521 on d21 frame

dat nasty

Older Datsuns definitely had a different way of doing things.

We built a completely custom wiring harness for a 510 a long time ago and we wanted to use all the factory dash knobs/switches. It took the better part of an hour to figure out the path of current in and out of the headlight switch.

Old Corvette wiring is similar.

• Like 2
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So that explains why I could never hold a charge. when I first bought the 521 it did not have have headlights so i addd grounds untill they came on. And more untill thet stayed on. I carried a spare battery for a year. Once i put amp/subs in (2000w) i had to choose between lights or beats or i could kill the battery at a red light. The harness didnt have any hope, every time you touch something it would snap.

• Like 1

Easy as it gets, followed the manual from summit, its an older model dp10002. Posotive signal wire to all light controls. I think you can get an electronic speed sensor for the end of your cable, i had one for the tranny laying around. You have to calibrate it over a mile so its acurate no matter what tire size or gears. Tach was one wire to coil negative. Gives water temp in degrees, oil pressure, voltage,speed, tach and fuel.

• Like 1

Put the 14's that came w the nissan back on and stretched the bed around them. Dont know how much, ill find out when i center and square it. The bed was pretty beat to begin with so its not bending evenly. A little finess, a tape measure and some brute force/ignorance should get it close enouph. Plan on getting a better bed and using this for trailer skins

20170525_204202_zpspyvgfg6k.jpg

Ride height on 27" tires

20170526_215257_zpswcz3qsy0.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried so hard to make canby today but no driveline yet. If anybody out there is interested in my 71 chassis, straight as an arrow minus rear cab mounts, Offenhauser intake, webber, pertronix electric ignition. Rebuilt decked head. New water pump needs installed. Ran when parked. Leaks oil. Will do 95 all day on 4 speed on 14's. It is on TSW 16's. Custom extended lugs. 3 inch lowering blocks and torsion turned down rides smoother than youd think.

• Like 2

Have you tested your high and low beams on your headlights?

The reason wayno keeps mentioning the headlight wiring is because while yes they use the same plug, the wires are located on different pins most likely. From 720 to older stuff, this is the case.

The headlights will turn on, but they will backfeed and the lights won't respond to the switch correctly.

It's coming along nicely.

• Like 1

As far as i know since they're normal lights there is no polarity? Its just the filament completing a circuit like a house buld. The only reason you follow polarity on those is so you dont get shocked unscrewing a bulb. If im missing something please let me know. Every thing works great. Lows, all 4 highs. Sometimes when i first connect the battery the highs take a couple tries but not always. Suspecting relay?

• Like 1

Fact is the square lights on the 720 are different than round lights on the 521, I know this, Charlie knows this, anyone that has used a 720 harness in their 520/521 knows this, I have no idea how the headlights on a D21 are wired, they may not be the same as the 720 headlights/wiring, I have put 720 wiring harnesses 3 different early Datsun trucks now with round headlights, the 720 headlight circuit is a strange animal, but it works.

I also use the 521 wiper motor in my wiring harness conversions, and it has to be wired a certain way or the intermittent wiper module will get smoked, by the way I use the 720 column in the conversions also.

• Like 1

I agree!!!  LOL 

It is the only way I can think of to document for future use the custom wiring harness I am building for this 66 520 build.  Wayno has been a great source of information in doing this custom harness.

• Like 1

The intermittent mode was a bitch for me to figure out, I smoked 3 of the modules before I figured it out, but the rest of it is just trial and error, all you have to keep in mind is that the 521 wiper motor only has one hot wire going in, so you have to figure out which wire in the D21 wiring harness is the hot wire, then the rest are grounds and all you have to do is put your wiper switch into the position you want and then keep switching testing the ground wires till you find that mode(slow/fast).

I have no idea what color wires the D21 wiper circuit has, and charlie's wiring diagram doesn't show the specific wire colors/lines either, his wiring diagram only shows that the main ground(black) has not changed, black is ground in both the 521 and 720 harnesses,   

The intermittent module is easy to smoke, I don't recall which color wires that one has, I didn't figure the wiring harnesses out going by specific colors in that circuit, I just finally got it right, then posted which 720 color wires went to which 521 color wires when Charlie went down that road so he would not smoke his intermittent module.

I have a giant 720 wiring diagram on my wall(4'X8'), I figured out the rest of my 720 to 521 truck wiring one wire at a time, the brights indicator light in the dash was a bitch as you have to use both 720 wires and a plastic bulb holder stuffed in the the brights indicator hole in the instrument cluster as the 720 instrument cluster has no dedicated ground for that circuit, while the 521 instrument cluster does.

I never actually smoked a 521 wiper motor, maybe you didn't smoke yours either, you just have to figure out which wires go where, your intermittent module may be a different story though.

• Like 1

Yeah I got careless on the wipers the rest of the harness I tested as I went and everything was color for color, the wipers were the very last thing i hooked up. I hate the hardbody wiper speeds so i picked up everything for infinate adjust out of pathfinder. Going to sit down with a meter and do it right... I've also always wanted to put a button on the floor for 1 wipe, not necessary if this all works.

• Like 1