Dash isn't to bad although it's a little crooked. My dad swapped out the original holey dash from all the widgets the Air Force installed in it.

IMG_4342_zpsnb7pkgrb.jpg

Roof has some surface rust but at least I don't have to deal with the tar paper deadener. :lol:

IMG_4343_zpslefpupmm.jpg

2 cars worth of stainless trim. Hopefully I can sell off what I don't need to buy more parts. 

IMG_4346_zpsmtdhbba6.jpg

Some more spare bits in the back. 

IMG_4347_zpsxfrzjmm9.jpg

The doors need some attention. That will be the first project, getting them open and functioning again. Then I can start cleaning and inventory. I'll be picking up on of those canvas garages from Costco next payday to keep the elements off while I get it drivable. 

• Like 10
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad's first car was a '51 Chev. Came close to being a moderator on a Chevy forum but twist of fate made me a Dodge Boy. (I thought I would get it when I was 15 but he sold it to the neighbor)  Ten years later I had a '55 with the 'Blue Flame' six. I crunched the fender and the only one I could find was a fiberglass '56! like yours. It... fit... sort of. Two years later I had a sweet 283 '57. That wagon sure bring back memories. I guess with 4 doors, it isn't a Nomad.

• Like 2

This was '56 the PCV valve was another 6 years away. Engine fumes were just dumped on the highway. Look between the #1 and #2 plug wires. See what look like a small tin can sticking out? Well there's a metal tube on it going down beside the oil pan and it just drips out on the ground. I believe the PCV was one of the first if not THE first anti pollution devices. Yet it's greatest contribution is making the engine last longer. This engine design is only about two years old and while it has an oil pump it's earlier sister had none! No oil pump.

IMG_4324_zpsrhc8mazw.jpg

• Like 3

My dad's first car was a '51 Chev. Came close to being a moderator on a Chevy forum but twist of fate made me a Dodge Boy. (I thought I would get it when I was 15 but he sold it to the neighbor)  Ten years later I had a '55 with the 'Blue Flame' six. I crunched the fender and the only one I could find was a fiberglass '56! like yours. It... fit... sort of. Two years later I had a sweet 283 '57. That wagon sure bring back memories. I guess with 4 doors, it isn't a Nomad.

Yep, 235 Blue Flame 6. I also have a 1956 265 V8, a late 60's Vette 327 in storage as options. It was also brought to my attention that my buddy has a rebuilt 396 that he won't be using in his 68 Camaro that might be an option as well. This thing should run though, thankfully it was parked before ethanol so the fuel lines might even be clear. 

Not a nomad, it's the rarer 9 passenger wagon. The 3rd row seat is tucked under all that stainless. 

So jealous of people who have one of their dad's cars...       ^_^

It's one of the good things I remember from time spent with my dad. He got a new family, we got the old car. :lol: 

such a simple engine bay 

Old cars are cool like that :D

This was '56 the PCV valve was another 6 years away. Engine fumes were just dumped on the highway. Look between the #1 and #2 plug wires. See what look like a small tin can sticking out? Well there's a metal tube on it going down beside the oil pan and it just drips out on the ground. I believe the PCV was one of the first if not THE first anti pollution devices. Yet it's greatest contribution is making the engine last longer. This engine design is only about two years old and while it has an oil pump it's earlier sister had none! No oil pump.

IMG_4324_zpsrhc8mazw.jpg

Ya the crankcase just dumps to the ground. That's something that will get addressed eventually. Gotta clean the rat poop off to start. :lol: 

• Like 1

Steve that should also have a vacuum operated windshield wiper motor. Try passing a semi truck in the rain. Floor it and the wipers stop, let off half way and get one wipe, floor with white knuckles and they stop half way up, let off for another wipe, floor and signal to turn in front. I think the '59s were electric but I never found one for my '57. Single master, no seat belts, steel dash with projecting knobs.... wow driving back then was.... primitive and manly.

