New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's going to be an application specific part.

If you can't find one, you can always make one. McMaster Carr sells oil impregnated bronze bushings and bushing stock - https://www.mcmaster.com/#bronze-sleeve-bearings/=15s49uwand https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bronze-alloy-rods/=15s4al1

• Like 3

^^^Thanks, good to know. I'm going to pull it out today and take it to the parts place. I'm hoping it's a common size. 

I also took the generator to the shop today to have it gone over. It was working fine before I pulled the motor but since the motor's out I figure now's the time. I also talked to the shop guy about the wiper motor and he's psyched on reviving old Datsuns and excited to maybe take a crack at it. 

Does anyone else have a 320 with working wipers?

• Like 2

^^^Thanks, good to know. I'm going to pull it out today and take it to the parts place. I'm hoping it's a common size. 

I also took the generator to the shop today to have it gone over. It was working fine before I pulled the motor but since the motor's out I figure now's the time. I also talked to the shop guy about the wiper motor and he's psyched on reviving old Datsuns and excited to maybe take a crack at it. 

Does anyone else have a 320 with working wipers?

Have you ever heard the saying "don't fix what ain't broke", leave it be, they made stuff to last(over built) back then, these guys can't get the quality of materials they used back then now days, a new part now is a down grade of a good used part.

• Like 2

Every 320 wiper motor I ever tested worked, but 50 percent the the wiper assembly pivots were frozen/seized, you have to remove the wiper assembly(I call it a "wiper transmission), and use lots of PB blaster on both sides of the pivots and SLOWLY work it loose like you were trying to remove a rusted bolt.

• Like 1

Every 320 wiper motor I ever tested worked, but 50 percent the the wiper assembly pivots were frozen/seized, you have to remove the wiper assembly(I call it a "wiper transmission), and use lots of PB blaster on both sides of the pivots and SLOWLY work it loose like you were trying to remove a rusted bolt.

Ditto on everything you say in this post, Wayno. I thought my motor was blasted when a PO converted to Negative ground. The motor was off and in a box of parts when I acquired the pickup. Come to find out, the motor's fine. the passenger spindle was locked up and I destroyed it trying to take it apart. I have another one come from the 'Great Northwest'. You guys are saviours to us Datsun people in the heartland. We have virtually zero when it comes to vintage Datsun stuff. We did have Datsuns here since at least the mid-60's. First dealer in this little Oklahoma town of 20,000 established in about 1964-65. They all got used up and recycled around here. Anyway, I just got the heater rebuilt, back in, & working like a champ yesterday in 'Mighty Mouse'. When the wiper spindle gets here next week, the wipers will be back in and operational. Then the glove box and lid go back on and the hood. It'll be the first time that the Mouse will be totally back in one piece in about twenty six months. 

Also, I' sure that you've all figured it out that the park position is adjustable on the 320 wiper motor. Loosen the two lock-screws on the little stamped cap over the transmission spindle and rotate to adjust the park position. Dammit, why can't life be so simple now-a-days ?? PROGRESS ???

Steve

• Like 1

Good advice everyone, thanks. I'm having the generator gone over by a pro 'cause one of the long bolts that runs the length of the body rattled out and I can't see what's in there and don't want to open it up myself. Also the pulley has a lot of play in the axle. And it's cheap--only $60 for the service. They make modern alternators that bolt on to J15s but like the idea of keeping it stock. And agree with what Wayno said about old stuff being better quality. 

I'll take the wiper assembly apart when I take the dash out to repaint. That's great news about it being maybe just being seized. I thought it was maybe the motor since it's exposed in the back and there's some suspect wiring going on. Below is a pic. Originally was there a cap over the back of the motor or all they all exposed like that?

IMG_1718.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that is an early one, I hope it works, your not likely going to find another one.

I converted over to a 720 motor on my U320, then afterwards I found a good original in one of the boxes I got with the truck.

Here is the 720 wiper motor mounted and test wiring.

DSCN2800.JPG

Here is the back side with all the holes needed to mount drilled, only one had to be drilled in the cab sheet metal(top one).

DSCN2801.JPG

Here is what it looks like now.

DSCN2868.JPG

Here is what my early original wiper motor looks like.

DSCN2849.JPG

DSCN2850.JPG

DSCN2862.JPG

• Like 1

Good advice everyone, thanks. I'm having the generator gone over by a pro 'cause one of the long bolts that runs the length of the body rattled out and I can't see what's in there and don't want to open it up myself. Also the pulley has a lot of play in the axle. And it's cheap--only $60 for the service. They make modern alternators that bolt on to J15s but like the idea of keeping it stock. And agree with what Wayno said about old stuff being better quality. 

I'll take the wiper assembly apart when I take the dash out to repaint. That's great news about it being maybe just being seized. I thought it was maybe the motor since it's exposed in the back and there's some suspect wiring going on. Below is a pic. Originally was there a cap over the back of the motor or all they all exposed like that?

IMG_1718.jpg

Mine looks totally different than that. The motor shaft lays parallel to the cowl mounting panel and extends over to the left related to this photo and there's a right angle gearbox with output shaft extending into the passenger compartment through the cowl. Maybe there were more than one supplier to the factory and different motors when they were being built ?? Someone with more experience and exposure to the 320's will have to chime in. I don't have a photo handy of my motor and mounting or I'd post it.

