Brake switch on clutch pedal?

glorydime

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The one on the clutch is a neutral safety switch, to keep the vehicle from starting without the clutch pushed in.

There should be a separate one for the brakes on the brake pedal

• Like 1

So odd my 72 521 doesn't have that neutral switch but has a brake pedal switch. This 70 521 has only a brake junction switch in the engine bay. Is this normal or do I need to instal another switch to the pedal or will the junction switch suffice for the brakes?

• Like 1

Never liked this idea.  My Canadian '71 didn't have this and I would have disconnected it anyway. In a pinch you can shove in gear and use the starter to move your inoperative vehicle to the side of the road.

• Like 1

Probably not a neutral switch on the early trucks and cars, it's a 3rd gear retard activator, I could be wrong...  As stated, early trucks and roadsters had a brake light switch that is hydraulic on the brake line junction block on the engine side of the firewall.

• Like 1

We're lucky the trucks at home in the garage, we've been slowly repairing stuff to get it back on the road. But this brake switch at the junction will work with out a pedal switch? I only ask cause if I need to instal a pedal switch might as well do it now before I put the new master cylinder in.

• Like 2

Probably not a neutral switch on the early trucks and cars, it's a 3rd gear retard activator, I could be wrong...  As stated, early trucks and roadsters had a brake light switch that is hydraulic on the brae line junction block on the engine side of the firewall.

I don't think so. The transmission would have that switch. A clutch switch could only interrupt this and there's no reason to use the clutch while in 3rd gear other than to up or down shift in which case the trans switch would do.

• Like 1

The in engine compartment hydraulic brake switch has a unique advantage over the brake pedal mounted switch.  The brake pedal switch tells the following vehicle "Well, at least I tried to brake, so good luck if you are following too closely!" 

The hydraulic switch says "I am braking stupid! Back off!  Because I WILL be stopping all too soon for you to realize that something has happened while you were texting."  If you don't have enough brake fluid to actually stop, the brake light switch will not close and you have to pray that the follower is not texting or sexting.

• Like 2

The switch on the clutch pedal is used in the retard the timing when in third gear, one of the conditions that has to be met for the timing retard to happen is the clutch must be fully out.  If your 521 has a Weber carb, or a five speed transmission, or a matchbox distributor, you have already disabled the timing retard system, so the clutch pedal switch does nothing.

I have only 1970 to 1971 521 trucks.  No 1972 521 trucks.  All my 521 trucks do not have a neutral safety switch.  That might have changed for 1972, I do not know

• Like 1

If you are in 3rd gear the clutch will always be fully up as likely, you are driving along. Under what conditions would it be down if in 3rd??????  Shifting into or out of 3rd, or maybe stopped at the lights with the transmission in 3rd???. So what does this do exactly?

• Like 1

I am not the Nissan engineer that designed the system.  I do not know why.

I figured this out a long time ago, while driving through city traffic in third, just touching the clutch pedal, caused the engine to speed up slightly, because the timing got advanced.

I am probably one of the few people who even know of the existence of this manual, and have one.

FlowGiuideValve_zps6419db39.jpg

• Like 1

I am not the Nissan engineer that designed the system.  I do not know why.

I figured this out a long time ago, while driving through city traffic in third, just touching the clutch pedal, caused the engine to speed up slightly, because the timing got advanced.

I am probably one of the few people who even know of the existence of this manual, and have one.

FlowGiuideValve_zps6419db39.jpg

Very, odd.

• Like 1

The truck in the photo is a 70 and yeah on my 72 I had to cut the thread on the master to make sure the pedal didn't push. Last night to my surprise once I figured out about the brake switch we didn't have to shorten the master thread at all. Bleed and adjusted great. Lucked out. But yes on my 72 I don't have that clutch switch. By the way this truck will turn over without the clutch depressed. i think DanielC is correct. I don understand it but he must be right!!!

• Like 1

There is also a throttle position switch on the stock carb.  The third gear timing retard is deactivated about 2/3 to wide open throttle by this switch.

There are some other switches used in a series arrangement, that all have to be turned on to trigger the retard points relay.

Replacing the carb with an after market carb breaks the circuit for third gear activation, so after that, eliminating the clutch pedal switch is just extra work.

Yes, you can crank, and start a 521 in gear, with the clutch not pressed.  Learn to shift your 521 without using the clutch, and you can still get home if you have a clutch master or slave cylinder go bad

• Like 1

We will in do time, I'm going to make sure this friends truck runs with as much stick parts as possible. Only reason he went with a weber was because the stock hitachi was thrashed. But yeah sooner or later we will set him away from the original distributor and put in a matchbox.