Honda XL70 Bobber

Well, here we go again... While restoring my 1972 Honda SL70 http://community.ratsun.net/topic/68899-1972-honda-sl70-restoration/I amassed a lot of extra "parts bikes"; now, its time to give one of those castoff bikes a new shot at life! 

This one in particular is a 1974 Honda XL70, the successor of the more valuable SL70. I chose to build this one because it had the cleanest frame and had excellent front forks, which is rare among these bikes. 

nLYY74ih.jpg

So here it is, just your typical old trail bike, rough, missing stuff, but good bones underneath. You'll see what I'm talking about...

It was quite the mess getting it torn down, but after doing a couple of these bikes, you start to get an idea how to best tackle it. In my case, top to bottom and then front to back.

kHDCELRh.jpg

Now, I've decided that I'm going to build a Bobber style XL70 for use at swap meets, and also something to just have around the shop for goofing off on in the downtime. So if you're a Honda purist, look away!

Getting an idea of the new stance:

K8gq8RMh.jpg

Marking spots for my cuts:

epz7tTOh.jpg

Looks much different now!

WMo98HTh.jpg

Media-blasted the frame, and starting the mock-up process:

AkeLYBPh.jpg

I've decided to use the original swing-arm as the lower frame rail, since this will allow me to keep the same wheelbase, and also let me use the factory chain. 

Here's the new frame tubes getting cut and notched to fit:

9FcgOMph.jpg

JSN4jhSh.jpg

All welded up!

jGDMtmIh.jpg

KYcEiX6h.jpg

For the lower frame rails, which you can see in the previous post were just cut short, I elected to simply loop them in and close off the engine area. The rear is plenty strong, and since I'm a paltry 135lbs, no need to overbuild it...

CkIdCGsh.jpg

iN0M5k5h.jpg

So here's where I sit at the end of today:

s3ZDG7lh.jpg

I have a 125cc Lifan motor ready to bolt it, so that will probably be one of the next things to do. But first, I need to shave the frame, removing all the original Honda mounting points for ignition, coil, air filter, foot pegs, etc... Since the Lifan is  CDI ignition, I won't need switches, a battery, or any complex mounts. 

Since this will be mostly for cruising around in the day light, I have no plans of installing an operation headlight or tail-light, I might install some dummies, but it's more a design study than my personal bike. 

Stay tuned for more thrashing, I'll be working on this steadily as the parts arrive. It's gonna be a bit of a cross between a dirt-bike, hillclimber, and a bobber; so there should be something for everyone!

~Peter

• Like 3
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More progress on the build, and a few changes in the plans... 

Initially, I purchased a Lifan 125CC 4spd Manual engine combo and was going to install that, but I quickly realized that the added stroke length added 1/4" to the overall length, so there was no easy way to fit it in the XL70 frame. Sure, I could hack my down-tubes up and re-position them, but that was compromising a bit too much of the bike's original shape. So, that motor is now set aside for another project.

So the plan is now to use a 70CC 4speed Automatic engine instead. It will fit in the frame just fine and is identical in size to the original engine, so I'll be using a spare block I had for the mock-up from here on out. 

kg4aRBOh.jpg

Cleaned up the frame, removed a lot of minor mounting tabs and such, just an initial cleaning, it will get more metal work once I'm prepping for paint.

Mocking up a possible exhaust system, just a cheap $40 Chinese pipe, had to cut and weld in a few spots. Not really sure I'll run this, probably would be too loud. :/

DB2AhnEh.jpg

All welded up and just hanging at the moment, not going to make brackets until I settle on a tailpipe/muffler.

KxrgGnvh.jpg

Headlight is a really cool aftermarket piece, I modified the factory Horn mounting plate to accept the light-mount.

h70E7Gjh.jpg

Under-shot of the exhaust "1st attempt"

fzRlaaVh.jpg

It sure is nice having space to work on this, I can't imagine building a bike on the ground or outside...

knTDzdPh.jpg

Throttle grips and more installed on the handlebars for a trial fit:

pH39rpLh.jpg

lLoCGauh.jpg

Looking pretty much how I planned. Definitely is a "bobber" though, this thing is pretty dang short!

So here is how it sits tonight. I should have fenders coming tomorrow or Saturday, so I may get those mocked up as well. Better rims/tires are getting ordered and mounted, so they should be back next week. I wasn't planning on this build going this fast, but when I have the time, I might as well work on it!

Yes, that is the factory XL70 tank, I think I'll use it just for the nostalgia and history of it. Normally I'd be putting a custom Bobber style tank on, but this already fits and is in pretty good shape...

8cKTScph.jpg

Stay tuned!
~Peter

• Like 3

Not a whole lot of worthy progress on the bike this weekend, just a lot of mocking things up, then sitting back and contemplating. 

I'll have my new 70cc motor here on Tuesday, so look for updates then. :)

~Peter

• Like 3

I'm assuming you're doing a suspension seat. Going classic springs or modern tiny shock?

