My 521 project- new to Ratsun

Motopilot

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been safe to buy from him on ebay so far, but it is not safe to contract him to have anything made, not even if you live near him, he has screwed a few of his fellow Aussies amoung others.

Others have screwed him too, so I guess what goes around comes around. :lol:

• Like 1

Not yet Hainz...last week to go away with the family before work and school starts up for my kids and wife.

Last hurrah and then winterized the boat to put away till next spring.

I will be correcting my blunders and trying it out the fix next Monday. I may have a Weber by then as well. I want to try the stock carb first to prove it would work and then try the Weber.

• Like 1

Who makes good aftermarket gaskets for the L models. I have seen enduratec, durapro, fel pro I can cut my own from a sheet with the exception of the head gasket and oil pan, misc o-rings.

I will be back to work on the truck Monday

I may order up some 1/4 window seals from Aus. If anyone wants a set pm me and we can share the shipping.

• Like 1

felpro is fine.

If you can get the Durapro I like their headgaskets as its a 87mm. I got mine from Austrilia. if there is a source here let me know. I know its all made in japan (headgasket)

Let us know where to get these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DURAPRO HEAD GASKETS the Graphite ones. as they make a composite also

stone gaskets are somewhat good

partks geek.com has VictorRenz also

• Like 1

So I have figured out the vacuum issue. Worth the help of the"how to keep your L series alive" book. I found that my year did not have a vacuum line coming out of the carb. There was a steel line that was supposed to thread into the carb base. Lack of experience on this tour of carb I missed that. I found a vacuum tube out of another carb I picked up and fitted it in and jb weld to secure and seal it.

20160902_134511_zps1xwbsihs.jpg

I plugged the end of the vac line from intake manifold and the fuel valve (evap).

Next the timing now with a light that had a tach. 750 RPM 10° advance (3500ft altitude here) and it purrs nicely!

• Like 1

Next some help getting all of my vacuum lines routed correctly please.  

At the moment I have a single line running from the Carb to the Dizzy.

A single line from the Intake manifold to the air cleaner temperature control, which then goes out from the controller to the vac valve in the snorkel. 

A single line running from the flow control valve to the long metal tube from the air cleaner.

This truck does not have the air pump etc. for the emissions system.

The top line from the flow guide valve goes to the air cleaner. Which fitting does it connect to? I suspect the longer metal tube at 6 o'clock pointed at the camera.
20160902_134530_zpswxupf4ii.jpg
20160902_134641_zpsbc9fxim5.jpg

Next is the vacuum line from the intake manifold. I want to confirm that this goes to the temp sensor for the valve in the snorkel of the air cleaner which is the hose in the grommet on the left in the above pic. What line is supposed to fit on the other side of the bracket with the grommet if any? 
20160902_134541_zps5jabvshf.jpg

You can barely see my home made PCV hose that I fabricated up from copper plumbing joints and diiferent hose sizes. A temporary measure until I get a stock one.

Carpartsmanual show a T fitting in the vacuum line. I cant see where another line would need to go currently. The Dizzy is hooked up straight to the vac tube out of the Carb.

• Like 1

I took my son to Pick nPull this weekend for the sale.

We picked up 2 alternators. 1 of a 96 Pathfinder 12V90A and an Infinity 12V100A. I will get them both tested and then probably fit up the 90A as it is physically smaller.

20160905_082631_zpsugev5ctl.jpg

20160905_082516_zps5fbkrbrv.jpg
20160905_082529_zpswmuo3fes.jpg
[/url]
20160905_082601_zpso0skzfcu.jpg

20160905_082643_zpssgn9rpyu.jpgWe also grabbed a honda civic blower motor. I read somewhere here on Ratsun that the 88'-91 heater motors are a good upgrade to the original. It was half price day, so it was not a big investment.

I am now looking for a 280x water inlet if anyone has one. no wreckers up here have any old datsuns anymore.

Cheers
  • Like 1