521 engine swap help

Ketcher521

Buying a 1972 Datsun 521. It has the l16. Needs the carb rebuilt and the breaks redone. Other than that seems pretty good and strong. No rust through spots. Or anything. Solid frame. Etc. I would like to do an engine swap. I have been thinking a ka24. But I would like to know other options and opinions. Just a bit more horse power and reliablity would be great.

Love some ideas guys! 4)- ms

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easiest would b fitment wise,L20b or some sort of LZ MOTOR. Second is ka24de,damn good power. Add 3.70 gears,total high speed cruizer. Parts available most anywhere. All other swaps much more work and/or fab work. Please dont over look disc brake upgrade and repair or mod of suspension. I know of 3 swaped 521 that were wrecked,due to these factors. Even with that l16,shit can get real in a hurry. 

• Like 3

If the L-16 engine runs good and strong, do the engine swap as a last option.  The reason most people think the L-16 does not have enough power is that they do not understand the L-16 likes way more RPM that most people use.  Torque peak on a L-16 is 3,600 RPM   Horsepower peak is about 6,000 RPM.  Yellow zone for RPM is 6,500, Red line is 7,000.

If you get the truck, run the L-16 for a while.  Yes, some people have done various engine swaps.  Far more engines swaps were started, and abandoned, with the truck being scrapped, or never ran.

• Like 3

Far more engines swaps were started, and abandoned, with the truck being scrapped, or never ran.

That is the main thing that kills me about the enthusiast car world. Seeing a car or truck that got hacked into and then never finished is like shooting a buffalo just for its hide.

• Like 3

That is the main thing that kills me about the enthusiast car world. Seeing a car or truck that got hacked into and then never finished is like shooting a buffalo just for its hide.

I disagree. At least the hunter took the hide. The car guy just shoots the buffalo then feels bad that he doesn't know how to skin it, so he just leaves it there.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

First, you guys rock for replying. I test drove the one and i needed new brakes, carb and the ignition broke. The body was a bit rougher than I assumed it was going to be. I have decided to go with this one instead. A lot cheaper and better body. the catch is that the motor is in the bed. But other than that it is a lot better. I am trying to figure out how to upload pics. SUPER NEW TO THIS SITE!

I think I would clean up the engine that it has, drop it back in. Drive it as is, while I am upgrade the brakes, suspensions, possible tubbing, and other issues that arise. So when I get to the engine, I can drop it in and not worry about not stopping. It is low key my dream is to put a ka24 into it and drive the mess out of it.

I have been searching for one of these guys for like six years so just to find one is amazing. (sorry for my geeking out!)

• Like 1

flatcat's easy guide to posting pics...

Load all pics to photobucket.

Click picture you want to upload.

From PC, right side of screen, click IMG code.

That code will flash yellow and say COPIED.

Paste that picture to text box below.

From mobile app: Select picture. Press the SHARE icon.

Select COPY TO CLIPBOARD. You will see all 4 link options.

Again, click the IMG code to see the copied message.

Paste that code to text box below.

• Like 1

If the L-16 engine runs good and strong, do the engine swap as a last option.

If you get the truck, run the L-16 for a while.  Yes, some people have done various engine swaps.  Far more engines swaps were started, and abandoned, with the truck being scrapped, or never ran.

yep..run the L16 till you get the money, resources and tech. know how for KA swap.

Run the L16. Shake the bugs out of the 521.

like others have said, rock the l16 for a bit, and figure out what you really want, build it and swap. don't under estimate the l20b power. and get us some pics!!!!! :)

That's the best advice there is. Get it running. Sort it out and know what needs to be fixed and what needs upgrading then DO it. Build from a solid foundation. 

• Like 3

it isn't letting upload a picture. But it is just a basic tan 521. It has virtually no body damage. Super straight. No rust through spots. or really any rust. solid frame. Engine in the bed. Other than that. Clean. 500 bucks. Its a steal in my eyes. I have been looking for the right one for years.

• Like 1

yeah. It The tan one is the one I would be buying. The green one is another one he has for sale but it is more so a parts truck.

What kind of computer you have, desk top?

What browser you using?

If you buy that 521, you need to buy the dash out of that 520, it is metal and will never crack like that 521 dash is cracked.

• Like 1

Computer stuff hey I can contribute
I created an Imgur account
Up;loaded images or just paste in the image address from your Google photos (in my case )

then once uploaded

Click the image
Click the Copy icon on the one marked BBCode

Paste into the reply frame and Violla picture
mfqWbh9.jpg

• Like 1