And I like the blue :(

Classic Spring Suspension Seat. I'm waiting on my engine to arrive before getting anything else mocked up or welded in place, which is why I've been painting. 

Regarding the blue, it definitely had a Bowling Ball look to it, but was a bit dark for my tastes, at least on this bike. 

• Like 1

This

I think the paint fumes have gotten to me, walked into the booth 5hrs ago, and emerged with this:

VZiUz82h.jpg

Still need to cut/polish tomorrow, but this may just be the winner! Burnt Copper Body with Gold Flake dishes and a sunburst to the top of the tank, all of which will show up better outside. :)

~Peter

• Like 1

What is that tank from? I meant to ask earlier.

It's just a a Wassell style Dished Tank I got off eBay awhile back. Not going to use it on this bike, just had it lying around for paint practice. I like to get a method down very well before I paint the actual pieces; that way I have a step-by-step process to achieve repeat results.

~Peter

• Like 1

Ah, got ya. I assumed it was going on this bike. I've painted a few practice tanks myself for that reason (and just for experience in general, not exactly an expert painter)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

Changed out the large sprocket for a smaller one, gotta have a better top-end. It ended up being a rather simple operation, a snap ring and a puller was all it took. Now it's all back together and we're nearing the end of the fabrication stage.

rOOVw7Ch.jpg

Got an air-cleaner that should work for now, I'd still like to fab a more period correct one.

g1G7maLh.jpg

Seat fabrication is ongoing, I need to mount that and the gas tank. I also need to layout some rough mounting points for all the wiring. Oh yeah, and a kickstand...

7iv3Y5wh.jpg

I'll be on vacation for a few weeks, but when I get back in September, I should be getting this bike wrapped up and ready for paint!

~Peter

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: 

Finished the seat mount, decided to go with a rigid seat, since there wasn't enough room for the travel of a sprung seat. In hindsight, I should've stretched the frame and given myself more space. Maybe next time...

Anyways, plenty of movement fore and aft as well as being able to space it higher if tire rubbing becomes an issue. 

84WQWmAh.jpg

Exhaust was wrapped up today as well! I puzzled over this for awhile, tried out dual exhaust, single open, and cafe-style megaphone, and this is the simplest and best looking (in my opinion). 

8VFt0Nqh.jpg

Next up is kickstand, tank mounts, and tail-light bracket. Getting really close to final bits before paint!

~Peter

• Like 2

its a good thing it a just around the block bike haha

hard tail+fixed seat =    :w00t:  :sick:

Yep, not going to be the smoothest ride, but it's just for cruising around the shop area, or at the Texas Motor Speedway Parking Lots at the Pate Swap Meet. Believe me, I spent a whole week testing out springer seats, couldn't get one that didn't resemble a Mustang or Cushman... Ugh.

• Like 1

shocks_seat_solo_la-rosa_weld-on_tabs_3.

they do make these mini seat coil-overs 

Still no room for the seat to travel. I'd have to mount the seat like 4" above the current position to account for the movement. Besides, not the raw, simple bobber look I'm going for.

• Like 1

Almost done:

Decided between two shades of House of Kolor Stratto Blue, ultimately choose the one on the right. Richer color, better shade. 

SG55fjUh.jpg

Decided to go with a "suicide-shifter", rather than the foot style. It's a bolt-on switch, so going back is no big deal, and the wow-factor gets bumped up a notch with the hand shifting...

NZE0Pqxh.jpg

Also, custom air-cleaner. Sits nicely and just clears the shifter arm!

1NMLiKUh.jpg

Gas tank mounts finished! Ugly for now, going to clean up later. 

QlinrMTh.jpg

Gas tank is now getting de-rusted and sealed before body-work and paint! Now onto the bare bones of this bike. I had a whole list of things to do today and got through almost all of them.

8zBFP22h.jpg

Kickstand mounted, not quite fully welded and shaved, but looks good and works!

FTnRDEbh.jpg

XBCOxdKh.jpg

Needing to cleanup the gas tank mounting bungs, I'm gonna have a lot of grinding and finishing to do...

SX7c2lCh.jpg

New brake return spring and bracket, old one was deleted because I'm not running brake lights, just running lights. 

Sjz7c5Ch.jpg

Tail-Light bracket welded and ground down a bit. Still more cleaning to do here...

X81leIih.jpg

Changed out the SL70 footpegs for some modified SL100 pegs. Cleaner and lighter look!

U38xZA7h.jpg

Brackets made for the minimal wiring. Amazing how little this thing has to run, still need to splice in light wiring at a later date.

o6CXcmMh.jpg

Shift-knob finished drying!

v7eyyM3h.jpg

I might be getting the tank ready for bodywork as soon as tomorrow; I have some cool plans for the tank, since it will kinda be the showpiece on the bike. I'll probably walk y'all through the painting plans and steps in a future post. For now, I'm going to bed, and hitting this project hard again tomorrow!

~Peter

• Like 3