Red's 520

damen_red

Hi all! I just picked up a 1967 520 that had sat for 20 years. Don't know exactly what put it out of commission, possibly carburetor problems because it came with two extra carburetors. The head is already at the machine shop and much to my delight the combustion chambers look really good! There was some gel like substance that filled all four cylinders, I'm kinda scratching my head about what it is, don't think someone put it there on purpose, maybe old gas? Someone put diesel fuel in there for long term storage and it turned to gel? At any rate, I want this one to come together rather quickly, because I already have a long term project(1968 Roadster 1600) and need it to do some light duty hauling around my property. I ordered all new brake hydraulics online and am happy to see that unlike the roadster, these things are still available and cheap! There are two major things missing, a bench seat and the front bumper, so if anyone here knows of a good source, please let me know, thanks!

6F20C0Wl.jpg

Gjj6LnFl.jpg

Edited by damen_red
Changing name of topic.
  • Like 3
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try to figure out what the gel substance is.  Old gas, maybe some kind of preservative oil?   Does it dissolve in fresh gas?  If it does, try to remove it as good as possible, put oil in the cylinders, and when it starts, get the engine warm, and change to oil and filter.

I know you said you want to get it running quickly, but I am not sure if you want to do a little more engine inspection (bearings, and rings) first.

There is a good possibility a 521 bench seat may fit.  Unfortunately, 520 bumpers are harder to get.  vehicles tend to be moving forward, when they hit something.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! When I first saw it I thought that the head gasket had gone, because of the rusty spray under the hood, but when I took the head off I saw how nice the cylinders were, so I decided to go ahead and just try to get it started, it is mostly complete and for a head rebuild and a gasket kit, there would be no big loss if I have to take it apart again, there are many multiple little things worn out or corroding, so I am still trying to get a base line of what all needs to be done.  First and foremost are brakes, so I start moving it around, it's easy to push, but I wouldn't be able to stop it if it decided to roll down the hill into my back yard!

Does anyone here have first hand knowledge if a 521 seat fits? I put an ad in the local Craigslist and got a response for a seat and bumper from a 521, don't think the bumper fits, but if the seat does, that'd be great!

As far as the goo goes, it looks and smells like petroleum jelly, I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance, I just can't imagine anyone having the foresight to be squirting petroleum jelly in there knowing that it'd be sitting for a while.

• Like 1

Thanks! It's like that on the Roadster as well, although I suspect certain metric/SAE sizes fit because some of the nuts/bolts are so rusted out! I would like to find a good source for replacement hardware(nuts/bolts/studs), anyone find a good replacement for the head studs? I'm debating just cleaning the threads off and using new nuts, but the top threads are pretty rusty, don't know yet how much thread is left.

• Like 1

Just got a call from the machine shop, they are doing a valve job and resurface on the head but the rocker assembly is pretty shot. I figure I will try getting an assembly from an MGB, as they are cheap and abundant, at the very minimum I need one rocker arm to replace the rusty one.

I also took a chance on this water inlet, mine was pretty rusty and made of iron, it appears that the one I have linked is aluminum, he says that it fits a 520, anyone bought parts from this particular seller? I purchased a carburetor kit from him as well, but couldn't tell if it was the right one or not as I have no reference, but I figure for $14, not much to loose and since it apparently takes 4 weeks to get from Mexico to San Diego, I better act fast!

• Like 1

Just got a call from the machine shop, they are doing a valve job and resurface on the head but the rocker assembly is pretty shot. I figure I will try getting an assembly from an MGB, as they are cheap and abundant, at the very minimum I need one rocker arm to replace the rusty one.

I also took a chance on this water inlet, mine was pretty rusty and made of iron, it appears that the one I have linked is aluminum, he says that it fits a 520, anyone bought parts from this particular seller? I purchased a carburetor kit from him as well, but couldn't tell if it was the right one or not as I have no reference, but I figure for $14, not much to loose and since it apparently takes 4 weeks to get from Mexico to San Diego, I better act fast!

The mgb rocker shaft will work. Chances are the rocker arm bushings are worn also and will need replacing. Once again, the mgb parts will work, but they are not plug and play. They will need to be reamed to size.
  • Like 1

Looks like high temp bearing grease maybe? not sure why and how it would be in there though. like you said you'd doubt someone would have the forethought to take the head off and do this if they though it was going to be sitting for a long time. were the head bolts loose at all?

