what rearend will fit in my 67 pl411 with 1300cc engine?

j&n's411

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Differentials don't shake.

Raise each tire and spin by hand, looking for bulges on the tread or any damage. Is the rim bent from drifting into a curb? Did you lend it to your kid??? Look also for marks where a wheel weight fell off and unbalanced the rim. Also look for mud trapped on the inside of the rim by the drum brake. Swap the tires to the front and see if anything changes.

Check the driveshaft for damage, dents or recently made marks. Look here also for the outline of a balance weight that may have come off. Usually driveshaft out of balance is a vibration and noise rather than a shaking. I would expect a bad tire.

• Like 1

The entire front end and linkages are all greased the tires are brand new we just put them on. I didn't make myself clear on the first post. The car shakes only when I go to take off. Right now I'm replacing the u joints in the drive shaft I have put all new bushing I the rear new shocks also put in the leaf spring supports. The car drives smooth when I'm rolling and shifting its just when I take off it shakes. Sometimes a little sometimes violent. Any input on this thanks

• Like 1

got the u joints put in today still does it  :mad: i did take it for a short drive i can hear a slite whinning in the diff. we changed the oil in the diff a couple of weeks ago. checked it today it has now a rusty tinge to it. witch tells me time for rebuild or a new one. 

• Like 1

got the u joints put in today still does it  :mad: i did take it for a short drive i can hear a slite whinning in the diff. we changed the oil in the diff a couple of weeks ago. checked it today it has now a rusty tinge to it. witch tells me time for rebuild or a new one. 

Or an "extreme pressure" additive.  Sorry animal lovers, this usually requires adding a Sperm Oil additive [usually reserved for positraction rear ends] but absolutely the best extreme pressure lubricant in the universe!  This was a problem with the early Camaro Positraction rear ends and required regional manager approval to use the additive mostly because it was so expensive [the U.S. Department of Defense had sewned up the majority of the supply as War Reserve Materiel].

• Like 1

now ive seen some cars use a rear brace right above the diff to prevent such vibration. does anyone have a picture of there rear end so i can compare to mine, to make shure someone didnt change anything before we got it 

• Like 1

Shouldn't need a brace top reduce vibration. Better to remove the cause. The 411 uses an H-190? If so this is a rigid axle so has to be free to move up and down.

Did you swap the tires to the front to see if the problem moves? Are the tires round, easy enough to spin them and look at the tread. Does the tread squirm from side to side this would be some internal damage to the tire. Drum broken? Rim bent? All easy to check and costs nothing to do.

• Like 2

Shouldn't need a brace top reduce vibration. Better to remove the cause. The 411 uses an H-190? If so this is a rigid axle so has to be free to move up and down.

Did you swap the tires to the front to see if the problem moves? Are the tires round, easy enough to spin them and look at the tread. Does the tread squirm from side to side this would be some internal damage to the tire. Drum broken? Rim bent? All easy to check and costs nothing to do.

the tires are perfect. the problem never moved. i also found something interesting out. when i got the u joints for the 411 they where to small. i  took it back and took the old one with me. the guy helped me match it up and found out the u joints that fit it was out of a 521 truck. and i checked the diff and its aluminum. the parts guy who is also into datsun said it sound like i got the whole running gear from a 521. it is a j15 motor so it might be possible. thoughts 

• Like 1

I think all the 521/520/510/Roadster differentials were aluminum. Earlier ones were SAE and later were metric. Much of the old stuff is basically truck parts. The H-190 was over kill for the 510 so very over kill for earlier cars. J15? we didn't get the J15 only J13 in the 521

i have a problem with differential shaking and slightly clunking there is no slop in drive line u joints. if anyone can help me i would greatfully appreciate it thanks

You say shaking but do you mean vibrating? Vibration is (more or less) faster like a spinning driveshaft while shaking would be slower and more pronounced like an oval tire as it turns.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you have hard spots on your flywheel and/or pressure plate ,, that will make it shake like a son of a bitch at take off but nowhere else.  Have you taken the clutch out ever?  if yes,, does it have blue patches ( like it has been heated up ) on either pressure plate of flywheel  ??

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you have hard spots on your flywheel and/or pressure plate ,, that will make it shake like a son of a bitch at take off but nowhere else.  Have you taken the clutch out ever?  if yes,, does it have blue patches ( like it has been heated up ) on either pressure plate of flywheel  ??

yes we have had the motor and tranny out. the flywheel and the pressure plate looked good all normal looking. but the clutch in one area had a little rust milky residue on it and the springs in the clutch move around very easy. like you can shake the clutch and hear most of the springs moving. and this just got me thinking is that my problem a bad clutch???