At any rate there should be a cover for your motor at one time.

Steve

• Like 1

Mine looks totally different than that. The motor shaft lays parallel to the cowl mounting panel and extends over to the left related to this photo and there's a right angle gearbox with output shaft extending into the passenger compartment through the cowl. Maybe there were more than one supplier to the factory and different motors when they were being built ?? Someone with more experience and exposure to the 320's will have to chime in. I don't have a photo handy of my motor and mounting or I'd post it.

At any rate there should be a cover for your motor at one time.

Steve

I added more photos to my post above, it shows what an early 1962 Datsun 320 wiper motor looks like.

Here are the guts, looks just like his.

DSCN6278_zpstfsuyu1j.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that is an early one, I hope it works, your not likely going to find another one.

I converted over to a 720 motor on my U320, then afterwards I found a good original in one of the boxes I got with the truck.

Here is the 720 wiper motor mounted and test wiring.

DSCN2800.JPG

Here is the back side with all the holes needed to mount drilled, only one had to be drilled in the cab sheet metal(top one).

DSCN2801.JPG

Here is what it looks like now.

DSCN2868.JPG

Wayno, I believe that's your right-hand-drive U320. Did they use the same motor unit as the RHD pickups as the LHD's ?? Looking at your photo of the pickup cowl, I don't know if my Left hand drive unit would mount on a RHD pickup ?? Looks like it'd interfer with the cowl air box unless it mounted upside down.

Steve

• Like 1

If it doesn't work I'll try and have it rebuilt--the guy who's going over my alternator says he's good with old wiper motors and comes recommended by other car guys I know.

I think my 320 is a pretty early 62, if I'm reading the VIN right it's 00568 of the line.

Wayno thanks for all the pics--I think my motor is a match to the early 62 you posted. Do you think there's any chance I might be able to find a cap for mine?

• Like 1

If it doesn't work I'll try and have it rebuilt--the guy who's going over my alternator says he's good with old wiper motors and comes recommended by other car guys I know.

I think my 320 is a pretty early 62, if I'm reading the VIN right it's 00568 of the line.

Wayno thanks for all the pics--I think my motor is a match to the early 62 you posted. Do you think there's any chance I might be able to find a cap for mine?

No, the early wiper motors are different, the covers are not even close to the later motors, even your wiper motor looks like it mounts different than my early wiper motor(5 mount bolts), both mine have only 3 mount bolts.

• Like 1

I always thought my 320 wiper motor looked a lot like the one in my Austin Healey. No surprise there with the strong Datsun/Morris connection.

When I rebuilt my spindles, getting them apart was the hard part. Since they were frozen, I had to soak them and heat them repeatedly to get them undone. When reassembling them, I staked them on the tip of the spindle where the drive nub goes to "grow" them a bit, taking up some of the slack that occurred when disassembling them.

I also used a lot of grease in an attempt to seal them against future water intrusion. They worked fine in the dozen years I had my green 320 on the road, but I always wished I had spent more time to do them more carefully. Maybe a rubber o-ring could be stuffed in there before the nub goes back on. This would help keep them from seizing up again. But then, so will regular use.

• Like 1

If anybody is interested, I created a thread recording what I did when I took my stock generator apart, including the re-polarizing process to negative ground:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/generator-work-t602602.html

But at $60, I would probably pay for the service to be done by a professional as well... Although, it was a good learning experience.

• Like 3

Thanks, hopefully others find it useful!  As much as I wanted to replace some of the old rusted bits with new ones, I quickly found out that it's not always possible, given that some of the stuff is not common these days.  In some cases, drilling things out and tapping for more common thread pitches is a lot more work than I'm willing to put in.  :P

• Like 1

The inside of my generator was a mess. It was out of alignment and dragging. It's shocking it was still working. 

Deerio it's funny you mentioned how hard it is to find those old thread patterns. Whoever monkeyed with my generator last cut off the threaded ends and welded them on new bolts rather than tapping something new.

29e223b.jpg

• Like 1

The inside of my generator was a mess. It was out of alignment and dragging. It's shocking it was still working. 

Deerio it's funny you mentioned how hard it is to find those old thread patterns. Whoever monkeyed with my generator last cut off the threaded ends and welded them on new bolts rather than tapping something new.

29e223b.jpg

Necessity is the mother of invention, it's been said.

• Like 3

We got the rebuilt J15 bolted back in and married to the transmission but ran into a problem with the distributor. The J15 replacement points that came with the tune up kit doesn't fit the distributor. Check out the picture, the original points are above the plate sits on a pin. The replacement J15 points are pictured towards the bottom and there's not slot for the pin to sit in and the hole pattern is wrong.

IMG_1776.jpg

Does anyone recognize the original points? Is time to maybe convert to this? https://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-1741-Ignitor-Datsun-Cylinder/dp/B000N2XORG

• Like 1

The points on the left are for an L-series motor.  A later L-series, after the dual points were phased out.  Try a Napa store - make them look in the catalog.  Or clean and reuse your old points.  File the contacts clean with a points file -  about $1 at Northern Tool.  Typically I use a cut-off wheel to file them - its faster.  

• Like 2