521 on d21 frame

dat nasty

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wont start. No injector pulse. No codes, other than air temp circuit but ive never had a nissan that didnt have that.i have plenty of good grounds going on. I even hooked up the hardbody switches/cluster inside to minimize variables...

• Like 1

Found a cam angle sensor wire with cracked insulation rubbing against the ground strap they use to stiffin the harness. Gotta love old nissan wiring.... started right up comma runs like poop, misfire period after wait until payday to get the basic tune up so I can keep troubleshooting. I'm about to have an anxiety attack waiting to drive this Beast

• Like 1

There is only one power wire on that wiper motor, all you need to do is figure out which one is the blue/red one, hook that one to power, the rest are all grounds, but the separate black wire is the true ground, all the other grounds ground out thru that black ground wire, but you can ground them out to ground just to find out what each does(slow-fast-park).

I use 720 wiring harnesses in my creations, I am able to wire the 521 wiper motor to work exactly like the 720 wiper motor works, I have off, intermittent, slow, and fast, so you should be able to do the same thing.

• Like 1

Brake Pedastal is 720, clutch pedastal was made from exhaust scrap. Both masters are d21, i need a smaller brake booster.

Just took it down the road, totally worth it. Mocking up 4link and bed this weekend. I know ive said that before but for really real this time

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

10 years ago I probably would have tried to weld it myself, but I will be carrying a kid in this thing, I will probably drive it the rest of my life, considering I've had that Nissan since I was a teenager, I'm going for a lifetime build

• Like 2

Now im wishing i was more familiar w the 521 harness, all hardbody "circuits" are two wire on the cluster. 521 seems mostly 1 wire. Had to stop and think what gets positive and what gets negative.then i noticed broken pins, a burnt path and missing bulbs. Going to give it a refurb. Id like to use it soon

• Like 1

That's because the 521 gauge cluster has grounds in the cluster, while the hardbody and 720 are likely the same and do not have a ground in the cluster, the gauge light circuit needs to pull power from the side marker lights as they ground to the body, and high beam indicator light has to use both wires and you need to use a plastic bulb holder that doesn't ground out, other wise you headlights will drain your battery as they come on just enough to see them on at night, but you cannot tell during the day, that is what happens when you add a ground to the headlight circuit when there is not supposed to be one.

I figured all this out when I put a 720 harness in my 521 kingcab diesel truck, also the round headlights are wired differently than the square headlights, the headlight plugs have to be rewired also.

• Like 2

Thank you! Very useful. I got a few things hooked to it and noticed i had broken pins and no sodering iron. Im going to make it a seperate project and make it nice later. The hardbody and 521 use the same headlight plugs. A co-worker left that - in my truck many years ago, I finally got around to seeing what it was. It went in pretty simple. I just have to grab the electronic speed sensor out of one of my other tranny's and get a new oil sensor.

• Like 1