• Like 1

Steve that should also have a vacuum operated windshield wiper motor. Try passing a semi truck in the rain. Floor it and the wipers stop, let off half way and get one wipe, floor with white knuckles and they stop half way up, let off for another wipe, floor and signal to turn in front. I think the '59s were electric but I never found one for my '57. Single master, no seat belts, steel dash with projecting knobs.... wow driving back then was.... primitive and manly.

Pretty sure my dad converted to electric right off the bat. This thing was driven through many snow storms and I don't remember it ever having wiper issues. The first time we came through Stevens Pass when I moved here was blizzard conditions, we were flat towing a dodge colt behind her. :rofl: 

Still have the tow bar, too bad we don't have the colt. 

Nice, now I just have to talk my step dad out of his 56 4x4 Chevy pickup and we can match. :lol:

My dad always talked about getting a 56 long bed with a big back window to go with it. :)

• Like 1

Looks like a growing wagon addiction. I applaud this. :)

I do like these giant old wagons. I've been trying to get my father to purchase a '48 DeSoto Suburban here lately. 9 passenger, 139" wheelbase, absurdly awesome dash and door panels. It's not the 143" Chrysler imperial limo he wants, but those are proving difficult to find.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. You could almost load your 411 in the back of this beast.

• Like 2

Looks like a growing wagon addiction. I applaud this. :)

I do like these giant old wagons. I've been trying to get my father to purchase a '48 DeSoto Suburban here lately. 9 passenger, 139" wheelbase, absurdly awesome dash and door panels. It's not the 143" Chrysler imperial limo he wants, but those are proving difficult to find.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. You could almost load your 411 in the back of this beast.

This is my first goon I guess lol. It is a beast compared to that little guy. 

Nice wagon, not sure about your storage of such a nice relic!  Great car!  If it is numbers matching engine I would keep it. Put the 327 vette motor in it but keep all original parts to pass on to your kids.

It's been a bit of a sore spot for myself as well, but I had few options at the time. At least it's getting some attention now.

One of the first cars I ever drove was my brothers '56 210 sedan, three on the tree with the 265 v8. That was a nice trip down memory lane. I vote keep the blue flame 6 in storage and rock the 327.

I may keep the 6, depends on it firing or not, it was super dependable at one time. Been looking at dual carb setups for it   :devil:

• Like 1

The '55 I bought as a Blue Flame Six 'winter' car in Ontario for $100. Drove it most of a year, never went over 70 in it, always started right up, don't ever remember putting oil in it. Got it stuck once in the winter and is sat in a ditch overnight. Went out with two cars and some friends to dig it out. Let Garth drive it home because I had an old ford LTD road barge. My other friend and Garth got into a race home and disappeared ahead. The other car said he gave up at 110 MPH. Fucking Garth.

• Like 2

Pretty sure my dad converted to electric right off the bat. This thing was driven through many snow storms and I don't remember it ever having wiper issues. The first time we came through Stevens Pass when I moved here was blizzard conditions, we were flat towing a dodge colt behind her. :rofl:

Still have the tow bar, too bad we don't have the colt.

My dad always talked about getting a 56 long bed with a big back window to go with it. :)

Not a long bed but its a equipped with some pretty valuable original napco running gear.

• Like 2

My dad never saw the value in short beds or 4 wheel drive. :lol:

Me, I like 4 wheel drive :D

The '55 I bought as a Blue Flame Six 'winter' car in Ontario for $100. Drove it most of a year, never went over 70 in it, always started right up, don't ever remember putting oil in it. Got it stuck once in the winter and is sat in a ditch overnight. Went out with two cars and some friends to dig it out. Let Garth drive it home because I had an old ford LTD road barge. My other friend and Garth got into a race home and disappeared ahead. The other car said he gave up at 110 MPH. Fucking Garth.

