521 on d21 frame

dat nasty

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I finally found a bag kit that I want. A Guy in Arizona is selling them on Amazon. Less than $800 for a basic universal kit. Looks way better than a lot of the crap I have been finding for $2000. And it's not chassis tech or helix! Tank, Dual compressor, 8 valves, 2500 bags and controller. Half inch valves even . Ordering it tonight. As soon as I receive it and the 4link kit the fab begins. Still trying to find out if I need to go to a one piece driveline or if the stock will work.

• Like 1

The 521 steering box and column are one piece. The D-21 will have a U joint, a rag joint or probably both and splined so it is collapsible, like the 720. I put a 720 column in my 620. (which also had the one piece box and column) With luck it will also have power steering.

I almost forgot, I'm going with manual steering on this one, I like it better in the 2 Wheel Dr. trucks. A few years ago we did put a custom air conditioning into this frame. I plan on using it ;)

• Like 1

She sits tall. Probably going with a body drop. It got dark on me I'll post more pics tomorrow. Had to cut out the front of the inner drivers fender to clear the steering box. Going to have to cut out most of the rear of the front passenger inner to clear the brake/fuel lines. Should probably tub it. Set down way easier than I thought. The middle mounts are close enough I can open the holes up a bit and it should bolt down there. Cab sits pretty far forward of the rear mounts on the frame. Fronts close but no cigar. But all and all its all close enough to call do able. I'll take pics in the light in the morning

• Like 1

As far forward as I could pull it. Motor touching firewall, Front mounts are still off. Middle mounts are close enough. Going to cut rear mounts off of the frame and move them a few inches forward. Need to lift it back up and "clearance" the firewall and put on a more inset wheel to decide if this is worth it. still probably cheaper and safer to narrow this front end than save the 521 frame.

thought for sure somebody would say something about my Nissan crane lol

• Like 1

As far forward as I could pull it. Motor touching firewall, Front mounts are still off. Middle mounts are close enough. Going to cut rear mounts off of the frame and move them a few inches forward. Need to lift it back up and "clearance" the firewall and put on a more inset wheel to decide if this is worth it. still probably cheaper and safer to narrow this front end than save the 521 frame.

thought for sure somebody would say something about my Nissan crane lol

Well now we know about the D21 engine/521 cab alignment and if the front wheel was going to center, it doesn't center, the engine is too far back.

You do what you have to do to lift the cab off the frame, the engine hoist wasn't going to just roll on gravel easily, your way seems to have worked great.

Narrowing a frame is not that easy, you need to consider the front steering, the center link would need to be shortened, that means when it wears out, another one would have to be modified/shortened, at least it will if it is like the 720 steering assembly, custom parts suck, you cannot buy the anywhere.

• Like 2

In the picture above the front wheel looks to be off center of the wheel well to the front of center.

One thing that you want to be sure of and that is can you remove the valve cover with the engine and firewall positioned like it is?  Wayno and I bot had this problem with our 520s.

Narrowing the frame is where I draw the line, I would rather use the 521 frame. Considering all possibilities right now. I have an open mind. At this point I do not consider anything to be a loss or backtracking. They sell short Control arms for the D21. I have more research to do now. Starting to lean away from bagging the front. Probably still going to do the back though. Now I guess the question is do I want a nice clean Lolo or crazy wide stance

• Like 1

Keep your eyes out for a 720 chassis they are much easier conversions.

Reason I went to the 720 chassis.

Ball joints

Disk brakes

Can get 2" lowered control arms

Removable transmission cross member, make pulling and installing engine and transmission as a unit easier.

Tilt column available

Used heater and AC and wiring harness, harness is a lot of work but is worth the upgrade.

Parts availability

There are probably more positives for using the 720 chassis but these are some of the major benefits that I remember.

• Like 1

Really low is kinda a bitch, the carrier cross member on whatever frame you choose needs to be replaced with one that don't hang down.

The 720 front rear leaf mounts hang down a long ways while the 520/521 ones are not so bad, I took the 720 front leaf mounts off my 720 frame and replaced them with 520/521 mounts.

I made a couple 720 drop arms for the front, when I made them I shortened them, the first set were only a half inch shorter total(quarter inch each side), but when I lowered the torsion bars the front wheels started hitting the front fenders when I turned the wheels, so I made another set an inch and a half shorter(3 inches total), that fixed the fitment issue but made the front track narrower than the back, that is where I am right now.

I have modified the bottom of the frame/suspension to the point that I hardly ever hit anything anymore except when I go into parking lots with them narrow speed bumps, I have to avoid them, and I have a great ride(has full suspension), I am positive you could do the same thing with the D21 frame, but it takes time to do all the mods.

Most of the frame mods are done in the first 6 pages in this thread link below.

http://www.nwdatsuns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&p=62960#p62960

The drop arms are on page 6 in the thread link below.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27671-1966-datsun-520-kingcab-project-act-2/

DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I ordered a 4link kit so The bed is getting cut up anyways. Probably some tube mounting. If one wanted a fairly tall truck or a 4x4 this wold be awesome. Clearence the firewall to move the cab forward 2 inched and the front and middle mounts are close enough. Cut rear cab mounts off to relocate. Holes in Frame mounts are about half an inch wider than the cab. If I did this again I would use a 720 frame. I have a couple more weeks until my suspension gets here so I kept moving with the cab. Of course welder is out of gas and I don't think anybody is open until Monday

• Like 1

Power to you, if I were to do a 4 x 4 I would use a leafspring truck frame. My buddy put Toyota axles under a 720 once it got tall real fast driveline was fine left to right side even. For a daily it's probably fine but to upgrade 4link is hella $$$ ballistic metal fab has some trick shit.

• Like 1

I'm watching both you and fast720,as I'm considering a wd21 pathfinder frame for a 4x4 project I'm looking in to. It's nice to have an idea of the issues.

Can't wait to see that project.

IFS 4x4's don't get enough love.

Put an AWD t-case in it and lower it down and have yourself a Subi killer.

• Like 1

I've been driving my ifs for 13 years now. 3rd motor 2nd tranny. 2nd cab. We've been threw ALOT together. Just asks for more. It goes on more places on 31's then a solid axle on 33's. Been a die hard struck. Brace your idle arm at the very least. I just copied cal-minis. I wouldn't put bigger than a 33 on stock ifs.

Side swiped on the freeway bent frame. After the 521 I'm getting the left hand drop rock assault front axle from summit.

Do the have a transfer that bolts up right? I've never looked. Just assumed they where transaxle. I had a pair of matching d21's I called the fleetsan. Wanted to slam one still 4x4 but I was young and inexperienced and sold it. Now that I'm learning body drop I regret it every day

• Like 1