L, Z, and CA tranny ratio spec sheet

jovial_cynic

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so how do we submit info when we see errors in that info?

Not that it matters so much.

The "truck #1" tranny is basically 1977-78 5-speeds. (5-speed came out in '77)

"truck #2" is 1979 truck. Notice in 1979 the 5th gear is not quite as tall, those trucks had a slightly taller rear gear. 4.11 instead of 4.375

And the R200 3.36 was in 1979 4-speed manual 280ZX's which I have only heard of their existance but never seem one in real life. (not even online)

The other source for that tall 3.36 R200 is the 1974 260Z 2+2 manual trans car.

Turob 280ZX was only available 1981-83 and from what I know every one of them had a 3.54 R200. (auto and T5) so they did not have a 3.36

• 2 months later...

So here's my question:

How do you ACTUALLY ID the tranny? :confused:

All I can find is the serial # on the top of the bell housing.

Jason Gray's Spec sheet is wonderful, but doesn't include the actual Tranny codes....

That all being said, I'd like to pull a dogleg out of the local j/y but I'm not even sure if the 5speed I already have is one of the short/long ones....I still have no proof that my current 5sp is actually stock (doubtfull - 76 620) and then, am I gaining anything other than shift pattern????....really don't know till we can put some id#s on that spec sheet....

No- the 3-piece has a separate bellhousing- three separate case segments. That spacer doesn't count as a "piece". That's a standard FS5W71B- 77+ truck/Z type tranny.

280ZX's don't have doglegs. It was solely a 4-cyl CAR tranny ('77-79 200SX/'78-81 510). You do NOT want a dogleg in a truck, as it's completely different size.

The ZX tranny looks identical to what you have. The only difference is the gears inside.

The ZX tranny looks identical to what you have. The only difference is the gears inside.

...Funny how confused I can get sometimes....:rolleyes:

OK...I'm recaged...The doglegs are all short tails....easy swap for the 510s and 1600s...no need for us truck folk....

....I just think the dogleg pattern is cool....

Guess there's no way to findout what gears I have in mine without breaking it open of course.....I just feel the need to get the 200ZX tranny out of the J/Y before it becomes scrap...

280ZX or 200SX? No such 200ZX...

The '81-83 280ZX tranny is the tallest overdrive, though any 5-speed is better than the 4-speed. I'll say, though, the '82 280ZX 5-speed in my '76 KC is great on the freeway but just not enough 1st gear. The L18 I have has not enough torque, but I got used to it. Gotta keep the RPMs up.

Guess there's no way to findout what gears I have in mine without breaking it open of course.....I just feel the need to get the 200ZX tranny out of the J/Y before it becomes scrap...

If you carefully counted the number of turns of the input spline to get one turn of the output end in each gear you could compare to the chart. You would have to be very precise or maybe use a degree wheel but could get close enough. Maybe try to get 10 output turns then divide by 10 to get an average.

BTW the first gen sx's had EI dizzies, get it (and the coil that goes with it) and no more points!!! They also had an X large 3 core L rad, check it out. I have this rad in my '78. Also, the head I got off a 200sx was a W-58 closed chamber 'peanut' very much in demand by some.

Aholic:

oops...yes...I meant the 280ZX....(just a typo...my wife's the blonde.....who btw, after 1 week with a rental car because somone rearended me as I stopped for an ambulance with Lights & Sirens on: "Honey, where's the release for the gas tank filler??" (on our 05 Caravan we've owned for 1.5 yrs)....."Sweetheart," I said, "There is none!".....)

Thanks also...I didn't realize that the 1st gear was that much of an issue on the 280ZX...I was looking more at hwy cruising.......can't I have both?????

Mike:

Yep, I got the Dizzie....I didn't think about pulling the head...I have a peanut already, but e-bay should jump at it....THANKS for the "heads" up...look's like i'll be j/y this weekend...

The 280ZX didn't need a low granny 1st gear, so it didn't have it. The L28E had far more torque, and the car was "rated" as lighter (though the 620 is lighter empty than a stock 280ZX). But you can't beat the ZX overdrive.

I have a truck 5-speed in my '78 4X4- it's plenty of overdrive for that truck, keeps the RPMs just at 3K at around 65. Plus there's no problem getting going in 1st. The ZX 5-speed in my KC is a lot lower RPMs but I don't know since I don't have a tach (I could compute it). But 1st gear takeoffs are like a 2nd gear takeoff in anything else. The ZX tranny keeps the 1-4 ratios fairly close, but gives a real step to 5th, whereas the truck has a wider 1-4 spread but a shorter 5th. In reality, the truck ratio ('77-78) is the same as the '77-79 Z/ZX. The worst truck ratio is the '79 one, which has very little overdrive.

• 4 months later...