521 on d21 frame

dat nasty

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think he is all right, that steering wheel and the dash cover make it look a lot closer to the dash than it really is, plus it is tilted up in that photo, my 720 tilt column cover touches the plastic shroud when in the full up position, and there is about a three quarter inch gap in the all the way down position, by the way there is a notch in the column cover that matches the dash shroud perfect.

Also to let everyone know if the 720 non-tilt column is used, the stock 521 steering column mount hardware is used, there are no modifications needed, as the 520/521/720 non-tilt column tubes are the same size, but all the 720 mount hardware on the tube has to be cut off.

I found after taking them 4 bolts out that hold the lower tube to the 720 mount hardware, it was a bitch to get them back in/aligned.

• Like 1

I left the mounting bracket alone on the column at the top and put in a flat bracket in under the dash to bolt it to. I cut out the firewall part of the column and made it work. It was loose and I could slide it around where I needed it. I will post a couple pics of that very shortly. It went in way easier than I thought. If the cluster is in the way I can put a couple washers in to clearance. I'm going to find out tonight I did not even think about it. I've been trying to leave room here and there on everything I do. I can't believe how easy that one was. I thought I was going to have to modify the shaft length and change out Rag joints

• Like 1

You don't have to worry about anything but placing the steering wheel were you want it to be depth wise, as the collapsible part between the rag joint and the steering gear is adjustable.

There is one thing that might be an issue though, normally the rag joint is up at the firewall, and the knuckle is down at the steering gear on power steering 2wd applications on the 720, as the rag joint will not clear the upper control arm where it mounts, but your using a D21 frame, so that might be different, let us know if anything rubs, I believe I ground off the corner of the control arm to make it clear until I bought a proper steering column.

• Like 1

You can see I tried making the original holes bigger to give more shaft angle but ended up just turning the shaft and going straight from the bottom. just need a longer bolt for the second one. Cluster plastic cleared w plenty to spare, I'm going to drill the slots more to let it up higher, comes all the way down to my legs almost the seat. Totally worth it

• Like 1

Rag and U-joint are the same set up on the Hardbody as the one I just got. Hardbody setup was way too long even collapsed

Rag joint is about a half an inch from my air conditioning lines which I might just be pulling out anyways I find a more compact solution. A little more than half an inch from u joint to egr tube.

• Like 1

It looks like neither of you guys (Wayno and Dat Nasty) have the column supported at the firewall.I would weld the flange on there and bolt it to the firewall, otherwise the lower half of the column is going to flop and clunk around.

Mine don't move around much, that is 1/4 inch thick rubber I used at the firewall, and is is surrounded by that metal piece on all sides except the top.

I could make a metal piece for the top also, but it doesn't move now, so I don't see the point, it has been that way for years and I have power steering, so it isn't hard to turn either.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

20161009_173313_zps4z8ytbwh.jpg

20161204_165058_zpskfmmpgt4.jpg

Engine bay is pretty much wired/plumbed except lights, everything fit except the battery, relocating it to the back. Wiring harness is laid out in the cab, ready to start wiring the dash next. Everything is going pretty easy, most accessories even look to have the same color wiring.

• Like 2

Remember that square headlights are not wired the same as round headlights, you cannot just plug them onto the lights and expect them to work properly.

I made pigtails from other headlight plugs from different wiring harnesses, plugged it into the headlights and then plugged the wires in the proper places and mine work just like they were stock.

I also figured out how to use the stock 521 wiper motor with a modern 720 wiring harness, I smoked a couple 720 intermittent wiper electrical units figuring it out, but I did figure it out, I have off/intermittent/slow/fast just like a stock 720 does in my 521.

• Like 1

The KA radiator was too tall, 521 radiator is to deep to use the fan/clutch. Going electric. Not sure what I'm going to do for intake/hood yet. It sticks out pretty good. The perimeter of my hood is pretty much shot but it has a good middle, I'm looking for a hood with a good outside edge all the way around so I can cut my center out and use it make a cool stockish looking scoop

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...