No, I was definitely the first one to take this head off, it didn't come easy.

The mgb rocker shaft will work. Chances are the rocker arm bushings are worn also and will need replacing. Once again, the mgb parts will work, but they are not plug and play. They will need to be reamed to size.

I went ahead and ordered an entire assembly from British Masters near me in Vista, that should give me enough parts to hopefully make one good one. Are you saying that the diameter for the MGB is smaller than that for the Datsun? If so, that'd be great, because I could ream the rocker arms out to within tolerance, maybe?

Try Kip Motors for BMC B Series parts that interchange.

I'm trying locally here first, they have no store front and wouldn't let me pick it up, so I have no idea what they are going to mail me, if it doesn't work out, I'll give them a shot, thanks!

• Like 1

Let's hope that MGB rocker assembly works out, I just picked up my old one from the machine shop, they said it was too worn and would have to send it somewhere else if I wanted it refurbished.

GSB627Il.jpg

The outer two surfaces are not bad, but the third one, where the rusty rocker was is heavily grooved, which explains why the rocker arm was rusty. I figure it was oil starved and the extra friction caused heat and scoring which burned the rocker arm and any oil that was protecting it.

P6djqvzl.jpg

I'm a little worried now about scoring on the camshaft because of this, I hope the rocker arm was loose on the shaft and not frozen, which could cause problems down the line, I'll have to inspect that pushrod when I get home to see if it is bent at all or shows any ill effects.

• Like 1

Let's hope that MGB rocker assembly works out, I just picked up my old one from the machine shop, they said it was too worn and would have to send it somewhere else if I wanted it refurbished.

GSB627Il.jpg

The outer two surfaces are not bad, but the third one, where the rusty rocker was is heavily grooved, which explains why the rocker arm was rusty. I figure it was oil starved and the extra friction caused heat and scoring which burned the rocker arm and any oil that was protecting it.

P6djqvzl.jpg

I'm a little worried now about scoring on the camshaft because of this, I hope the rocker arm was loose on the shaft and not frozen, which could cause problems down the line, I'll have to inspect that pushrod when I get home to see if it is bent at all or shows any ill effects.

When I rebuilt the E1 for our 320, I had the cam ground and lifters re-faced. I had the grinder keep the basic profile and duration but had .05 more lift put in the lobe profile. Had another cam for Andy in eastern Kansas done at same time. He had half a dozen 320 pickups and says he can definitely tell the change in performance. Regrind might be an option if you're wary of the cam condition. Seems like prices were $50 per cam and $2 per lifter. My rocker unit was in good condition.

RegroundCamampLiftersClose-up_zps13015cc

• Like 1

Let me know if the MG parts don't work for you, I will send you a PM.

GSB627Il.jpg

P6djqvzl.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be assembling the brakes this weekend instead of the engine since I need to sort out the rocker assembly. Also, I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether or not a 521 seat is a perfect fit for a 520, I have a lead now on 2 seats(both 521s) in LA and will be going up there next weekend, I'd hate to bring one back and have it not fit.

• Like 1

When I rebuilt the E1 for our 320, I had the cam ground and lifters re-faced. I had the grinder keep the basic profile and duration but had .05 more lift put in the lobe profile. Had another cam for Andy in eastern Kansas done at same time. He had half a dozen 320 pickups and says he can definitely tell the change in performance. Regrind might be an option if you're wary of the cam condition. Seems like prices were $50 per cam and $2 per lifter. My rocker unit was in good condition.

RegroundCamampLiftersClose-up_zps13015cc

I was hoping not to get too far into the engine, but seeing as how I didn't get my head back and they have those handy-dandy lifter access ports, I owe it to myself to at least inspect the lifters. I did get the MBG Rocker assembly, the rockers seem tight on there, which could be a good thing, but I'd like to disassemble it and inspect it, along with comparing it to the Datsun assembly.

• Like 1

Might be a good time ti find a J15 engine out of a fork lift.

This has always interested me, because the same goes for the roadster, but I have never been able to find a forklift for "cheap", of course my search has been mostly limited to Craigslist and come up with things like this (Datsun forklift, $2700). Is there a trick to finding a clapped out forklift that I can pull an engine from?

• Like 1