I remember my dad stretching it's legs on the highway and getting over 100 no problem :lol: 

• Like 2

Pic of the two '55 Bowtie Goons that I sent down the road in 1989:

1955%20Bowtie%20Goons_zpsydyugzbz.jpg

I collected twelve to fifteen 55-57 Chevys through the 70's & 80's. A number of them for $50-$100. Had everything except a Nomad. Had two 55 and one 56 convertible. Sold them all to build my wife a shop to set up an upholstery shop in. She was just completing a year of upholstery training (residential & auto) at Oklahoma State Tech about 60 miles up the road. I now consider it a good investment, though sometimes I wish I'd kept the two-door 210. I was a 55-57 nut, then a aircooled VW nut and now a Datsun nut. Also some FIAT, BMW air-cooled, and Messerschmitt Kabineroller thrown in for spice. 

I sometimes fantisized building that two-door with a 53-54 'Vette Blue-Flame six with the sidedraft carbs. Those warmed up in-line sixes can sure make some pretty noises. A very worthy project, you have there and good luck with rounding up all the goodies you might need along the way. Neat thing about those mid-50 Stovebolts is if you have a body shell, you can get anything else you need to build what you want. Same as the Mustangs.

Steve

• Like 3

Got the doors opened and mostly closing. Need to pull the front passenger latch out to see what I'm messing with. :lol:

Plate that came on the blue car. 

IMG_4507_zpsukwfuovr.jpg

Last tabs :lol:

IMG_4486_zpshjt3fhdq.jpg

Doors all open :)

IMG_4498_zpsmevy0hgy.jpg

IMG_4497_zpsdjlg4sla.jpg

IMG_4496_zpsameq906j.jpg

IMG_4500_zpsxgs8ea4f.jpg

IMG_4493_zpsnordwlgn.jpg

IMG_4494_zps58teco4v.jpg

IMG_4504_zpsyaco8plc.jpg

IMG_4502_zpsk4gdi6lc.jpg

IMG_4503_zpsxiy2a7jv.jpg

Worst spot on the car. All in all not to bad. 

IMG_4499_zpsg2fmqw2l.jpg

Converted to electronic wipers, apparently the white car was converted after it was put into a ditch during a snow storm. My mom says she has pics. :lol:

IMG_4505_zpscmfgzfsj.jpg

• Like 1

I still have several vintage T1 VW's ratholed. Latch onto all of those early GM electric wiper units that you can. They were hard to come by 40 years ago. I see at least part of another one in one of the cars. As stated  above, the vacumn units were worthless fifty years ago. They can get you killed; literally.

Those wagon rear bumpers are one application only. Grab any 55-57 rear bumpers that you can. Good trading material.

Steve

• Like 2

Knockout and very seldom seen Pontiac wagon, DaBlist. Pontiacs, Olds, and Buicks didn't survive in near the number as Chevys.

And the Camaro ain't too shabby either.

Pontiac also had a wagon with the Nomad body. Was it called 'Safari'? My memory ain't what it used to be. 

Pontiac also had a version of the Rochester fuel injection in the 57-58 era. All this stuff is scarce as 'Hen's Teeth'. 

Steve

• Like 2

That ramp truck is awesome too. :D

I think most Datsun guys have other obsessions in the background. I'm a reformed VW nut :lol:

I love the wagon!!! Plus I want that ramp truck too! There is a lot of nuts VW and International guys on Ratsun lol!

• Like 2

Knockout and very seldom seen Pontiac wagon, DaBlist. Pontiacs, Olds, and Buicks didn't survive in near the number as Chevys.

And the Camaro ain't too shabby either.

Pontiac also had a wagon with the Nomad body. Was it called 'Safari'? My memory ain't what it used to be. 

Pontiac also had a version of the Rochester fuel injection in the 57-58 era. All this stuff is scarce as 'Hen's Teeth'. 

Steve

Everybody thought it was cool that I owned something different than a Chevy but when I needed to sell it they all wanted a Chevy

• Like 3