Metal fuel lines

I have tried all the major auto parts stores and online parts companies but I have been unable to find metal fuel line material to make a new fuel line for our 1973 Datsun 610 Station wagon. I assume that aluminum tubing is not safe for use on a stock street car, Is copper tubing OK and safe to use?Is it possible to get stainless steel tubing that can join to the stock 1/4" ID "rubber" flexible hose?

last week my carb guy said the carb was filled with 'varnish' again, he didn't know of any fuel filter that can stop 'varnish', What is the cleanest brand of gas? I am in southern California.

Yes, I did have the tank cleaned by a radiator shop yesterday. Now I want to make sure the fuel line is new. I will be picking up a new fuel pump next week.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbs don't fill up with varnish.

'Varnish' is a dissolved fuel additives (dispersants and detergents) in your fuel that really don't pose a problem unless left for long periods allowing the fuel to evaporate... leaving these deposits behind. The best cure is to drive your vehicle regularly to not allow this to happen. Anything small enough to pass the fuel filter is not going to clog your carb. 

Change you fuel filter more often and drive your car.  

If it's running, you don't need a 'new' fuel pump. Your original is better than any you can buy.

• Like 1

O'Reilly sells lengths like draker shows and the unions for them. You may have ask them for hard metal brake line, but it's a universal use material that bends nicely and will work fine.

• Like 1

And you don't need a bunch of fancy tubing benders either. I use different size tubing to get the radius I want and just roll it over the tube until the bend is right.

Flaring a fuel line is not absolutely required, but I would do a bubble flare on either end just to make sure the fuel line never pops off.

• Like 3

Running 3/8 aluminum from speedway motors. Super easy to work with and no issues. Be sure to properly secure the lines and you shouldn't have any problems. Only thing I would do differently is that I would have gotten a tubing straightener to make for a cleaner install.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The only reasons to replace fuel line are rust, kinks, or other physical damage.  Fuel is full of cleaners, so the lines are self-cleaning, at least internally.  

If you ask for steel brake line, you can get it any any auto parts store.  Or run a larger size, as most 4 cylinder cars use 5/16" ID (3/8" OD).  I suspect if you use a factory fuel pump you'll need the smaller size or you may never get the pump to prime (or at least it could take a LONG time.)  

• Like 1