Turn signal problems.

CGraves

So I've got the problem where my right turn signal doesn't work. No click and the front,rear, and dash lights don't work.

I replaced the flasher fuse and sprayed the stalk with contact cleaner and that didn't fix my problem. Since that didn't fix my problem that means I'll need to take the assembly apart using this guide. https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/turn-signal-repair/

Is there anything I should try before I tear apart the turn signal assembly?

Also what the hell is zcarsource's problem charging SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS for a turn signal switch, and zcardepot charges $23 shipping on a $6 flasher? I'm not sure if I'm dreaming right now.

Edit: I just checked all my bulbs and both the right signals aren't getting any power so I guess a switch disassembly is in the future for me.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the other side flashes then the flasher isn't the cause, so you could have saved yourself some money there. The turn signals use the same flasher.

Power to the lamos flows this way to ground

Battery.... ignition switch... fuse box... (4 way emergency switch in the off position)....turn flasher unit... turn signal (left or right).... dash, front, rear lamps.... ground.

The old flasher units are load sensitive and need the front and rear lamps working in order for it to flash. A blown bulb reduces the draw and the flasher won't flash. Put more lamps on the system like hauling a trailer and the lamps flash faster. Replace with new bulbs, if that doesn't work then it may require the turn signal to be exposed and looked at. probably a solder joint fell off. Had this happen on my Datsun truck. Thirty seconds with a soldering iron and good to go.

David Irwin rebuilds them, he is also the same one who makes the Parking light harness relays and headlight harness relays. If you haven't already bought a set of them, contact Dave and he can set you up.

Okay so heres what's happened so far.

If I used the left turn signal I would hear it click, the dash indicator would flash, and the front left one would flash, the rear would not. 

If I used the right nothing happened. No lights or clicks. After replacing the flasher I would get 2 clicks on the right but no lights. 

I just replaced both flashers and all 4 bulbs and now none of the lights work.

Seeing as how I've somehow made the problem worse I suppose I have to take the assembly apart.

I also met someone last night at the car meet and he said if my hazard switch isn't working that could cause a lot of funky problems. My hazard switch doesn't work atm, could the physical switch not working cause the problems I'm having?

The turn signals are disconnected by the hazard switch when it's turned on. When you turn the hazard switch off the turn signals are re-connected. Turn signals pass through the hazard switch in the OFF position. If one side has turns then it's connected. Try rocking the hazard on and off several times to clean the contacts.

Take the new turn and hazard flasher units out and put the old ones back in.

Ok so first of all I'd like to say thank you mike for working through this with me.

I played with the hazard switch and put 4 new bulbs in and now I have all the left side turn signals working. Right however will make a click sound then nothing happens. 

That being said I did manage to find an old turn signal assembly off a junkyard 280z so I'm gonna get that one working perfect and swap them out when I get time and see what happens.

If it was working, then it can only be high wear items if it stops like the switch or the bulbs. Wiring doesn't change itself around, although a ground may go bad, if both the front and back are out it's unlikely two grounds would fail at the same time. If the other side works, then the flasher unit is working and the hazard also not the cause. Changing the bulbs eliminates them and we are left with the turn signal switch itself.

Just had this problem with my '72.  When I turned on my right signal, I would get no dash or front light yes on rear when i switched to left... no rear light but a yes on the dash and front.  I figured all my light worked because with the hazards on it was all good.

This guy had a nice video.